News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 21, 2019, 03:18:41 PM
I do wonder how Brann as King is exactly going to work.

On the one hand, he has no allies (the North is now free), no natural source of power, and he's not exactly a warm and fuzzy type.

But on the other hand he can see through time and space.  Which sounds like it would be pretty handy.

And, as I pointed out earlier, he will live for thousands of years.  Not really sure why he made a point of needing a Master of Whisperers, unless that was a joke that nobody in the Small Council got.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on May 21, 2019, 03:08:30 PM
It looked to me as the choice of Bran was designed to allow the government to be ruled by the Small Council.  Country really needs a Parliament.

And then a Cromwell?  :P

The Minsky Moment

On the one hand, he has no allies (the North is now free), no natural source of power, and he's not exactly a warm and fuzzy type.

That's exactly how it is supposed to work - he has no agenda or family interest left, he can rule without fear or favor. If any other lord would move to replace him, it would leave all the rest worse off.  His source of power is inertia and collective deterrence.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Wonder how Sansa knew about Bran's dick?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Quote from: Josephus on May 21, 2019, 06:10:23 PM

IIRC it was mentioned already when he was thrown from the tower that he'd never be able to walk again or have children.

katmai

Quote from: Josephus on May 21, 2019, 06:10:23 PM

They aren't Lannisters, sheesh Josephus
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grinning_Colossus

But on the other hand he can see through time and space.  Which sounds like it would be pretty handy.

His uncle, cousin, and main proponent for the throne rule the Riverlands, Vale, and Westerlands, respectively. Also, there's nothing keeping the North from intervening in a civil war.  :ph34r:
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 21, 2019, 03:43:55 PM

And, as I pointed out earlier, he will live for thousands of years.  Not really sure why he made a point of needing a Master of Whisperers, unless that was a joke that nobody in the Small Council got.

Will he though?
Bloodraven was only 120 or so right? And he was hooked up to the freaky world tree and had the children around him all kinds of weirdness to extend his life. But he was still near death.

There's no reason Bran can't take a disciple, pass on his knowledge, and ultimately pass on the raven powers. And there could well be a case for this new person taking over. But I don't think it'd be automatic.
██████
██████
██████

KRonn

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 21, 2019, 01:33:24 PM
Quote from: grumbler on May 21, 2019, 12:36:59 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 21, 2019, 12:28:53 PM
Why didn't Grey Worm kill Jon immediately after the murder of Daenerys? He seemed pretty upset generally even before the murder and no one could have blamed him. Did I miss something or was it just another piece of lazy writing?

Grey Worm wasn't in the room when Jon assassinated Dani.  I'm not sure why; none of her guards were.

Unless Drogon was actually taking Dani's body to Grey Worm, GW wouldn't even know she was dead, let alone that Jon had killed her.

Right, I'd love to actually know what happened there. Jon is pretty dumb, did he just run to Grey Worm and admit he had killed Dany? Because absent doing that, I don't know how the Unsullied or Dothraki would even know Dany was dead, at least not until after Jon easily made his escape from their camp by walking out unmolested, since there was literally no body or human witness it'd be easy to presume she was off flying Drogon--something she did regularly.

Heh, maybe Drogon told Grey Worm that Jon did it.... I felt that was scene was a bit lame. Jon just killed her - what was his end game for the aftermath? He didn't want to rule but then who would rule and how would the new ruler come to power? Could have wound up with a worse situation as leaders warred with each other for power. He had no plan, just kill Dany.

Like you said, he was alone and had walked through some corridors getting there with no guards in sight. so how was he caught? Could he have slipped back out, and if so, why didn't he? There would still be the issue of succession for ruling.

KRonn

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 21, 2019, 03:43:55 PM

I originally thought Bran was a good choice, but it was done almost on a whim with the writing. Bran had a relatively small part in things, at least that most people would see. Maybe that would change as he ruled and his abilities would show themselves well enough?

Then too, Tyrion making his case for Bran, just having had his chains removed, seemed too quick and not debated as I would have expected. The points for Bran are that he's more neutral, non-power hungry and much less baggage than other of the realms leaders may have.

As I said, I think that Bran should have had more impact or visibility in at least the last few episodes to make him a more viable candidate.

viper37

Quote from: KRonn on May 22, 2019, 07:02:20 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 21, 2019, 01:33:24 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 21, 2019, 12:28:53 PM
Why didn't Grey Worm kill Jon immediately after the murder of Daenerys? He seemed pretty upset generally even before the murder and no one could have blamed him. Did I miss something or was it just another piece of lazy writing?

Grey Worm wasn't in the room when Jon assassinated Dani.  I'm not sure why; none of her guards were.

Unless Drogon was actually taking Dani's body to Grey Worm, GW wouldn't even know she was dead, let alone that Jon had killed her.

Right, I'd love to actually know what happened there. Jon is pretty dumb, did he just run to Grey Worm and admit he had killed Dany? Because absent doing that, I don't know how the Unsullied or Dothraki would even know Dany was dead, at least not until after Jon easily made his escape from their camp by walking out unmolested, since there was literally no body or human witness it'd be easy to presume she was off flying Drogon--something she did regularly.

Heh, maybe Drogon told Grey Worm that Jon did it.... I felt that was scene was a bit lame. Jon just killed her - what was his end game for the aftermath? He didn't want to rule but then who would rule and how would the new ruler come to power? Could have wound up with a worse situation as leaders warred with each other for power. He had no plan, just kill Dany.

Like you said, he was alone and had walked through some corridors getting there with no guards in sight. so how was he caught? Could he have slipped back out, and if so, why didn't he? There would still be the issue of succession for ruling.
Being totally honorable, he would denounce himself.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

I'm not sure why; none of her guards were.
Jon couldn't have killed her is she had guards, duh! ;)

I guess she felt having Drogon down the stairs was all the protection she needed.

Well, there is a pool of blood right there...  And there's the fact, that some people did see or were aware that Jon Snow was going to see the queen and was alone with her.
Circumstancial, but it isn't exactly modern US standards of evidences to convict someone over there.

But also, I figured, he went out crying and said something like "I loved her, but she was crazy, I had to do it, I'm sorry".

Also the fact that Drogon melted the Iron Throne, left with Daenery's body, but didn't reduce anything else near the blood to a pile of ash, ruling out pretty much anyone else.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

You know, one of the founding premisies of the novel/show was never actually addressed.  Why are the seasons out of whack?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Yeah, that makes sense. He wouldn't likely have just slinked away and someone had to have seen him go in even though we didn't see anyone as he walked through the halls. But I think the issue still stands, there was not really any  end game in killing Dany. A good possibility of factional fighting between the Lords vying for the crown. And what would be the reaction of the Unsullied and Dothraki? It could have wound up so very messy. A question mostly for the writers though, and things were so quiet in the aftermath which wasn't really explained.