Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: grumbler on April 28, 2019, 09:39:32 PM
Not as big a butcher's bill as I expected.  But I was surprised they offed the NK with three episodes to go.

Now Arya got her big moment, though, it just reinforces my conviction that she won't off Cersei, too.

Some great moments in that episode.  The Dothraki lights going out bit was the best.
Very much evened out the odds for the coming battle for the Throne.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

viper37

what an episode!

Although, it will be difficult to take on the Throne now...  Unless there is some shifting alliances again.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Rex Francorum

Indeed, I was flabbergasted. I wonder what Bran did do besides worging ravens. It was a bit disappointing to see him not do much.
To rent

Habbaku

I do wonder if they've decided to scrap prophecy and the other mystical stuff now? There's plenty of time left (3 massive episodes) for them to keep to it, though.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

I suppose they had to kill off the Dothraki and the unsullied to make the final conflict interesting.  But what a waste - hey let's just charge into the darkness and see what happens.

But I agree, watching the lights go out was a good scene. 

Now I really hope the books are finished.  This was all too straightforward with only tertiary characters dying - more like standard fantasy fare rather than the style of Martin.  I want to see how he brings everything to a conclusion.

Razgovory

Well, there is only so much you can subvert and still keep it interesting.  You can take a circuitous route, but you still need to stop the world ending threat.  I was kind of hoping we'd actually hear the Night King speak.

This season has been much better than last season. :)
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sophie Scholl

I liked it at lot upon completion, but... problems are arising as I think it over.  At the very least... are Dany, Jon, and company the worst tacticians and planners ever or is it just me?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

grumbler

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on April 29, 2019, 03:56:57 AM
I liked it at lot upon completion, but... problems are arising as I think it over.  At the very least... are Dany, Jon, and company the worst tacticians and planners ever or is it just me?

The battles have always been tactically dumb but visually spectacular.  Like most of the swordfighting - just chop, chop, stab.  Arya's fight was the only one that showed the value of finesse.  That used to bother me, but I realized that TV has its own needs.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 26, 2019, 04:01:54 PM
Murder-hobo? :unsure:

Basically an RPG character in D&D or any rpg game, tabletop or pc. They just wander the land doing what ever they want, killing anyone who crosses their path.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grinning_Colossus

This episode greatly improved my opinion of Peter Jackson.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

HVC

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on April 29, 2019, 06:51:17 AM
This episode greatly improved my opinion of Peter Jackson.

Watch the hobbit again to correct it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grinning_Colossus

Anyone who's ever rushed to finish one of his girlfriend's reports, discarding most of the content and only using parts of the outline, because she freaked out the night before it was due and someone's got to do it or it won't get done before the 9 AM deadline understands what happened to those movies.

Josephus

From Cersei's point of view, she did the right thing.  The Union army is pretty much destroyed.

On paper, she has the upper hand, though Danaeyrs has the trump card dragon.

Three episodes to figure it all out. Wonder if Bran did anything, other than sleep through the whole thing. We'll find out.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grinning_Colossus

For years I assumed the series could be summed up as: "An ancient evils rises in the far north. The inhuman Others and their undead host march inexorably southward, determined to extinguish the light of civilization, humanity, and life itself. Only the men of the Night's Watch stand against the darkness. Meanwhile, the lords of the south pointlessly scheme and war against each other, oblivious to the true threat."

But I was wrong. It's about who sits on the Iron Throne after all.