News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Do you guys think that someone might leave the show with a damaged reputation? I don't know what are Benioff & Weiss' job prospects once the show is over, but I wouldn't be super optimistic about them at this point. I'd say that they were good stewards of the product while they had Martin's framework to follow and adapt, but once they were on their own they've shown to be way more unreliable than expected. Don't know how the last two episodes might change this perception by now, but who knows...

Habbaku

Quote from: The Larch on May 08, 2019, 08:01:54 AM
Do you guys think that someone might leave the show with a damaged reputation? I don't know what are Benioff & Weiss' job prospects once the show is over, but I wouldn't be super optimistic about them at this point.

They're off to do Star Wars. I don't see that changing. Disney cares about success.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Larch

Quote from: Habbaku on May 08, 2019, 08:49:35 AM
Do you guys think that someone might leave the show with a damaged reputation? I don't know what are Benioff & Weiss' job prospects once the show is over, but I wouldn't be super optimistic about them at this point.

They're off to do Star Wars. I don't see that changing. Disney cares about success.

What Star Wars stuff? I haven't really followed their post current trilogy plans...

Habbaku

Not really a whole lot of info about it just yet--just that D&D are responsible for either the next Star Wars series or one of the coming movies.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

At least they can't make space much darker than it should be.

Solmyr

Quote from: The Larch on May 08, 2019, 08:50:59 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on May 08, 2019, 08:49:35 AM

What Star Wars stuff? I haven't really followed their post current trilogy plans...

They will apparently be involved with the Old Republic series. Oh well, I was rather looking forward to that, but now I guess it'll be shit.

Habbaku

Eh. Just because they fan-fic and drop the characterization landing on GOT (which isn't quite guaranteed, as there are two more episodes), doesn't mean they'll do the same with something like Star Wars where they get to build it themselves. Hopefully with better writers at the helm...

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

They're in kind of a tough spot - they're trying to come in with a nice and tidy conclusion to source material that isn't even theirs, when the original author has famously been unable to come up with a nice and tidy conclusion.

It's tough to say how they'll do: doing some quick research pre-GOT both just had some history as writers.  They'd never directed or produced anything before.  Now obviously GOT has turned out well for them, whether or not they stick the landing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 08, 2019, 11:09:24 AM
They're in kind of a tough spot - they're trying to come in with a nice and tidy conclusion to source material that isn't even theirs, when the original author has famously been unable to come up with a nice and tidy conclusion.

It's tough to say how they'll do: doing some quick research pre-GOT both just had some history as writers.  They'd never directed or produced anything before.  Now obviously GOT has turned out well for them, whether or not they stick the landing.

:huh:

Why do you think the author has not "come up with a conclusion"?   As Grumbler pointed out earlier he did in fact tell the show producers how he intended to wrap things up.  The question is whether the show has actually followed that lead.  The answer is likely not since their falling out had to do with the same problem.

This is not about "sticking the landing" this and the last season have been poorly done. Without the source material actually written out for them they are lost.

Josephus

Do you guys think that someone might leave the show with a damaged reputation? I don't know what are Benioff & Weiss' job prospects once the show is over, but I wouldn't be super optimistic about them at this point. I'd say that they were good stewards of the product while they had Martin's framework to follow and adapt, but once they were on their own they've shown to be way more unreliable than expected. Don't know how the last two episodes might change this perception by now, but who knows...

The show's a success and made HBO lots of money. What's damaging to their reputation?
Really the ones constantly complaining about the show, us, are a very small percentage of their viewership.
No, i don't have stats to back me, but I have a gut feeling B & W are laughing all the way to the Iron Bank
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

Berkut

https://www.tor.com/2019/05/08/doing-the-math-on-game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-4/?fbclid=IwAR3wiZudYuWybw9cBBtH8n5iEI2r7ZY3XNuQseoGuvQ1G2ESW0pA0gaKoBk

Summary:

Given what we saw with Eurons super scorpion, those would have had to be traveling about 2000 m/s. Roughly twice the speed of a modern sniper rifle.

My god, it is just so fucking stupid. The entire scene was just so lame.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Zoupa

I saw another from an aerospace engineer that calculated the torque of their ballista as around half that of the Saturn V...

What a mess of an ending.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on May 08, 2019, 05:46:31 PM
https://www.tor.com/2019/05/08/doing-the-math-on-game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-4/?fbclid=IwAR3wiZudYuWybw9cBBtH8n5iEI2r7ZY3XNuQseoGuvQ1G2ESW0pA0gaKoBk

Summary:

Given what we saw with Eurons super scorpion, those would have had to be traveling about 2000 m/s. Roughly twice the speed of a modern sniper rifle.

My god, it is just so fucking stupid. The entire scene was just so lame.

QuoteI saw more than one complaint online from folks who doubted that bolts from a ballista could actually blow through dragons and ships in the ways depicted. Knowing something about real ballistae, I thought the same myself when I first watched the episode.

But you know what? I've got to give credit where it is due now that I've seen the numbers. A bolt cutting through the air at friggin' hypersonic speed would indeed obliterate anything in its path

:lol: