News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 01, 2019, 02:23:06 PM
You are assuming the someone other than the NK could have laid a hand on Bran.  If that was the case then any of the attackers could just have put an arrow, spear or sword into him.  The NK waited until the battle was won.  When he approached Bran he was surrounded by his army and his senior undead dudes.

That's one of the clues that led me to my theory.  It was quite obvious to me that, had the wights been able to kill Bran, they'd have done so.  They were mindless killers in all other circumstances save that one.  It's pretty clear from that scene that only the NK could kill Bran, so there must be something about Bran that we haven't been shown.

It was a Night King himself who killed the last Three-Eyed Raven under fairly similar circumstances.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

The NK needed bran to erase history (whatever that entails) so I don't think he was going to kill him, maybe turn him like the other walkers. Why he didn't do that to the other three eyed crow I don't know, maybe he had already passed the majority of the power to bran
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on May 01, 2019, 09:02:45 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 01, 2019, 02:23:06 PM
You are assuming the someone other than the NK could have laid a hand on Bran.  If that was the case then any of the attackers could just have put an arrow, spear or sword into him.  The NK waited until the battle was won.  When he approached Bran he was surrounded by his army and his senior undead dudes.

That's one of the clues that led me to my theory.  It was quite obvious to me that, had the wights been able to kill Bran, they'd have done so.  They were mindless killers in all other circumstances save that one.

They didn't kill the original deserter from the Nights Watch. For some reason...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on May 01, 2019, 10:10:31 PM
They didn't kill the original deserter from the Nights Watch. For some reason...

My recollection is that Will ran into White Walkers.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

Off topic:

This sports analogy reminds me of a TV guy who used to cover Toronto FC in their early seasons. After a game, he would go up to a player who scored a goal or something and ask him something like this:

"So you scored a great goal in the 35th minute. You started from the back fed a good ball to Smith, who passed it back to you. You dribbled around two defence, shot at the goalie, who parried the ball back to you and you put it effortlesly in the back of the net. Tell us about it."

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Here's another military strategy article.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/4/30/18522955/game-of-thrones-season-8-battle-winterfell-military

At some point, people need to chill and realize it's just a show about dragons, kings and tits (though not so much the latter anymore)

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Habbaku

Quote from: Josephus on May 02, 2019, 08:47:36 AM
Off topic:

This sports analogy reminds me of a TV guy who used to cover Toronto FC in their early seasons. After a game, he would go up to a player who scored a goal or something and ask him something like this:

"So you scored a great goal in the 35th minute. You started from the back fed a good ball to Smith, who passed it back to you. You dribbled around two defence, shot at the goalie, who parried the ball back to you and you put it effortlesly in the back of the net. Tell us about it."

God, what an awful question. There was, however, a conference where LeBron James managed to field something like that by basically just recalling every movement and reciting it. There are some videos out there about it--I've always found his recall incredibly impressive.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Josephus on May 02, 2019, 09:46:30 AM
At some point, people need to chill and realize it's just a show about dragons, kings and tits (though not so much the latter anymore)

Yeah. At this point, I'm resigned to a Hollywood ending of Jon and Daenarys shacking up, the dragons having a million babies, Arya marrying Gendry and retiring to Storm's End, Sansa and Tyrion uniting the North with the Westerlands, Dorne being completely forgotten about, Bran's storyline being over (for no narrative purpose whatsoever), etc.

Anything above that I get is going to be gravy.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

I want to hope the books will be resolved better, but for now I just hope we get books at all.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on May 02, 2019, 10:20:45 AM
I want to hope the books will be resolved better, but for now I just hope we get books at all.

The show left the books a long time ago.  No reason to think the books will be dumbed down to this level.

Habbaku

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 02, 2019, 10:37:52 AM
Quote from: celedhring on May 02, 2019, 10:20:45 AM

The show left the books a long time ago.  No reason to think the books will be dumbed down to this level.

Yep. The books are definitely not going to end with dumb, out-of-character actions like we see in the show. But the books are also unlikely to come swiftly.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

It's hard to guess what the ending is going to be in the books because we don't know yet who is going to write the final book in the series.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 02, 2019, 10:59:40 AM
It's hard to guess what the ending is going to be in the books because we don't know yet who is going to write the final book in the series.

Sanderson, surely. :P
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

When the mercenary captain presented himself and his Golden Company, he gave his name... Does anyone remember his name, and didn't it have some significance in the books...?  I can't remember anything...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.