Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

What's a Westeros accent supposed to sound like?  :huh:

Not that I'm defending his accent, as I haven't heard it yet.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 06, 2011, 03:51:25 PM

Variable between the regions.
Consistency between people from the same place (family even) would be nice though.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on May 06, 2011, 07:40:40 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 06, 2011, 02:15:02 AM
Sweet preview clip for episode 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2QwUIA8Puk&feature=player_profilepage

Tyrion is quickly becoming my favorite character on the show. Peter Dinklage is amazing.

Agreed.  The imp is my favourite character in the books.  I was prepared to be disappointed in the actors portraying the character but I think he is doing very well.

Josephus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 06, 2011, 02:39:32 AM
I'm not sure, maybe 3 weeks. So that would be a couple of hundred pages a day, sounds about right. I really enjoyed the books btw, but see no reason why Martin can't churn his books out with greater frequency..........one can see now why his fans have been somewhat frustrated over the years.

He obviously has more of a life than you do. ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on May 06, 2011, 03:52:55 PM
Consistency between people from the same place (family even) would be nice though.

The family lived different lives.  The imp didnt spend years in the King's guard rather he has spent most of his time in brothels.  If he and his brother had the same speech patterns that would have struck me as odd.

Slargos

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 06, 2011, 03:51:25 PM

Variable between the regions.

Despite growing up together, my accent is markedly different from that of my siblings.

Not everyone is a Chav.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 06, 2011, 04:20:18 PM

The family lived different lives.  The imp didnt spend years in the King's guard rather he has spent most of his time in brothels.  If he and his brother had the same speech patterns that would have struck me as odd.

Agreed. Also most of the aristos in Westeros will have spent at least part of their childhood in another lord's court. It's probably not something to get worked up about, especially if it risked the actors speaking in annoying cod accents.

The Larch

Considering that the actor that plays Tyrion is American, the one that plays Jaime is Danish and the one that plays Cersei from Yorkshire via Bermuda, it's already a feat that they speak anything remotely similar.  :P

The Larch

And another preview, this time of Sansa talking with Septa Mordane. It seems to me that Sansa's character is slightly deeper than in the novels, judging by that scene. Was it from the book or made for the series?

http://youtu.be/hvCxT9ku1LI

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 07, 2011, 11:47:08 AM
Boromir is awesome.
This.  Plus the overarching Sean Bean is awesome.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Maximus

I don't know. I don't dislike him, but when he plays a character I don't see the character, I see the actor. That says to me that he's not a very good actor.

I didn't see Boromir, I saw Sean Bean. And while I think he's doing better as Eddard Stark I still just see Sean Bean.

grumbler

Quote from: Maximus on May 08, 2011, 02:20:39 PM
I don't know. I don't dislike him, but when he plays a character I don't see the character, I see the actor. That says to me that he's not a very good actor.

I didn't see Boromir, I saw Sean Bean. And while I think he's doing better as Eddard Stark I still just see Sean Bean.
I've sen Sean Bean in a great many roles, and have never seen him as Sean Bean.  In fact, he was a character actor for a long time before becoming a "name" actor, and I think his ability to allow the role to dominate the performance is the reason for that.  People would mention his name to me, and I wouldn't know who they were talking about until they named some roles he played, and then I would ask things like "Are you telling me that the guy in Caravaggio was the same actor who played the bad guy in Patriot games?"

So I guess we just see different things when we watch him.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!