News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: bogh on April 18, 2011, 01:03:12 PM
His death was not really confirmed, though. Check the geek sphere...I am pretty sure he'll return. Too cool a character to kill off.

In very related news I am going to the red carpet premiere of the show here in Denmark. Nicolaj Coster Waldau (Jaime) will be introducing it. Anything I should ask him during the subsequent cocktail party?

Ask him if you can take a picture of his feet for Martinus.  :hmm:

bogh

Slargos

grumbler

Quote from: Slargos on April 18, 2011, 01:02:35 PM
Wasn't it the case that a character is TOLD he's dead, we're not literally shown the body. I thought a lot of the language surrounding his "death" was suspiciously hazy.
I remember thinking exactly this, but then having another character get told that the body had been found (though, as noted before, dead doesn't mean dead for good in this series) and something - the helmet maybe? - shown to that character.

My memory isn't 100% reliable, but I do remember thinking "well, that eliminates the 'he got better' possibility, since someone has found the body." 

I grant that people in the weeniesphere may make arguments that it was all just a misunderstanding, and concede that they could be right.  martin certainly doesn't demonstrate the literary self-discupline of one who would say "damn, I wished I hadn't killed that character, but bringing characters back to life would be wayyyy too silly."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

LaCroix

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 17, 2011, 09:38:35 PMSo let me get this straight: you didn't think the peasant mudfarmers got enough screen time.

:D

no, i had ck in mind when i said "lowest tier," so i meant the power group below dukes. in the pilot at least we see robert (king) and those who answer directly to him (dukes) but not the lower level nobility

@larch: yes, i've read the books. it's possible they could show it later on, but if they failed to demonstrate it with the stark house (during the feast) they may have decided to simplify it instead

@berkut: i think faelin refers to the "no" -- "yes" drogo-daenerys exchange at the very end before the consummation. it wasn't quite the all-out rape that we saw

@valmy: the hound is alive, he's a grave digger at some monastery these days

Razgovory

I don't think the minor houses played much of a role in the first 50 pages of the book.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: LaCroix on April 18, 2011, 01:18:49 PM

@berkut: i think faelin refers to the "no" -- "yes" drogo-daenerys exchange at the very end before the consummation. it wasn't quite the all-out rape that we saw

Ahh, I saw that as more of a poor job in putting the scene together to portray the message (maybe even just a matter of time) than any overt attempt to change the story itself.

They kind of blew it by not really going into a little more about Daenyrs response to her bride gift of the mare. In the book it relaxed her and was the first (albeit subtle) indicator to both the readers and the Dothraki that she was more than just a idiot soft girl.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

QuoteI remember thinking exactly this, but then having another character get told that the body had been found (though, as noted before, dead doesn't mean dead for good in this series) and something - the helmet maybe? - shown to that character.

My memory isn't 100% reliable, but I do remember thinking "well, that eliminates the 'he got better' possibility, since someone has found the body."

I grant that people in the weeniesphere may make arguments that it was all just a misunderstanding, and concede that they could be right.  martin certainly doesn't demonstrate the literary self-discupline of one who would say "damn, I wished I hadn't killed that character, but bringing characters back to life would be wayyyy too silly."
I'm sure I remember someone (the head priest on that island of silent priests?) saying they buried him or at least saw the grave or somesuch.
It looks like he might be alive for a while due to reports of the hound leading a group that pillaged a town but then this hound is revealled to be one of those 3 nasty guys from Arya's time with the nights watch recruiter, he simply nicked the helmet from the grave.

Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2011, 01:25:43 PM
I don't think the minor houses played much of a role in the first 50 pages of the book.
I can't really remember them showing up until the war kicks off and Robb calls his banners. Excepting the Cleganes.
██████
██████
██████

LaCroix

they were present. it's speculation at this point, but i wouldn't be surprised if they did condense it down. the world is naturally far shallower than in the books

@berkut:  :yes:

Razgovory

I was a bit surprised they didn't dwell a little bit more on the symbolism of the Stag and the Wolf scene, if I recall they saw it as an omen (and it was essentially the prophecy that was completed at the end of the book).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maximus

I thought Brienne had found Clegane in that monastery/retreat place she visited. Although it wasn't confirmed it was him.

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2011, 01:35:48 PM
I was a bit surprised they didn't dwell a little bit more on the symbolism of the Stag and the Wolf scene, if I recall they saw it as an omen (and it was essentially the prophecy that was completed at the end of the book).
I think it was meant to stand out as an omen yeah...but it turned out to be a red herring, the stags weren't the problem, it was of course the lions.
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

Did anyone else think the direwolf looked to be about horse sized?

I mean, they are supposed to be big, but that is a bit much.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Sahib

Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2011, 12:54:18 PM
I don't remember Rickon ever really making an appearance in the show.

So it's exactly like in the books then?
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on April 18, 2011, 01:38:53 PM
Did anyone else think the direwolf looked to be about horse sized?

I mean, they are supposed to be big, but that is a bit much.

Regular wolves are pretty fucking big.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.