News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Zoupa on May 27, 2019, 12:22:30 PM
They got our expectations quite high from the first 6 seasons. Seasons 7-8 became normal television fare, rushed yet boring, and full of plot holes you could drive a truck through.

I give season 8 a 5/10, purely because it was beautiful cinematography and decent acting with the scripts they were given. I don't care about "it's GRRM's ending". What was presented to us on screen was stupid and made no sense in the context of the world they had previously built.

The score was magnificent.  In fact, it is tough to chose between scoring and cinematography as the most outstanding feature of the series, but the first 25 minutes of the season 6 finale tips it in favor of the scoring.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

It made sense to me, and it fit with the overall themes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

Josquius

The ending made sense.
The execution was awful and made it seem dumb.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: grumbler on May 27, 2019, 09:41:31 PM
They got our expectations quite high from the first 6 seasons. Seasons 7-8 became normal television fare, rushed yet boring, and full of plot holes you could drive a truck through.

I give season 8 a 5/10, purely because it was beautiful cinematography and decent acting with the scripts they were given. I don't care about "it's GRRM's ending". What was presented to us on screen was stupid and made no sense in the context of the world they had previously built.

The score was magnificent.  In fact, it is tough to chose between scoring and cinematography as the most outstanding feature of the series, but the first 25 minutes of the season 6 finale tips it in favor of the scoring.

Score and cinematography were truly great, yeah. They were outstanding amongst really excellent technical work, all the people behind the scenes earned their paychecks several times over.

Berkut

Quote from: The Larch on May 28, 2019, 04:43:16 AM

Score and cinematography were truly great, yeah. They were outstanding amongst really excellent technical work, all the people behind the scenes earned their paychecks several times over.

With the exception of the writers.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Larch

Quote from: Berkut on May 28, 2019, 06:30:41 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 28, 2019, 04:43:16 AM

With the exception of the writers.

And the ones who had to take care of removing coffee cups and water bottles.  :P

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on May 27, 2019, 09:38:24 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 27, 2019, 06:35:02 PM
Edmure was a turn coat, ultimately.

:huh:
He surrendered his castle to the Frey and ordered the Blackfish to be captured.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grinning_Colossus

I believe the alternative, as far as he knew, was having his baby catapulted over the walls followed by an assault or long siege that would have killed them all (and extirpated House Tully) anyway. Edmure didn't know that Jaime's conscience might have gotten the better of him or that Dany was about to invade, so it wasn't an unreasonable decision.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Habbaku

Quote from: viper37 on May 28, 2019, 09:40:58 AM

:wacko: Your definition of turncoat needs some work.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sophie Scholl

It has been fascinating listening to Ramin Djawadi grow and expand as a composer.  His work on Westworld has been magnificent as well.  A few thematic elements he tried out on Westworld seem to have emerged in Season 8's score, particularly the haunting piano dominated piece that accompanied the Night King's seeming victory during the Battle of Winterfell.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on May 28, 2019, 09:40:58 AM

Not willingly.  You DO know what "turncoat" means, don't you? 

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 28, 2019, 11:04:32 AM
It has been fascinating listening to Ramin Djawadi grow and expand as a composer.  His work on Westworld has been magnificent as well.  A few thematic elements he tried out on Westworld seem to have emerged in Season 8's score, particularly the haunting piano dominated piece that accompanied the Night King's seeming victory during the Battle of Winterfell.

H had some funny stories towards the beginning of the series about trying to sneak flute music into the score and how Benioff and Weiss always caught him (they didn't want flutes because they thought flute scores were associated in peoples' minds with the LOTR movies).

Bayraktar!