News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Martin as much as said Jon was a wight, and didn't breath, didn't bleed, etc.  Maybe his survival in impossible circumstances in this episode will reveal that... reveal?

I found the idea that Jon couldn't board the dragon one of the real breaking points of the suspension of disbelief. Suppose he just ignores the charging wights and hops aboard the dragon?  Is it really reasonable to believe that the couple of wights he delays could have killed a dragon had he let them have access to it?  The arrival of Benjan is even more deus ex machina than the arrival of Danerys.

The show just went from "event" to "episode."  That sucks, man.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

Quote from: HVC on August 21, 2017, 06:05:20 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on August 21, 2017, 05:57:38 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 21, 2017, 05:21:42 PM
Quote from: celedhring on August 21, 2017, 04:28:34 PM
I sure hope the books are better than this.

Yeah, it seems like they're losing direction. The only thing that makes me sad is that there's a totally different usueless dorn story in the book, so I have to live through it twice.

You're making a huge assumption that the Dorne story in the books is useless. It hasn't been shown that it is yet, and I have some ideas as to why it will matter.

[spoiler] husband to be got charbroiled. Not sure what else can happen that will have a different out come then the tv show, but along a different meandering road [spoiler]

[spoiler]Quentyn isn't the Dorne storyline...[/spoiler]
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Also, how nobody is mentioning what happened to the Freys? I mean, it's not like they weren't a strong-ish party in the whole ordeal, and they have all been vanquished, likely leaving a pretty gaping power vacuum in the Neck.

Josquius

True on not mentioning the Freys at all, which is weird.
IIRC the Lannisters off hand mention they're dead at one point and thats it.

What confuses me more is the status of the Vale and Riverlands.
So...the Vale is part of the North now? It's independent? Its still officially under Cersei?

Quote from: viper37 on August 21, 2017, 03:45:40 PM
Quote from: Tyr on August 21, 2017, 11:32:18 AM
8: My theory... The Walkers can warg into zombies. Thats why that one stayed alive. Its where the killed walker has transferred. Thats why the zombies really wanted it back. And why the show was careful to always hide its face.
when a Walker dies, the zombies he converted die with him.  that's what they said in the episode though.  I have no idea if it's consistent with the episode at Hardhome.

One of them was left behind however.
Why?
Why would he happen to have one made by another walker with him?
██████
██████
██████

Gups

I don't think there's much point in worrying about internal consistency at this stage in the show. The writers have obviously given up.

I'm just enjoying the action sequences and the occasionally funny bits of dialogue. 

Tamas

Quote from: Gups on August 22, 2017, 05:35:33 AM
I don't think there's much point in worrying about internal consistency at this stage in the show. The writers have obviously given up.

I'm just enjoying the action sequences and the occasionally funny bits of dialogue.

Yep, exactly.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: HVC on August 21, 2017, 05:20:42 PM
The rock didn't break the ice so they realized it was frozen over. As for not burning big papa ice king, dani didn't know he was the leader, or what killing him would do. She took out the walkers closest to the group.
Even if she didn't explicitly know what the Night King looked like, it seems she should have recognized a command group upon seeing it.  Everyone else in the walker army was on foot and moving.  The Night King and his crew were initially on horseback and observing from a distance.  She's been involved in battles, she should know by this point one would think.  Heck, even just by common sense process of deduction as to who is important and who is not.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Tamas

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on August 22, 2017, 06:57:55 AM
The rock didn't break the ice so they realized it was frozen over. As for not burning big papa ice king, dani didn't know he was the leader, or what killing him would do. She took out the walkers closest to the group.
Even if she didn't explicitly know what the Night King looked like, it seems she should have recognized a command group upon seeing it.  Everyone else in the walker army was on foot and moving.  The Night King and his crew were initially on horseback and observing from a distance.  She's been involved in battles, she should know by this point one would think.  Heck, even just by common sense process of deduction as to who is important and who is not.

:rolleyes: If she kills the Night King the series is as good as over and they have 1.5 seasons to fill out still. That was the only reason and there is no point in running a debriefing analysis on the battlefield.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on August 21, 2017, 04:51:50 PM
Um but then the one guy lobbed a snowball and they decided to hell with the thin ice?
it was a rock.  The rock bounced midway through the lake indicating the ice would likely hold their weight now.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

he's immune to fire

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on August 22, 2017, 04:57:39 AM
What confuses me more is the status of the Vale and Riverlands.
So...the Vale is part of the North now? It's independent? Its still officially under Cersei?
The Vale is allied to the North, since they're loyal to Littlefinger their nominal leader under the inept boy.  if the boy ordered Lf killed, they would still do it, I mean, but he kinda delegated all military matters to him, so...

Sansa said they came for her, they were loyal to her, but I think she's in for a rude awakening.

One of them was left behind however.
Why?
He was turned by another of the Walkers.  It was quite convenient that was the only one in the group.

Why would he happen to have one made by another walker with him?
He didn't think he'd meet a skilled warrior but poor tactician equipped with Valyrian steel +10 vs undead.  ;)

viper37

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on August 22, 2017, 06:57:55 AM
If she doesn't know the zombies die when the Walker dies, she concentrates on the immediate danger to Jon and his team, the zombies close to them, so she unfroze the lake, burning the troops in the process.

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on August 22, 2017, 06:59:41 AM
:rolleyes: If she kills the Night King
they can only be killed by Valyrian steel.  And maybe dragon glass.

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on August 22, 2017, 07:17:01 AM
Quote from: Josephus on August 21, 2017, 04:51:50 PM
Um but then the one guy lobbed a snowball and they decided to hell with the thin ice?
it was a rock.  The rock bounced midway through the lake indicating the ice would likely hold their weight now.

Not convinced I would make that deduction. ice can hold small rock does not equal ice can hold zombie horde
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

It was more ice can hold rock - hey, what if zombies go across in smaller numbers. At first one at a time and increasing from there.
██████
██████
██████