And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Viking on May 02, 2011, 05:38:07 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 02, 2011, 04:05:18 AM
But he'd also be the son of his one true love, even if not by him. At the very least he'd be extremely torn on what to do with him should that be the case.

Agreed, being a targaryen bastard is enough, but being the proof that Lyanna loved someone else more than him should be enough for Robert to kill him as well.

How can you agree with what I say and then turn it the other way around in the same sentence?  :P

Viking

Quote from: The Larch on May 02, 2011, 05:47:17 AM
But he'd also be the son of his one true love, even if not by him. At the very least he'd be extremely torn on what to do with him should that be the case.

Agreed, being a targaryen bastard is enough, but being the proof that Lyanna loved someone else more than him should be enough for Robert to kill him as well.

How can you agree with what I say and then turn it the other way around in the same sentence?  :P

I'm just saying either reason is good enough.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Larch

Quote from: Viking on May 02, 2011, 05:54:15 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 02, 2011, 05:47:17 AM

I'm just saying either reason is good enough.

Another thing, you assume that Robert would know that Lyanna was willing, when he could perfectly go on with his already engraved in stone mantra of "Rhaegar abducted and raped her".  ;)

Faeelin

Last night's episode was pretty good, but did the scene with Daenerys and Viserys really go down like that in teh books? I thought Dany was more assertive by that point.

Siege

Quote from: Martinus on May 02, 2011, 03:12:46 AM
Quote from: Viking on May 02, 2011, 03:07:34 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 01, 2011, 08:21:06 PM
Better to be the bastard of the King and a Lady of the North, then the bastard of the Lord of the North and a random wench.

No, more likely to get yourself slaughtered. That's why Ned hid him. If you didn't notice Cersei sent out men to chase down some of Roberts bastards.

This is an understatement. Robert's bastards may be a problem for Cersei but they are not a problem for the state. If Robert knew Jon Snow was a Targaeryn (whether a bastard or not) he would have him killed on the spot - a bastard like this would be a perfect rally point for all Targaeryn loyalists.

In fact, I find it surprising that Timmy does not realize that.

But a bastard surely cannot hope to be crowned king.
Do we have any historical examples of bastard kings?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Slargos

Quote from: Siege on May 02, 2011, 09:30:22 AM
Better to be the bastard of the King and a Lady of the North, then the bastard of the Lord of the North and a random wench.

No, more likely to get yourself slaughtered. That's why Ned hid him. If you didn't notice Cersei sent out men to chase down some of Roberts bastards.

This is an understatement. Robert's bastards may be a problem for Cersei but they are not a problem for the state. If Robert knew Jon Snow was a Targaeryn (whether a bastard or not) he would have him killed on the spot - a bastard like this would be a perfect rally point for all Targaeryn loyalists.

William the Bastard, though he was technically speaking King by conquest rather than lineage.

The Brain

In Westeros?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Henry VII's claim to the throne was through descent from a bastard of John of Gaunt.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Viking

Quote from: Slargos on May 02, 2011, 09:31:54 AM

William the Bastard, though he was technically speaking King by conquest rather than lineage.

No, Harold Godwinsson promised William fealty during his extended visit in Normany.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on May 02, 2011, 10:37:44 AM
No, Harold Godwinsson promised William fealty during his extended visit in Normany.

Supposedly.  Not that I would disparage the integrity of my glorious Norman ancestors :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Solmyr

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramiro_I_of_Aragon

Solmyr

The Arya & Syrio scene was full of win.

Martinus

I'm more and more in love with Cersei Lannister. She reminds me of Atia of the Julii.  :cool:

Martinus

I'm not sure, but I think I liked this episode the most so far. It wasn't as fast, action-wise, as the second but probably had the best character-driven scenes. Everyone from Cersei, to Jaime, to Tyrion, to Jon, to Arya, to the Small Council were perfect.

Josquius

A slow episode indeed...
They could really do with slotting in a flashback to the Trident...just a wee one.
Decent enough episode I suppose for someone never having read the book but its just telling me things I already know.
██████
██████
██████