News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

Quote from: Valmy on May 16, 2011, 10:25:39 AM
BTW I really enjoyed the gay scene not for the creepy manscaping or BJ but because it explains a bit of what led to Renly betraying his brother.  Hope for more creepy expository pillow talk from the rainbow knights later on.

What made the scene creepy?

It does seem to differ from the book, where the answer is "Renly is vain and Stannis has a stick up his arse." Why make Renly's decision the result of seduction by a dumb twink?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on May 16, 2011, 10:23:26 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on May 16, 2011, 10:20:27 AM
Is Littlefingers wearing a jacket with a zipper?

Maybe.

I like the costumes they make it really seem like another world that is sorta like Medieval Euroland but not identical.  The clothes are just a little odd but plausible like Jaime's duster.

But a metal zipper might be a little much :P
While hand made zippers may be possible, wouldn't they be ridiculously time consuming to make and thus expensive? Suppose it could be a status symbol among the rich. :hmm:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Faeelin on May 16, 2011, 10:26:49 AM
What made the scene creepy?

It does seem to differ from the book, where the answer is "Renly is vain and Stannis has a stick up his arse." Why make Renly's decision the result of seduction by a dumb twink?

Erotic armpit shaving is a bit creepy :P

In the books it is obvious Renly and Loras are conspiring I was glad to see it.  'Dumb twink'?  That is the mighty Knight of Flowers you are talking about!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

I see that for the purposes of the show they decided to get rid of 90% of the subtlety.  :lol:

crazy canuck

So now all of Renly's motivations for joining that faction are reduced to him being gay.

The Brain

LOL they put fag sex in the show? FIAL
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 16, 2011, 11:17:30 AM
So now all of Renly's motivations for joining that faction are reduced to him being gay.
gays are evil, it's normal.  I think they're even worst than incestuous brothers&sisters.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: The Brain on May 16, 2011, 11:18:52 AM
LOL they put fag sex in the show? FIAL
there's fag sex everywhere on cable nowadays.  I think only Band of Brothers/The Pacific did not have gay sex.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

I have yet to see any gay ass-spearing scene on cable.  Except Queer as Folk Music.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 16, 2011, 11:17:30 AM

Um...Loras made pretty convincing arguements as to why he should be King and offered the support of the armies and financial support of Highgarden.  I think anybody would have found that tempting.

Besides the Tyrells are trying to outdue their rivals to the South by putting a Tyrell on the throne since the Martells enjoyed their special status as sorta co-rulers with the Targs for so long.

There is alot more to this than simply: Hes gay LOL.

But maybe you were just trolling Marty :blush:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on May 16, 2011, 11:02:22 AM
I see that for the purposes of the show they decided to get rid of 90% of the subtlety.  :lol:

I don't think that sort of subtlety would work at all in a TV series made for a mass audience.  I can see why they are doing things this way.  And not just with the Renly-Loras thing you could clearly see Illyrio and Varys talking during the Arya scene.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on May 16, 2011, 11:33:31 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 16, 2011, 11:02:22 AM

I don't think that sort of subtlety would work at all in a TV series made for a mass audience.  I can see why they are doing things this way.  And not just with the Renly-Loras thing you could clearly see Illyrio and Varys talking during the Arya scene.

I agree, if they were talebanistically faithful to the novels the series would need to be tremendously long and demanding both for the producers and for the audience, and even if it's HBO TV is an innately different setting with different rules, so being blunt and to the point is an asset.

Slargos

In Southland, people were still going "OMG! He's a faggot?" mid season 3. I thought that show hit the right level of subtlety. They could've been satisfied with the clues during the joust here, aswell, but instead they need to slap on a goddamned trumpet and town crier announcing the fact.

Grey Fox

Wait, who's gay in Southland?

Cooper, it can only be Cooper.

Can't believe I missed that.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Viking

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 16, 2011, 12:00:19 PM
Wait, who's gay in Southland?

Cooper, it can only be Cooper.

Can't believe I missed that.

When I think of Seedy I think of him, just without the cats.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.