And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Slargos on April 25, 2011, 05:42:46 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 25, 2011, 05:14:35 AM
Also, I love how noone is questioning that Lannisters would give a commoner a Valyrian knife to kill Bran. It's one of these moments for which I love GRRM - he takes a red herring cliche and essentially dares the reader to cry foul on the meta level only to later show that he is a better writer than that. :P

I forget, what was the significance of that?

The emo prince sending an assassin so his drunken fool of a cuckold dad thinks he is tough for killing a comatose cripple.

Martinus

Obviously, if either Jaime or Cersei (not to mention Tywin or Tyrion) hired an assassin they would make sure it's someone who can do his job.

jimmy olsen

The kid who's playing Joffery is a genius. I can't remember the last time I saw a character I wanted to punch in the face so much.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Slargos

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 25, 2011, 05:54:59 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 25, 2011, 05:06:56 AM
I don't think anyone is claiming Sandor is a hero -

I interpret Slargos' phrase "more obvious heroes" and his claim that Sandor is one of the noblest characters in the series as  such a claim.  :hmm:

Quoteonly that he is not a complete villain.

Nobody is claiming otherwise. But he has done many villainous acts in his life- the fact that he regretted them afterwards and in some cases during doesn't change that. His inner character may be somewhat consistent; he has the capacity for both good and evil(as all men do really), but his actions in later books are appreciably more "moral" than they are at the beginning. The change in our perceptions isn't so much Martin revealing more of the character(though that is a small part of it) as it is that Sandor is heeding that compass more, trying to redeem himself. Book 1 Sandor is not a heroic figure. Book 5 Sandor may well be.

AGREE TO DISAGREE.

By "more obvious Heroes" I meant of course that they are more or less labeled thus by the narrative. They're the knights of the realm. I didn't mean to imply Sandor is a Hero, which he is clearly not.

KRonn

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 25, 2011, 06:47:22 AM
The kid who's playing Joffery is a genius. I can't remember the last time I saw a character I wanted to punch in the face so much.
Agreed, he's is doing a great job... the nasty little monster.    :menace:

Solmyr

I really like Arya's acting too. Will be interesting to see her character development later on.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Solmyr on April 25, 2011, 07:37:58 AM
I really like Arya's acting too. Will be interesting to see her character development later on.
I thought she was going to murder the Lannisters with her eyes at the end of that trial.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Quote from: Solmyr on April 25, 2011, 07:37:58 AM
Yep, she's good too.

For her just being a young kid, Arya did become a pretty interesting and resourceful character; I'm waiting to see how she progresses in the books.

Martinus

Better than Timmay's version:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on April 23, 2011, 05:22:32 PM
Quote from: Maximus on April 22, 2011, 10:07:28 AM
The real question is how 600 ft of ice remains standing after 14 years (or however much it was)of summer.

I wonder if a 600 ft wall of ice could even support itself.

Probably - employment opportunities are picking up in the Arctic and the pay is good due to difficulties in attracting labor.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

I giggled every time Joffrey got smacked.  I agree that the actor is doing a very good job of making me hate him.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Zoupa

Quote from: grumbler on April 18, 2011, 12:57:31 PM
Quote from: Slargos on April 18, 2011, 12:39:17 PM
Was his death confirmed or not?
Yes, which rather surprised me.  He was a pretty useful/interesting character to kill off for no apparent reason other than to kill off a character.

The Hounds isn't dead. He's in hiding at the monastery.

Zoupa

jimmy olsen

Damn, there are gonna murders if the Red Wedding ever gets filmed.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/domestic-abuse/man-battered-kin-over-hbos-game-thrones-780215
QuoteMeet Michael Podniestrzanski.

The Florida man, 23, was arrested last night after an argument over the new HBO fantasy show "Game of Thrones" turned violent.

As will happen during shows "based on medieval times," Podniestrzanski and his cousin "got into a verbal altercation" over which of the cable program's characters was going to win, according to a Manatee County Sheriff's Office report.

"Game of Thrones," which premiered last Sunday night, is based on the first book in a series of "epic fantasy" novels written by George R.R. Martin.

With the argument between Podniestrzanski and Joshua Ross escalating, Podniestrzanski allegedly "took a swing at" his kin. After scuffling for a bit, Podniestrzanski's cousin "ended up getting thrown in to the front window during the altercation."

Podniestrzanski was arrested for misdemeanor domestic battery and transported to the county jail, where he is currently being held.

1 Karma Chameleon point