And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: grumbler on May 08, 2011, 03:29:19 PM
Quote from: Maximus on May 08, 2011, 02:20:39 PM
I don't know. I don't dislike him, but when he plays a character I don't see the character, I see the actor. That says to me that he's not a very good actor.

I didn't see Boromir, I saw Sean Bean. And while I think he's doing better as Eddard Stark I still just see Sean Bean.
I've sen Sean Bean in a great many roles, and have never seen him as Sean Bean.  In fact, he was a character actor for a long time before becoming a "name" actor, and I think his ability to allow the role to dominate the performance is the reason for that.  People would mention his name to me, and I wouldn't know who they were talking about until they named some roles he played, and then I would ask things like "Are you telling me that the guy in Caravaggio was the same actor who played the bad guy in Patriot games?"

So I guess we just see different things when we watch him.

He's playing more or less the same character in a lot of his movies. However, Sean Bean in Outlaws is certainly far from the same Sean Bean as in GoT.

Maximus

Well I guess I just don't remember the ones where he played the character well. I had forgotten about Patriot Games, also Troy.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maximus on May 08, 2011, 04:37:37 PM
Well I guess I just don't remember the ones where he played the character well.

Ever watch the Sharpe's rifles series?

Scipio

I have to agree with grumbler.  Sean Bean is one hell of an actor.  When he's Sharpe, he's the complete cunt with a heart of gold.  When he's Boromir, he's the desperate patriot.  When he plays that worthless IRA guy in Patriot Games, he's a conniving megalomaniac.  He can really plumb the depths of human vileness and pathos.  I wish he had been Aragorn instead of Mortensen, who came off as a chinless wonder.  It's so hard to reconcile the guy who ruled A History of Violence and Eastern Promises with that weak-ass Aragorn.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Zeus

Sorely disappointed with Dany's smack of her annoying brother. It should have had a bit more drawback and followthrough.
To be cunning and vicious is a fairly obvious shortcut to total victory.

LaCroix

tonight's episode ended perfectly (catelyn, tyrion and an inn) . i think they're handling the pacing well

Slargos

Quote from: LaCroix on May 08, 2011, 10:29:04 PM
tonight's episode ended perfectly (catelyn, tyrion and an inn) . i think they're handling the pacing well

Concur. Episode worked very well. A relief from last week's rather weak one.

katmai

Next week is halfway point of season yes? Or was it tonight?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Slargos

Next.

10 episodes seems too damn short.

jimmy olsen

Catelyn actually seemed kind of badass in that last scene.   :cool:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Slargos

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 09, 2011, 05:41:58 AM
Catelyn actually seemed kind of badass in that last scene.   :cool:

Concur. I thought it was a great scene.

Berkut

Can't stand Theon Greyjoy. The only casting/characterization so far that I do not care for.

Also, in the book, I think it was the Hound who told Sansa about what happened to him at the hands of his brother, and IIRC, it was a pretty important little scene in respects to the relationship between Sansa and the Hound.

Having Littlefinger tell her 30 seconds after he meets Sansa at a tournament, and for no discernible reason at all (Sansa hasn't even ever spoken to the Hound) made no sense at all.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Berkut on May 09, 2011, 07:52:16 AM
Can't stand Theon Greyjoy. The only casting/characterization so far that I do not care for.

Well, I couldn't stand him in the books, so maybe it's not that bad a casting? Or can you not stand the fact that you can stand him?  :hmm:

Damn, I need to see this show.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maximus

Quote from: Scipio on May 08, 2011, 08:57:44 PM
I have to agree with grumbler.  Sean Bean is one hell of an actor.  When he's Sharpe, he's the complete cunt with a heart of gold.  When he's Boromir, he's the desperate patriot.  When he plays that worthless IRA guy in Patriot Games, he's a conniving megalomaniac.  He can really plumb the depths of human vileness and pathos.  I wish he had been Aragorn instead of Mortensen, who came off as a chinless wonder.  It's so hard to reconcile the guy who ruled A History of Violence and Eastern Promises with that weak-ass Aragorn.
Except that Boromir just wasn't well done at all. Upon reflexion, that's probably where my dissatisfaction with Bean started. And no I haven't seen the Sharpe's series.

The Larch

Quote from: Berkut on May 09, 2011, 07:52:16 AM

Also, in the book, I think it was the Hound who told Sansa about what happened to him at the hands of his brother, and IIRC, it was a pretty important little scene in respects to the relationship between Sansa and the Hound.

Having Littlefinger tell her 30 seconds after he meets Sansa at a tournament, and for no discernible reason at all (Sansa hasn't even ever spoken to the Hound) made no sense at all.

I want to hear about the hot tub scene. Hott? :perv: