News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Her killing the Freys wasn't enough?

I'm sure that it will come up again, but I don't think it'll be face-shifted Jaime. There's definitely a non-zero chance, though, with Cersei still being on the list...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on April 26, 2019, 10:54:05 AM

I'm sure that it will come up again, but I don't think it'll be face-shifted Jaime. There's definitely a non-zero chance, though, with Cersei still being on the list...

Not really, compared to the others on the List.  The Freys were really just a demonstration of what she was now capable of. Cersei is the main target left.  The Hound seems to have received a pardon.

edit: think back to the regret she felt for how she had wasted her selections for who should die when she could have named anyone.

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on April 26, 2019, 08:52:22 AM
Jaime has to survive to kill Cersei himself, so I don't see him biting it at Winterfell.

That's what I think, too.  Cersei has to die at the hands of her "younger brother" and the show made an effort to make sure we knew that Jaime was born minutes after her.  Plus, she is convinced that the younger brother is Tyrion therefor, by GoT logic, it cannot be him.

I don't think a face-shifted Arya could fulfill the prophecy.

Cersei is no longer pregnant.  She refused wine with Tyrion because she was pregnant, and now she is drinking wine. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on April 26, 2019, 10:54:05 AM

Plus her threats against Sansa were made much more real by the faceshifting idea.  She used faceshifting to kill Meryn Trant, too.  I don't think we need some final dramatic use of the ability to justify its use in the books or show.  You are right that it's a non-zero chance, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on April 26, 2019, 10:59:13 AM
Jaime has to survive to kill Cersei himself, so I don't see him biting it at Winterfell.

That's what I think, too.  Cersei has to die at the hands of her "younger brother" and the show made an effort to make sure we knew that Jaime was born minutes after her.  Plus, she is convinced that the younger brother is Tyrion therefor, by GoT logic, it cannot be him.

Cersei is no longer pregnant.  She refused wine with Tyrion because she was pregnant, and now she is drinking wine.

It's remarkable that a pseudo-medeival society like Westeros would even have any connection between alcohol and pregnancy.  *quickly googles*  Although there were a few people through history who made such an observation (including Aristotle!), fetal alcohol syndrome was only really recognized in the 1970s.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on April 26, 2019, 11:12:58 AM

It's remarkable that a pseudo-medeival society like Westeros would even have any connection between alcohol and pregnancy.  *quickly googles*  Although there were a few people through history who made such an observation (including Aristotle!), fetal alcohol syndrome was only really recognized in the 1970s.

On the list of remarkable things in Westeros, I'd put that squarely below dragons, zombies, giants, and shapeshifters.

:P

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on April 26, 2019, 11:17:33 AM

On the list of remarkable things in Westeros, I'd put that squarely below dragons, zombies, giants, and shapeshifters.

:P

:lol:

Habbaku

I'm really going to miss this show/thread when this is over.

At least until book 6 comes out.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Valmy

Book 6 will come out...someday. In some distant year in some distant land.

It is Book 7 that will disappear into the mists of legend.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Your view is certainly consistent with a plain reading of the prophesy.  But given how Martin always twists things, another result could occur.

"Aye. Queen you shall be... until there comes another, younger and more beautiful, to cast you down and take all that you hold dear"

I wondered how Dani was going to "take" Jamie - which up until now was included in all Cercei held dear.  But I think the answer now is Jamie is no longer held dear so the only thing Dani needs to take is the crown of the seven kingdoms.  Jamie could die for this part of the prophesy to be fulfilled. 

As a side note, for the Prophesy to be fulfilled, Jon cannot claim the crown as his birthright.

"Cersei: Will the king and I have children?
Maggy: Oh, aye. Six-and-ten for him, and three for you. Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds, she said. And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you."

Now to the part you referred to directly.  One thing of interest is the part about how she would die is not the answer to her question.  She only asked whether she would have children.

Since the answer is in relation to her question about her children, it just occurred to me that "valonqar" could mean the younger brother amongst her three children.  But that would mean that Tommen's body was not burned as Cersei had instructed but instead kept by the Hand for whatever twisted experiments he likes to perform on his own time.

Regarding Arya, valonqar could be a reference to someone who resembles one of Cercei's younger brothers.  The books don't tell us how precise the translation is.

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on April 26, 2019, 11:48:19 AM

I'm pretty well resigned to that at this point. I give a 95% chance of book 6 coming out, probably within the next yearish.

Book 7...probably closer to 25% chance of release within the next 10 years.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on April 26, 2019, 12:42:14 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 26, 2019, 11:48:19 AM

I'm pretty well resigned to that at this point. I give a 95% chance of book 6 coming out, probably within the next yearish.

Book 7...probably closer to 25% chance of release within the next 10 years.

I am wondering whether he has been holding out while watching the shows writers struggle without his writing as a guide and that after this season ends he will publish.

Valmy

Heh. I get the feeling from reading his blog that he is desperate to release this thing. He just cannot finish it for whatever reason.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grinning_Colossus

GRRM is 71, overweight, and evidently doesn't enjoy writing these books anymore. I predict that he'll finish The Winds of Winter within the next 5 years and then abandon the series entirely and/or die.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?