Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Martinus on April 21, 2011, 10:12:50 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 21, 2011, 10:03:18 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 21, 2011, 01:37:45 AM
Btw, I don't remember whether the books say that the "winter is coming" phenomenon occurs globally or is this more of a Westeros-based phenomenon? If the latter, this could be related to some sort of Gulfstrom surrounding Westeros that goes down or up depending on icecaps melting or whatever, and causes these strong winter periods. Europe would pretty much plunge to the climatic levels of Canada if the real-world Gulfstrom was shut down so that's not so unlikely (and since GRRM is a leftie, he probably is familiar with all the "global warming causes global ice age" theories).

I think he mentioned in an interview that it only really affects Westeros. This could be because only Westeros extends north enough (there's a chapter in GoT where Bran, in a coma, dreams of flying far north of the wall and sees the Others and some still unexplained things), or there could be another thing. There's no evidence in the books, that I know of, for the winters or Others affecting the other lands.

That's what I thought - so the argument about "distance from the sun" would make no sense. If you discount the "OMG ITS TEH MAGICK" argument that Martin seems to put forth (probably because he is lazy :P), some sort of "ocean conveyer" theory probably makes most sense.

Yeah, but the astronomy theory works until you actually spend time outside of Westeros.  :P
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on April 21, 2011, 07:34:01 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 21, 2011, 05:21:25 AM
Without magic....some sort of second sun orbiting the first which occasionally draws nearer to the planet giving warmer weather and other times is far away giving default colder weather?

:bleeding: You do realize that temperatures on Earth have preciously little to do with the *distance* from the Sun, right? Why do retards always seem to think that LOL WE GET CLOSR 2 TEH SUN IN SUMMR?
:bleeding:
Having another sun which draws closer to a planet sometimes and makes it warmer != distance from a sun is the only possible factor in the warmth of places.
Distance from the sun most certainly is a HUGE factor in the temperatures of planets. Or is it a complete coincidence Mercury tends to be so much hotter than our moon?

And I doubt its a case of him being afraid of smart arses which makes him say 'its magic', from reading the books it quite clearly does seem to be magic, the Others are closely tied in with the cold.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2011, 09:10:02 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 18, 2011, 08:45:33 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 18, 2011, 01:38:53 PM
Did anyone else think the direwolf looked to be about horse sized?

I mean, they are supposed to be big, but that is a bit much.
The real dire wolves weren't all that, so I think it's okay. They only averaged about 1.5 metres (5 ft) in length and weighing about 110 kg (240 lb). Also they were stupider than real wolves. Making them a little bigger and smarter is fine by me.

240 pounds is pretty good sized.  That's about the size of a Black Bear.
I thought Black Bears were more like 300?

Anyways after reading up on them and watching a documentary on them that's a bit of an overestimate on their size, not sure where wikipedia got that number. From what I've seen elsewhere they were typically around 150 pounds, compared to the modern average of 80 for Grey Wolves.

IIRC in the book, the wolf was the size of Bran's pony, which would probably put it in the 400 pound range. That's about the size of a male lion. Martin's wolves seem proportioned a bit differently, with longer legs which means they likely hunted more like Grey Wolves than real Dire Wolves which had legs that were a bit shorter in proportion. And of course they're much smarter.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Slargos

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 22, 2011, 09:25:28 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2011, 09:10:02 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 18, 2011, 08:45:33 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 18, 2011, 01:38:53 PM
Did anyone else think the direwolf looked to be about horse sized?

I mean, they are supposed to be big, but that is a bit much.
The real dire wolves weren't all that, so I think it's okay. They only averaged about 1.5 metres (5 ft) in length and weighing about 110 kg (240 lb). Also they were stupider than real wolves. Making them a little bigger and smarter is fine by me.

240 pounds is pretty good sized.  That's about the size of a Black Bear.
I thought Black Bears were more like 300?

Anyways after reading up on them and watching a documentary on them that's a bit of an overestimate on their size, not sure where wikipedia got that number. From what I've seen elsewhere they were typically around 150 pounds, compared to the modern average of 80 for Grey Wolves.

IIRC in the book, the wolf was the size of Bran's pony, which would probably put it in the 400 pound range. That's about the size of a male lion. Martin's wolves seem proportioned a bit differently, with longer legs which means they likely hunted more like Grey Wolves than real Dire Wolves which had legs that were a bit shorter in proportion. And of course they're much smarter.

All good and well, but I'm left wondering what impact this has had on the evolution of bovines, and whether they need shorter, stubbier legs and antlers in order to defend themselves, or perhaps have developed long spindly legs in order to be able to scale cliff faces to get away from the predators.

In extention, what does this do for husbandry, not least of all the flavour of the meat, but more importantly how does one domesticate a cliff-face scaling cow? What did the resulting reduction in protein do to the development of mankind? Is Cersei in fact considered so beautiful because she is fat like a cow? I'm beginning to think the casting was all wrong. Cersei needs to be less, how shall I say, attractive because in the 12th century it was certainly not a good thing to be skinny.

Can you posit a new map considering these facts, Timmy? I'd also like you to take into account what if any impact the creation of the Wall may have had on the weather patterns of Hyperborea. I mean, 800 feet wall of ice? That sucker has to put out a lot of cold and that's going to play hell with warm fronts stopping dead in their tracks. Resulting hurricanes on the sea of tranquility and global warming? The ramifications are pretty severe, I'd say. But I guess GRRM will just say "magic" and shrug his shoulders. Sloppy writing, that. No, I think we need to determine how, if at all, ships are able to traverse a sea without wind. That's all I'm saying.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Slargos on April 22, 2011, 09:36:04 AM
but more importantly how does one domesticate a cliff-face scaling cow?

Same way one domesticates a goat.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Ice does not "put out" cold, you dumbass.

Cold is the absence of heat.

Jesus.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on April 22, 2011, 09:55:58 AM

Jesus.

Depends on how you look at it.  :hmm:

Regardless, since you are too stupid to answer my questions perhaps someone else can?

Berkut

Quote from: Slargos on April 22, 2011, 10:01:58 AM

Jesus.

No, thermodynamics are not a matter of "how you look at it".

There is no way to look at it such that ice "puts out" cold. Being from the fucking arctic, you would think you would know that.

QuoteRegardless, since you are too stupid to answer my questions perhaps someone else can?

Your question is based on flawed understanding of simple science, and hence has no meaning, much like your existence.

0 rows returned

Maximus

The real question is how 600 ft of ice remains standing after 14 years (or however much it was)of summer.

Berkut

Quote from: Maximus on April 22, 2011, 10:07:28 AM
The real question is how 600 ft of ice remains standing after 14 years (or however much it was)of summer.

It is in the far north. It isn't ever really warm up there. Although Martin does describe some melting of the wall.

He does mention that at one time the Watch actually built up the wall though...

0 rows returned

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on April 22, 2011, 10:06:20 AM

Jesus.

There is no way to look at it such that ice "puts out" cold. Being from the fucking arctic, you would think you would know that.

QuoteRegardless, since you are too stupid to answer my questions perhaps someone else can?

Your question is based on flawed understanding of simple science, and hence has no meaning, much like your existence.

Everything depends on perspective. Didn't you know?

I still want to know how spindly-legged bovines affects the beauty of Princesses. Since you have no relevant answers to produce, why don't you just go back to beating your wife?

Berkut

Quote from: Slargos on April 22, 2011, 10:11:27 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 22, 2011, 10:06:20 AM

Jesus.

Everything depends on perspective. Didn't you know?

I still want to know how spindly-legged bovines affects the beauty of Princesses. Since you have no relevant answers to produce, why don't you just go back to beating your wife?

Fuck that, I come here to get away from wife beating.

0 rows returned

Maximus

Quote from: Berkut on April 22, 2011, 10:11:26 AM
It is in the far north. It isn't ever really warm up there. Although Martin does describe some melting of the wall.
If it never gets more than a few degrees above  freezing there shouldn't be any trees I'd think. *shrug*
Quote from: Berkut on April 22, 2011, 10:11:26 AM
He does mention that at one time the Watch actually built up the wall though...
Yea, but not for a few generations right?

grumbler

Quote from: Maximus on April 22, 2011, 10:15:08 AM

If it never gets more than a few degrees above  freezing there shouldn't be any trees I'd think. *shrug*
MAGIC. 

And, Berkut, Lovecraft and Howard both confirm that magical walls and beings emit cold.  And they would know.  QED.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Slargos

Quote from: grumbler on April 22, 2011, 10:34:15 AM
Quote from: Maximus on April 22, 2011, 10:15:08 AM

MAGIC. 

And, Berkut, Lovecraft and Howard both confirm that magical walls and beings emit cold.  And they would know.  QED.

Well there you go. If grumbler agrees with me, there is no doubt.  :hmm: