News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Yeah, but that's the same as Romeo and Juliet (love forbidden by the institution the lovers are part of), and nobody is going to call that story "sociological*". I think the writer sees a different storytelling model where there's just theme (the struggle for power as inherently destructive). Imho, GoT is conventional storytelling, and very good at it.

Again, his larger point, how conventional character-driven storytelling shapes our worldview in possibly detrimental ways, is a valid one, and a very interesting topic.

*I find "dialectical" a better word and the one I've seen more used when discussing this kind of storytelling, but I guess the writer doesn't want to use Marxist words  :P

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on May 19, 2019, 09:58:25 AM
Yeah, but that's the same as Romeo and Juliet (love forbidden by the institution the lovers are part of), and nobody is going to call that story "sociological*".

Interesting that you use that example, because Romeo and Juliett has been taught for decades in US high schools almost exclusively, as far as I can tell, as a sociological story.  It's generally the first of these that students encounter, so teachers use it to show how the sociological tale works and what it takes to fully understand one. 

(It's been replaced as the first sociological work by Things Fall Apart at my school, since sophomore year is about world geography, history, and literature)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: celedhring on May 19, 2019, 09:58:25 AM
Yeah, but that's the same as Romeo and Juliet (love forbidden by the institution the lovers are part of), and nobody is going to call that story "sociological*".
WTF? That's the only thing that's worth talking about in that play. It's trash, one of Shakespear's worst works.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

All those stories about how the everyone was crying after they read the script? Now we know the reason.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zoupa

This was really bad  :lol:  Like, Dexter level bad.

I feel bad for the actors, especially Emilia Clarke. What a shit sandwich they made them eat.

katmai

I can't believe Bran really is the Night King.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

FunkMonk

Wow, can't believe Ghost is the one to sit on the Iron Throne
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Berkut

My initial gut reaction is that it isn't that bad - not nearly as bad as the previous couple of episodes. The finale was always going to be somewhat anti-climatic. The writing, of course, was shit. If they knew it was going to end up with Bran on the throne, they sure as hell didn't act like it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Zoupa

Bran: I don't wanna be king

Tyrion: Come on dude be king

Bran: why do you think I came all this way?

:wacko:

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Berkut on May 19, 2019, 10:10:09 PM
My initial gut reaction is that it isn't that bad - not nearly as bad as the previous couple of episodes. The finale was always going to be somewhat anti-climatic. The writing, of course, was shit. If they knew it was going to end up with Bran on the throne, they sure as hell didn't act like it.
I'm of the same mind.  We'll see how I feel in the morning.  I have a whole host of issues with the final season(s), but the finale did manage to at least put things in a nice trash can that hides some of the smell.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on May 19, 2019, 10:10:09 PM

Well I guess the leak was right after all.

But I guess if you have a basically super human all-knowing being you might as well put it in charge.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

That was unexpected...  Why would would you send someone to protect a wall with a big hole in it from a people who are no longer there?  What's the night watch suppose to do?  And how does the King have authority to send someone to the Night's Watch when he no longer is suzerain of the North?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

So basically  move along, nothing to see here

FunkMonk

So, uh, was the point of the last 2 seasons to show us how Bran manipulated the course of events to become King of Westeros?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

Just realized the meaning of the final scenes in the show:  there was no Night's Watch.  The story of Jon's exile to it was just to shut up Grey Worm.  Jon was exiled beyond the wall, but that's where he wanted to go anyway.

Bayraktar!