News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grinning_Colossus

The petition to remake the season has over 800k signatures now. I signed it just to do my part in making that guy feel bad.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

FunkMonk

I was just gonna ask, how many of you have signed that petition?  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on May 17, 2019, 07:39:58 AM
Sam's older brother

He didn't even know Sam was a POV character, so it's not surprising he wouldn't grasp the nuances of Sam's story.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Ah yes the noble Tarleys who betrayed their liege lord and assisted in the slaughter of what remained of that House and their former comrades.   Those are the good guys now?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on May 17, 2019, 08:55:54 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 17, 2019, 07:39:58 AM
Sam's older brother

He didn't even know Sam was a POV character, so it's not surprising he wouldn't grasp the nuances of Sam's story.

It's far less work to write the script for a book adaptation if you don't read the book. Case in point: Lynch's Dune.

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 17, 2019, 09:22:36 AM
Ah yes the noble Tarleys who betrayed their liege lord and assisted in the slaughter of what remained of that House and their former comrades.   Those are the good guys now?

The point, I believe, was that Samwell was the eldest, and sent to the Wall solely so that Dickon could inherit.  It is pretty nitpicky to try to make a big deal out of a comment made in passing like that, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 17, 2019, 09:22:36 AM

Their liege lord betrayed the crown. Now you're just reaching ( heh)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on May 17, 2019, 10:40:12 AM
Their liege lord betrayed the crown. Now you're just reaching ( heh)

Their liege lord of the time never betrayed the crown before being murdered by the usurper.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Tommen was the last Baratheon claimant.  Once he died, it was either Daenerys or pick a usurper.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 17, 2019, 10:55:59 AM
Tommen was the last Baratheon claimant.  Once he died, it was either Daenerys or pick a usurper.

Gendry?  He probably has a better claim than any of Robert's "legitimate" children.

I know there were other bastards out there too, but Gendry is the only one shown in the show.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

The lore is that bastards have no inheritance rights unless legitimized by their father or a reigning monarch.
--Joan Robinson

celedhring

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 17, 2019, 12:01:27 PM
The lore is that bastards have no inheritance rights unless legitimized by their father or a reigning monarch.

Dany did just that after the Winterfell battle.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on May 17, 2019, 12:06:14 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 17, 2019, 12:01:27 PM

Dany did just that after the Winterfell battle.

And because of that he is now her vassal.  As Tyrion pointed out, it was a smart move.

HVC

But with better writing she would have also accidentally legitimized his right to the throne.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 17, 2019, 10:55:59 AM

The idea that there are no Baratheon cousins, second cousins, third cousins, etc whatsoever seems unlikely to be true.  Cersei usurped the throne immediately upon causing the death of her only surviving child, but that doesn't make her legitimate.  She has no more claim on the throne than Randyll Tarley himself had - maybe less, depending on bloodlines. 

Randal was a traitor to both the royal house and his own liege, whose death was richly deserved.

Bayraktar!