News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Larch

Quote from: grumbler on April 20, 2011, 08:13:21 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 20, 2011, 07:52:40 AM
Damn, John Adams was expensive.
Salaries, perhaps?

Besides Giamatti, were there other big names on it?  :hmm: Besides him the only one that comes to mind is David Morse, who played Washington, and I don't think he's in the same league as Giamatti salary-wise.

jimmy olsen

I was thinking of how Song of Ice and Fire type weather might be possible sans magic; i.e. alternating short (on a geological scale) but intense and irregular cold periods and warm periods with seasonal variation there in. I wondered if lacking a moon would do it. (I can't remember if there's a moon in the story or not, I assume there is). The axial tilt of the Earth would shift far more frequently without the moon if IIRC, causing drastic climactic changes. Am I on the right track or way off base?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I thought there were some references to tides, so I imagine there is a moon.  Really though, it's not something you should think to much about.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2011, 09:29:50 AM
I was thinking of how Song of Ice and Fire type weather might be possible sans magic; i.e. alternating short (on a geological scale) but intense and irregular cold periods and warm periods with seasonal variation there in. I wondered if lacking a moon would do it. (I can't remember if there's a moon in the story or not, I assume there is). The axial tilt of the Earth would shift far more frequently without the moon if IIRC, causing drastic climactic changes. Am I on the right track or way off base?

It's a story.  :secret:

The Brain

Probably makes sense in a world where, in the 22nd century, dinosaurs are enslaved by the Confederacy instead of blacks. Map?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Brain on April 20, 2011, 10:08:44 AM

Probably makes sense in a world where, in the 22nd century, dinosaurs are enslaved by the Confederacy instead of blacks. Map?

Mew is coming.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on April 20, 2011, 10:08:44 AM

Humans wouldn't have evolved in that scenario, hell, Dinosaurs wouldn't have evolved.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Solmyr

Khal Drogo has really good teeth.

Habbaku

That was pretty good. I thought they picked a perfect actor for Mormont.  :)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Solmyr on April 20, 2011, 01:30:09 PM
Khal Drogo has really good teeth.
Probably doesn't have much sugar in his diet.

1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

I thought of the same things when I first started reading it, since I was taking astronomy classes at the time. It could be possible since there's several different cycles that can effect the seasonal cycle. You'd want one that's not too regular and predictable.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

Nice to know I wasn't the only one HMBOB

Looks like Martin's going to write the episode for the Battle of the Blackwater!  :menace:
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2011/04/20/martin-to-write-key-episode-for-game-of-thrones-season-2/

1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 20, 2011, 06:57:13 PM

I thought of the same things when I first started reading it, since I was taking astronomy classes at the time. It could be possible since there's several different cycles that can effect the seasonal cycle. You'd want one that's not too regular and predictable.

Couldn't this be largely unrelated to astronomy but rather to the conditions on the planet? Things like volcanic activity, ocean circulation etc. could very well cause "winters" (read:mini ice age) without there being much change to the planet's position.

jimmy olsen

The positions of land masses and their effects on Ocean currents can definitely cause radical climactic change.

The repeated Ice Ages of the last few million years have been primarily caused by the fact that the South Pole is covered by Antarctica and the Arctic Ocean is almost completely surrounded by land.

1 Karma Chameleon point