News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Point is, she is the least bad option for everyone, there's barely any genuine enthusiasm for her in Westeros, and this has made her feel isolated and unloved. Yes, the show spent a grand total of cca. 10 minutes explaining/showing this, but they were quite clear about it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on May 15, 2019, 11:14:57 AM
Point is, she is the least bad option for everyone, there's barely any genuine enthusiasm for her in Westeros, and this has made her feel isolated and unloved. Yes, the show spent a grand total of cca. 10 minutes explaining/showing this, but they were quite clear about it.

Everyone?  The show itself spent a great deal of time explaining the context of why Tryion's plan to allow the city to surrender made sense.  He made the case that the people of Kings Landing were fearful of Cersei and once liberated would be loyal.   Dany could have just taken out Cersei and as Tyrion explained, the city would have been hers.  These after the fact justifications make no sense.  The show was going for shock value.  Their problem is, unlike the twists in the books, there was nothing to justify it.  Even the genetic argument makes no sense.  No Targaryen has suddenly snapped like that.

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 15, 2019, 11:22:41 AM

He made the case that the people of Kings Landing were fearful of Cersei and once liberated would be loyal.   

As I said. Least bad option.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on May 15, 2019, 11:24:54 AM

He made the case that the people of Kings Landing were fearful of Cersei and once liberated would be loyal.   

But justify that position. Don't just restate it as an assertion of fact.  If she had spared the city she would have been a good option for the people of Kings Landing.  In fact the very best option having killed the despot who was ruling them bringing an end to all the years of chaos and strife.  She saved the North and now she would have saved the South. 

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 15, 2019, 11:47:56 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 15, 2019, 11:24:54 AM

But justify that position. Don't just restate it as an assertion of fact.  If she had spared the city she would have been a good option for the people of Kings Landing.  In fact the very best option having killed the despot who was ruling them.

I mean that she was no popular hero, and people would had been content with her rule because of the combination of her legitimacy and being the strongest claimant. Not because people thought good of her.

The show did not even mention of the common folk of King's Landing awaiting her as a liberator, so we must assume the intention is that there was no such sentiment. And we was the Northerners almost entirely ignoring her in favour of Jon, when Jon did precisely nothing apart from convincing her to help.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

My god. The fallout over this.
So many smug idiots mocking those who are upset at the shittiness of the episode because obviously we haven't been paying attention and Dany going bad was so expected.
Yeah...
Not the issue.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

I went back to the 60 minutes interview with Martin.  What he said then gives me a lot of hope.  "There will be a lot of debate [about who's ending is better]"

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on May 15, 2019, 11:52:06 AM
:yeah:

What am I looking at here? Did GRRM's twitter people like your tweet?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

NO, Martin liked my post on FB in response to his own. Just thought it was kind of cool.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on May 15, 2019, 12:13:44 PM
NO, Martin liked my post on FB in response to his own. Just thought it was kind of cool.

That is pretty cool!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

The Guardian summed it up nicely.

QuoteIf the Iron Throne was melted to misshapen slag by Drogon's fiery assault – and judging by the smoking crater that was left once Daenerys was finished, that seems a possibility – it would probably serve as an appropriate metaphor for how a seemingly bulletproof show lost its way.

Zanza

A spoiler about the next deus ex machina appearance:

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on May 15, 2019, 12:00:07 PM
My god. The fallout over this.
So many smug idiots mocking those who are upset at the shittiness of the episode because obviously we haven't been paying attention and Dany going bad was so expected.
Yeah...
Not the issue.

Yeah but you see I've resigned myself to a general shitty execution in this series 1-2 episodes ago. For me, that's the default of the series now. And from that perspective, episode 5 was good.

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on May 15, 2019, 12:13:44 PM

Senpai noticed you!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien