Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Viking on May 09, 2011, 03:23:03 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 09, 2011, 03:22:23 PM
Quote from: Martinus on May 09, 2011, 03:19:11 PM
Actually, I thought Tyrion is a Richard-III-esque character when he becomes the Hand of Joffrey. A misshaped cripple vilified for his evil (even though it is not true).
Haven't gotten that far yet.  I'm only just finishing the first book.

The is a fully spoilered zone, sorry.
I'm fine with spoilers, just commenting that I can't weigh in one way or the other as I haven't gotten that far in the reading yet.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Berkut

Of course, while it is easy to bad on Catelyn, Jaime was just as bad, with his idiotic confronting of Ned in the streets of Kings Landing. That was not part of anyone's plan either, so far as I can tell.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on May 09, 2011, 03:39:23 PM
Of course, while it is easy to bad on Catelyn, Jaime was just as bad, with his idiotic confronting of Ned in the streets of Kings Landing. That was not part of anyone's plan either, so far as I can tell.

Or tossing little boys out of windows.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

So far with the series I'm not seeing so much of where the budget was spent. How are they spending $15million an episode for just talking? Not many flashy graphics to be seen and the cities seem rather sparse so far. Just not getting where the money went. The joust looked rather low budget and amateurish even.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on May 09, 2011, 01:42:21 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 09, 2011, 12:58:41 PM
Not sure that is accurate.  Ned fought and succeeded in the civil war which itself had shifting loyalties. 
Not sure that is accurate.  Except for the Lannister strike for the throne at the end, the war seemed pretty straightforward.

The war was only "straightforward" in the sense that the rebels wanted to end the rule of the King.  But who was for them or against them at any given time was anything but straightforward.  There were split of loyalty within houses and well of shifts of loyalty other than the Lannisters.  It took over a year and multiple battles to finally decide the issue.

It is said the War of Roses was used as an inspiration and the Book does a good job of capturing the uncertainty of who is loyal to whom both during and after the rebellion.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tyr on May 09, 2011, 04:03:53 PM
So far with the series I'm not seeing so much of where the budget was spent. How are they spending $15million an episode for just talking? Not many flashy graphics to be seen and the cities seem rather sparse so far. Just not getting where the money went. The joust looked rather low budget and amateurish even.

Where are you getting numbers of that level?  All estimates of the budget I've read say roughly 5 million an episode.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

Some people need to start dieing, quickly. Other then random recently knighted Irish.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Solmyr

Anyway, this episode had not enough Arya and too much Jon. I realize that they need to advance Jon's storyline, but he's just so boring.

Gendry looked a bit older than I imagined him.

I hope they continue the tournament in the next episode. Loras winning it and the Hound saving his ass from Gregor was somewhat of a plot point.

Josquius

QuoteAnyway, this episode had not enough Arya and too much Jon. I realize that they need to advance Jon's storyline, but he's just so boring.

Gendry looked a bit older than I imagined him.

I hope they continue the tournament in the next episode. Loras winning it and the Hound saving his ass from Gregor was somewhat of a plot point.
Probally will, need some bloody action.
And of course Loras/Renly hasn't happened yet.

Quote from: Habbaku on May 09, 2011, 05:22:34 PM
Quote from: Tyr on May 09, 2011, 04:03:53 PM

Where are you getting numbers of that level?  All estimates of the budget I've read say roughly 5 million an episode.
ehh...true, misremembered.
Still dear.
██████
██████
██████

Scipio

Why is no one smart enough to see through Littlefinger?  He's a colossal douchenozzle whose intentions are frankly obvious.

He's like Warwick, without the arrogance.  Surely arrogance is not the only reason that Warwick got bitchslapped by fortune.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

jimmy olsen

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 09, 2011, 12:20:06 PM
Quote from: Slargos on May 09, 2011, 12:16:42 PM
They're certainly portrayed as noble and honourable country bumpkins who can't adapt to the conniving ways of city folk. The blonde farm girl from Idaho recently come to New York City.

Ned has seen the world and has successfully overthrown a dynasty that had ruled for generations.  No mean feat.  His wife is no country Bumpkin.  That is what we first learn about them in the Book.  But then, I agree, they turn into country Bumpkins somewhere along the way.
From my recollections of the books I don't think that Ned behaved any different in that war. He and Robert want to war over honor and won in open battle, not much conniving, except on the part of the Lannisters who switched sides after it became clear who would win.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Slargos on May 09, 2011, 06:01:06 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 09, 2011, 05:41:58 AM
Catelyn actually seemed kind of badass in that last scene.   :cool:

Concur. I thought it was a great scene.
I can't stop rewatching it. What is the allure of feudal loyalty?  :hmm:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Slargos

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 10, 2011, 12:51:25 AM

It's a lost virtue.

Of course, it was never a virtue to begin with given that it was just another tool for the oppression of men, and today the masses are controlled with other types of opiates, but nevertheless..

It's an attractive type of servitude because it builds on pathos and a strict sense of honour and dignity. We all want to believe there is purpose, and we all want to believe ourselves part of it, and so we cling to whatever meaningless cause we can in order to feel important. The truth is, they live in dirt hovels so that Catelyn can feast on roast boar every night and that so called code of honour is just a way to keep them from realizing the truth of it.

Edit: But yes, I thought it was kick ass for exactly the same reason as you did.  :D

Martinus

In a word, it's personal.

Martinus

Quote from: Slargos on May 10, 2011, 01:15:51 AM

It's a lost virtue.

Of course, it was never a virtue to begin with given that it was just another tool for the oppression of men, and today the masses are controlled with other types of opiates, but nevertheless..

It's an attractive type of servitude because it builds on pathos and a strict sense of honour and dignity. We all want to believe there is purpose, and we all want to believe ourselves part of it, and so we cling to whatever meaningless cause we can in order to feel important. The truth is, they live in dirt hovels so that Catelyn can feast on roast boar every night and that so called code of honour is just a way to keep them from realizing the truth of it.

Edit: But yes, I thought it was kick ass for exactly the same reason as you did.  :D

While this is a very modern analysis, I think it misses the key feature of it, i.e. this being based on personal ties. This is a small word. Notice that all arguments used by Catelyn to inspire their loyalties are deeply personal: "I remember you from childhood", "We went to your wedding", etc. Even in today's world, which is deeply atomized, people still recall being charmed when they e.g. meet Obama or Bush or Carter in person, and their opinion of the said leader can improve a lot as a result of such meeting.  This is a much different type of loyalty when your leader is just speaking to you from a tv.