And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2011, 09:10:08 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 18, 2011, 09:00:12 AM
Without going too much into the details, how did they change Daenerys and Catelyn?

Hard to explain.  Cat was against Ned going for one but I think it is the best way to go since you cannot see her thoughts in a TV series.

Unless you have read the books fairly recently, I hate people like you - the ones who remember all these little details. I remember the general feel of the books - have no idea what Catelyn's motivations were (beyond the pretty simple ones).

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2011, 11:11:25 AM
Without going too much into the details, how did they change Daenerys and Catelyn?

Hard to explain.  Cat was against Ned going for one but I think it is the best way to go since you cannot see her thoughts in a TV series.

Unless you have read the books fairly recently, I hate people like you - the ones who remember all these little details. I remember the general feel of the books - have no idea what Catelyn's motivations were (beyond the pretty simple ones).

I would think that people who remember little details would be useful in your line of work, that is, if you really are a lawyer.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2011, 11:18:51 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2011, 11:11:25 AM

I would think that people who remember little details would be useful in your line of work, that is, if you really are a lawyer.

Not really. You need to know how to do research, not learn things by heart.

Razgovory

I'll wait till a real lawyer, shows up before I'll make a judgment on that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Gups

Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2011, 11:30:25 AM

Yep, at a client meeting nothing screams "I don't know what I'm talking about" like "I'll have to get back to you on that one".

Gups

I hope Cat's less of whiny bitch in the TV show. Her POVs were always the worst until Brienne came along aand took a big dump on the series.

The Brain

Gups hates strong women. Film at 11.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Quote from: Gups on April 18, 2011, 11:48:20 AM

I hope Cat's less of whiny bitch in the TV show. Her POVs were always the worst until Brienne came along aand took a big dump on the series.

I didn't mind Catelyn, but dear God Brienne was painful. Especially in the last book. She as mildly interesting when she was the insight into Jaime at least. Once she stomped off on her own, I really could not fucking care less. Hell, she was off looking for Sansa, and since we all KNOW where Sansa is, and we know she isn't vaguely close to finding her...what exactly was the fucking point?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on April 18, 2011, 11:53:19 AM
I didn't mind Catelyn, but dear God Brienne was painful. Especially in the last book. She as mildly interesting when she was the insight into Jaime at least. Once she stomped off on her own, I really could not fucking care less. Hell, she was off looking for Sansa, and since we all KNOW where Sansa is, and we know she isn't vaguely close to finding her...what exactly was the fucking point?

I started to like her POV at the end of AFFC but I do not remember it very well.  I just started re-reading it though so I will see.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2011, 11:55:13 AM

I started to like her POV at the end of AFFC but I do not remember it very well.  I just started re-reading it though so I will see.

Same here.
But her POV chapters could definitely have been cut down a lot, or at least could have gotten more direction. Anything to prevent AFFC from becoming a bunch of "nothing happens". Maybe Brienne could have actually picked up Sansa's trail and been following her & Littlefinger, or something.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Martinus

Quote from: Gups on April 18, 2011, 11:42:17 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2011, 11:30:25 AM

Yep, at a client meeting nothing screams "I don't know what I'm talking about" like "I'll have to get back to you on that one".

Fuck off.

Martinus

Quote from: Gups on April 18, 2011, 11:48:20 AM

My least favourite was Sansa. It was all whine whine whine omg Jeoffrey is so handsome whine whine whine swoon. Having a typical teenage girl as a narrator = bad idea.

Faeelin

Quote from: Berkut on April 18, 2011, 09:20:26 AM
Yeah, what was so changed about Daeny and Drogo? I mean, their "relationship" so far (as in the book) amounts to her getting married off to him and being terrified at the prospect.

The scene in the book ends with her falling in love with him a bit, because he was a gentle and compassionate lover. But I can see why that is not what HBO wants to go for.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2011, 12:23:29 PM
My least favourite was Sansa. It was all whine whine whine omg Jeoffrey is so handsome whine whine whine swoon. Having a typical teenage girl as a narrator = bad idea.

Yeah she had a crush on Joff for most of the first book but that was what made her interesting.  She was a young idealist who got smacked by the real world and how she deals with it.  I certainly was there back in my early teens.

I love Sansa she is one of my favs but then I always love the 'everyman' (so to speak) stuck in extraordinary circumstances.  I especially love how she says 'Fuck you' so well while on the surface saying and doing all the right things.  I think she is really going to surpise people at the end.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2011, 12:23:29 PM
:lmfao:

Irony:  not just the opposite of wrinkly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!