News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

I had a bit of an issue with Robert's conversation with his kingsgard. I don't recall that scene and since none of the characters present were PoV characters it's unlikely it occurred in the book. That's not so bad. It added some flavour and history. It seemed kind of just stuck in there, but that could be just because I knew it wasn't in the book.

What bothered me was that Robert mentioned killing the Tarly kid at the battle of Summerhall. Now we don't know what happened at Summerhall, but from what I can tell it wasn't a battle. What happens if it turns out to be important in the unwritten books? I guess GRRM vetted the script but it seems sloppy.

Viking

Quote from: Maximus on May 02, 2011, 05:06:38 PM
I had a bit of an issue with Robert's conversation with his kingsgard. I don't recall that scene and since none of the characters present were PoV characters it's unlikely it occurred in the book. That's not so bad. It added some flavour and history. It seemed kind of just stuck in there, but that could be just because I knew it wasn't in the book.

What bothered me was that Robert mentioned killing the Tarly kid at the battle of Summerhall. Now we don't know what happened at Summerhall, but from what I can tell it wasn't a battle. What happens if it turns out to be important in the unwritten books? I guess GRRM vetted the script but it seems sloppy.

Martin is consulting and will write many scripts for this. I think they have discussed this especially regarding any future Tower of Joy scenes that Sean Bean might be required to make. I think that scene is there to make up for alot of the exposition about the heraldic background.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Larch

Quote from: Maximus on May 02, 2011, 05:06:38 PM

Whatever the cathaclismic events at Summerhall were, they were many years before Robert's rebellion. It was also a battleground during the rebellion afterwards, which is what was surely referred in the episode.

Maximus

Quote from: The Larch on May 02, 2011, 06:21:27 PM
Whatever the cathaclismic events at Summerhall were, they were many years before Robert's rebellion. It was also a battleground during the rebellion afterwards, which is what was surely referred in the episode.
Perhaps. I would have thought Robert would have killed a man before that.

Josquius

What happened in Summerhall is known. Somehow. Author announcments I believe. Egg tried to hatch a dragon's egg Dani style but got a bit too carried away with the fire and burned the place down along with himself, his heir, Dunc and lots of other folks.

There were also a few small skirmishes before the big Tridant battle, including the one Robert was going on about. Summerhall was on the border between the Stormlands and the Reach. Can't remember why the skirmish happened there. Small Reach forces heading to meet the main army maybe.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Maximus on May 02, 2011, 06:24:40 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 02, 2011, 06:21:27 PM
Perhaps. I would have thought Robert would have killed a man before that.

AFAIK it is not mentioned at which stage of the rebellion the Summerhall battles took place, so just make that at the beginning and it's coherent. Robert was very young at that point so it's beliveable that he didn't get into "real" combat until then.

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on May 02, 2011, 06:28:22 PM
What happened in Summerhall is known. Somehow. Author announcments I believe. Egg tried to hatch a dragon's egg Dani style but got a bit too carried away with the fire and burned the place down along with himself, his heir, Dunc and lots of other folks.

There were also a few small skirmishes before the big Tridant battle, including the one Robert was going on about. Summerhall was on the border between the Stormlands and the Reach. Can't remember why the skirmish happened there. Small Reach forces heading to meet the main army maybe.

What happened at Summerhall is not know precisely. Several elements are mentioned and rumoured but no real account exists about it.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Richard Hakluyt

Well I have read the first four books now...and..........Martin is Alexandre Dumas reborn  :P !

Monumental verbosity and waffling but, the pages turn fast enough. That fourth book though, only half the characters were covered and even they made little progress...................I'm going to be dead before he finishes the story...............or he is  :lol:

Slargos

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 06, 2011, 02:19:27 AM
Well I have read the first four books now...and..........Martin is Alexandre Dumas reborn  :P !

Monumental verbosity and waffling but, the pages turn fast enough. That fourth book though, only half the characters were covered and even they made little progress...................I'm going to be dead before he finishes the story...............or he is  :lol:

That was quick.  :homestar:

The Larch

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 06, 2011, 02:19:27 AM

Now that was fast! How long did it take you? You only started a couple of weeks ago, right?

Richard Hakluyt

I'm not sure, maybe 3 weeks. So that would be a couple of hundred pages a day, sounds about right. I really enjoyed the books btw, but see no reason why Martin can't churn his books out with greater frequency..........one can see now why his fans have been somewhat frustrated over the years.

The Larch

Let's see how you hold out to the details. A friend of mine almost literally devoured the books, IIRC he read them all in a week or so, and a month afterwards he could only remember the general arguments, but had missed all the smaller details and hints scattered along the way.

It's a bit like the Woody Allen joke: "I did a course on fast reading, managed to finish War and Peace in two hours. It was something about Russia".  :lol:

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on May 06, 2011, 02:47:51 AM
Let's see how you hold out to the details. A friend of mine almost literally devoured the books, IIRC he read them all in a week or so, and a month afterwards he could only remember the general arguments, but had missed all the smaller details and hints scattered along the way.

It's a bit like the Woody Allen joke: "I did a course on fast reading, managed to finish War and Peace in two hours. It was something about Russia".  :lol:
So you think it helped that the version of Fire and Ice you bought forced you to slow down to color in pictures?

:P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 06, 2011, 02:15:02 AM
Sweet preview clip for episode 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2QwUIA8Puk&feature=player_profilepage

Tyrion is quickly becoming my favorite character on the show. Peter Dinklage is amazing.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned