And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on May 23, 2019, 10:15:52 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on May 23, 2019, 10:12:24 AM
I feel like they ripped off Jackson's work, yes. The Ride of the Rohirrim, Helm's Deep...

I was thinking the clueless use of source material, reliance on big battle scenes, and glacial pace.

F you, the LOTR movies were great.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on May 23, 2019, 10:43:26 AM
Quote from: The Brain on May 23, 2019, 10:15:52 AM
I feel like they ripped off Jackson's work, yes. The Ride of the Rohirrim, Helm's Deep...

I was thinking the clueless use of source material, reliance on big battle scenes, and glacial pace.

F you, the LOTR movies were great.

Jesus, calm down. Have a beet.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on May 23, 2019, 10:43:13 AM

They should have taken note of how the elves didn't line up OUTSIDE of Helm's Deep to defend it.

Elves were clearly inferiors--they relied on outside help to save the day, whereas the Winterfell defenders defeated the Big Bad all by themselves!

If the strategy works, it's a good one!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on May 23, 2019, 04:49:04 AM
The seasons were magical because of their uneven length, but just in Westeros.

There were just SO many unfired Chekov's guns.

Was it ever confirmed they were just in Westeros?
I know this was heavily theorised but can't recall verification.
There are also theories for instance that the north connects to the far east of Essos- there's talk of another 'wall' and the same legends of Azor Ahai et al over in this world's China.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on May 23, 2019, 10:09:03 AM
The last two seasons felt like watching a Peter Jackson movie. :(

That's what I thought during the fight between the Hound and the Mountain.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on May 24, 2019, 12:48:05 AM
Next book in July 2020

Or New Zealand gets to imprison him, apparently.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Okay, I have a question.  In the summit they claim that all the most powerful lords and ladies of Westeros are in attendance.  One of the people there is Samwell Tarly.  I thought that implied he had returned home and inherited his families title.  In the ending scene he is wearing a Maester's out fit and is called "Grand Master".  So what is he exactly?  He had been a sworn member of the Night's Watch but I thought he was the only one left who hadn't died and figured that organization was now defunct.  If he's a Maester now, who runs Horn Hill?  He's the last heir.  He also has a child on the way and Maesters aren't allowed to have kids.  Also I thought it took a long time to become a Maester let along an Grand Maester.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

If he's out of succession "his" kid inherits
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Camerus

Except Gilly was preggers with Samwell's actual kid.

The succession of the Tarlys was yet another built up plotline that never went anywhere.

And surely Sam would be a lot more of a logical choice to inherit Highgarden than Bronn.

Camerus

I would have liked to see Bronn take Casterly Rock actually. With the gold mines depleted, it's much less of a valuable prize. Plus, Bronn's cunning and acquisitiveness is a good suit culturally for the place, much more so than Highgarden. 

There's also dim historical precedent, with the legend of Lann the Clever having kicked the original Casterlys out of the place.

Zoupa

Quote from: Razgovory on May 24, 2019, 07:13:50 PM
Okay, I have a question.  In the summit they claim that all the most powerful lords and ladies of Westeros are in attendance.  One of the people there is Samwell Tarly.  I thought that implied he had returned home and inherited his families title.  In the ending scene he is wearing a Maester's out fit and is called "Grand Master".  So what is he exactly?  He had been a sworn member of the Night's Watch but I thought he was the only one left who hadn't died and figured that organization was now defunct.  If he's a Maester now, who runs Horn Hill?  He's the last heir.  He also has a child on the way and Maesters aren't allowed to have kids.  Also I thought it took a long time to become a Maester let along an Grand Maester.

You're giving this way more thought than the writers. The answer is it looked cool to them for Sam to bring out that book.

Grinning_Colossus

Sam may have been serving as regent of Horn Hill for his son. But shortly thereafter he was arrested for unpaid library fees and forced to finish his Maester's degree. Also, Bran pardoned everything.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

grumbler

So Jon was brought back to life in a miracle in order to assassinate Dani?  The whole Azura Ahai thing as well as The Prince That Was Promised were just misdirection?

It also strikes me that all of the sacrifices of the troops and civilians who died in the Battle of Winterfell were completely unnecessary.  Everytbody runs south while Bran sits beneath the Weirwoord tree and Arya hides in the branches.  When the the Night King comes to kill Bran, Arya kills him, all the wights and ice dragon and White Walkers turn to ice and disintegrate, and not a single human suffers (except maybe from some colds).

As Habbaku notes, this was a very Peter Jackson sort of pointless-sacrifice-before-deus-ex-machina-saves-the-day sort of story.  The more I think about it, the worse it is.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

It'd be a lot harder for Arya to get close to the Night King if his army wasn't occupied.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?