News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on April 28, 2011, 01:49:24 PM
The discussion of where the plot is going and if will ever be wrapped up in a legitimate manner reminds me of the old Lost discussions.  Or the BSG discussions as Grumbler mentioned.  Hod willing, this one actually works out.  Or, at the least, works out better than those two.
Yes.  I may not be happy with the latest turns in martin's writing style, but no one here would be happier than me to see the story end well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Well unlike those shows it is pretty clear that Martin has an overall direction and plotline in mind.  So I doubt very much the ending will be a trainwreck.

It may only be 'so-so', but he will arrive at a coherent climax.

If he finishes it at all that is.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maximus

Isn't Dragons supposed to be the last book? It is finished.

Barrister

Quote from: Maximus on April 28, 2011, 02:20:03 PM
Isn't Dragons supposed to be the last book? It is finished.

:console:

It's a planned 7 book series.

Next two books are The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring.

Josquius

Which will probally be split again into 2 each.
██████
██████
██████

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on April 28, 2011, 02:22:38 PM

if so, plans have changed. Dragons and Crows were originally supposed to be one book, and I was pretty sure it was supposed to be the last one.

Barrister

Quote from: Maximus on April 28, 2011, 02:25:04 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 28, 2011, 02:22:38 PM

if so, plans have changed. Dragons and Crows were originally supposed to be one book, and I was pretty sure it was supposed to be the last one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_song_of_ice_and_fire

Plans have changed many times, but I don't think Dragions was ever designed to be the last book.

Valmy

Quote from: Maximus on April 28, 2011, 02:25:04 PM

Where did you hear this?  Originally there were supposed to be two books after Dragons.  GRRM just inserted another book in there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

Ok, must have been wrong. That being the case I agree it won't likely get finished. His progress seems to be flattening out asymptotically.

Valmy

Quote from: Maximus on April 28, 2011, 02:37:35 PM
Ok, must have been wrong. That being the case I agree it won't likely get finished. His progress seems to be flattening out asymptotically.

It is certainly is a possibility.  I think there is too much financial pressure with the HBO series to state for sure that it is more likely to not be finished than finished (after all he is supposedly 5/7s of the way there) but I would not be shocked either way.

At least he finished this one eh?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I wonder if the HBO series will finish one way and the books another.  That is if they go for like seven seasons.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

Assuming that the show goes on for that long (unlikely, but I can be hopeful), I believe that HBO, if they "catch up" to Martin's current writing, will actually finish the show however they please, albeit with advice from Martin.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on April 28, 2011, 02:11:54 PM
Well unlike those shows it is pretty clear that Martin has an overall direction and plotline in mind.  So I doubt very much the ending will be a trainwreck.
Gee, where have I heard this before? :hmm:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

Well, my DVR bricked itself this weekend. Just in time.  <_<

Hopefully there will be reruns galore.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on April 28, 2011, 03:47:51 PM
I wonder if the HBO series will finish one way and the books another.  That is if they go for like seven seasons.
That's an interesting question, and an equally interesting one is whether HBO has a better chance of finishing the series before cancellation than GRRM has of finishing before he is cancelled.

Bayraktar!