Quote from: Viking on May 01, 2011, 08:18:38 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 01, 2011, 08:14:58 PM
Quote from: Viking on May 01, 2011, 08:10:48 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 01, 2011, 07:52:53 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 01, 2011, 07:46:00 PM
Not brother, father of the girl.
Brother :contract:

Bastard half brother :contract:

We still have no reason to believe that even if Lyanna and Rhaegar were the parents that Jon would be anything but a bastard. Rhaegar was married to Elia Martell at the time iirc.
Brother refers to Rhaegar.

Grey Fox was refering to Aerys .

damn... getting confused..

Dany would be Jon's Aunt if Rhaegar and Lyanna are his parents, but since Rhaegar and Lyanna don't seem to have been married and Rhaegar was already married he would still be a bastard, just not Ned Starks bastard.
Better to be the bastard of the King and a Lady of the North, then the bastard of the Lord of the North and a random wench.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

I'm confused but all I was saying is that Rhaegar is Dany's father.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 01, 2011, 08:24:24 PM
I'm confused but all I was saying is that Rhaegar is Dany's father.

:huh:  That's never so much as hinted at.  It's always very clear that Dany and Viserys are just Rhaegar's younger siblings.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

Man, that's complicated.

Sorry, I am wrong. As I said, I am confused, just more then I thought.

For some reason I was confusing Rhaegar & Aerys.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maximus

There is actually a rather weak theory that Rhaegar is Danaeris's father. The idea is that his son Aegon is still alive and the two of them, together with Jon, make a trio of Targaryen half-siblings. Three heads of the dragon, etc.

Martinus

Quote from: Maximus on May 01, 2011, 09:49:00 PM
There is actually a rather weak theory that Rhaegar is Danaeris's father. The idea is that his son Aegon is still alive and the two of them, together with Jon, make a trio of Targaryen half-siblings. Three heads of the dragon, etc.

Actually, Tyrion being the third head is more likely.

Slargos

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 01, 2011, 08:21:06 PM
Better to be the bastard of the King and a Lady of the North, then the bastard of the Lord of the North and a random wench.

No, more likely to get yourself slaughtered. That's why Ned hid him. If you didn't notice Cersei sent out men to chase down some of Roberts bastards.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Quote from: Viking on May 02, 2011, 03:07:34 AM

No, more likely to get yourself slaughtered. That's why Ned hid him. If you didn't notice Cersei sent out men to chase down some of Roberts bastards.

This is an understatement. Robert's bastards may be a problem for Cersei but they are not a problem for the state. If Robert knew Jon Snow was a Targaeryn (whether a bastard or not) he would have him killed on the spot - a bastard like this would be a perfect rally point for all Targaeryn loyalists.

In fact, I find it surprising that Timmy does not realize that.

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on May 02, 2011, 03:12:46 AM

This is an understatement. Robert's bastards may be a problem for Cersei but they are not a problem for the state. If Robert knew Jon Snow was a Targaeryn (whether a bastard or not) he would have him killed on the spot - a bastard like this would be a perfect rally point for all Targaeryn loyalists.

The Americans have been too long away from the sheltering hand of Royalty.  :bowler:

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

Better for him now I mean. Obviously the truth couldn't be known at the time.

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Larch

But he'd also be the son of his one true love, even if not by him. At the very least he'd be extremely torn on what to do with him should that be the case.

Viking

Quote from: The Larch on May 02, 2011, 04:05:18 AM
But he'd also be the son of his one true love, even if not by him. At the very least he'd be extremely torn on what to do with him should that be the case.

Agreed, being a targaryen bastard is enough, but being the proof that Lyanna loved someone else more than him should be enough for Robert to kill him as well.

Robert hates the Targaryens with a burning hate, while Ned Stark does not. You have to remember that all of the causes of the war were Mad King Aerys' crazy behaviour towards the Starks as a result of Rhaegars kidnapping of Lyanna Stark (who was promised to Robert in Marriage). The execution of Brandon Stark and Jon Stark and mass accusations of treason , followed by the demand of Jon Arryn that he hand over Ned and Robert to be executed as well. None of this seems to be especially insulting to Robert Baratheon (apart from the demand that Jon hand him over). That can all be put down to Aerys being crazy.

If anything Ned Stark has most cause to hate the Targaryens but does not. Robert has little reason to hate them but does intensely. That is why I think it was a love match between Rhaegar and Lyanna.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.