Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Slargos on May 18, 2011, 06:47:21 AM
:lol:

"The background"  :lol:

Can you be more specific? There are plenty of angles there, you know.
It's a tapestry of Robert defeating Rheagar at the Trident.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Larch

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 18, 2011, 06:51:45 AM
Quote from: Slargos on May 18, 2011, 06:47:21 AM
:lol:

"The background"  :lol:

Can you be more specific? There are plenty of angles there, you know.
It's a tapestry of Robert defeating Rheagar at the Trident.

Yes, that tapestry, my hunch is that it's based on "The Battle of San Romano" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Battle_of_San_Romano).

Edit: Ok, it's a screencap like this. Would be great if the scene had more lighting:

BuddhaRhubarb

I'm really digging this show. never read the books, though now I guess I'll have to.
:p

Josephus

I'm gonna start reading the first book this weekend. :)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 18, 2011, 11:55:52 AM
I'm really digging this show. never read the books, though now I guess I'll have to.
since before or after the gay scene?  :P

Seriously, you don't need to read the books.  After 5 shows, I know where this is going and I haven't read the books:
Robert will be killed by his wife, civil war will ensue, all current protagonists will be killed over the course of the war, the victorious side won't be for long.
The Wildlings will wage some form of semi war in the north against the barbarians beyond the gate.
The nightwatch is undermanned and underfunded, so it will crumble.
The Eastern princess will re-awaken her dragon eggs somehow and use the dragons to forge an empire in the east.
Once it's done, she'll invade the West lands, pick a fight with whatever force is left and eventually marry Robert's bastard son, the blacksmith to sit on the throne and unite the realm.

Easy to predict.  Still a good show.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Larch

You know nothing, Jon Snow...

Berkut

Someone read wiki and thinks that makes them clever. Cute.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on May 18, 2011, 12:32:25 PM
Seriously, you don't need to read the books.

I am not aware of a circumstance where you need to read a work of fiction,

I guess since I suspect Sauron will lose I shouldn't read LOTR eh?

Is the only reason to read fiction is to discover the ending?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Damn spoilers.
It's just like the time I was halfway through War and Peace and some jerk told me Napoleon loses in the end.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 18, 2011, 01:03:05 PM
Damn spoilers.
It's just like the time I was halfway through War and Peace and some jerk told me Napoleon loses in the end.

Which edition are you reading? It's just possible that vampire zombies will save him before the end.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Damn spoilers.
Pity they didn't tell you that before you started.  One of the most over-rated books ever.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

Damn spoilers.

You BASTARD. I've spent the last six months reading that, haven't gotten to the last chapter yet.
;)

The dragon thing is the easiest thing to figure out, I think. They keep repeating, in the show, ad nauseum, how the horses can't cross rivers. Hmm, if only they had something that can breach that river somehow.  :hmm:

I haven't read the boosk yet, though, so I may be off.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on May 18, 2011, 01:16:15 PM
Damn spoilers.
Pity they didn't tell you that before you started.  One of the most over-rated books ever.

yeah but compared to Martin, Tolstoy is terse
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Richard Hakluyt

Yep, Martin probably thinks that War and Peace is pretty good for a short story  :D

Josephus

And at least Tolstoy finished the damn thing.
Civis Romanus Sum