News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on August 16, 2017, 02:43:14 PM
And I have provided the evidence: he told Jamie so, in their last meeting.

I don't have the books with me - what exactly did Jaime say he said.  That seems to me is the only actual evidence of any intent to depose.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HVC

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 16, 2017, 04:18:55 PM
Quote from: grumbler on August 16, 2017, 02:43:14 PM
And I have provided the evidence: he told Jamie so, in their last meeting.

I don't have the books with me - what exactly did Jaime say he said.  That seems to me is the only actual evidence of any intent to depose.

Iirc he told Jaime there would be some changes when he got back from the battle (of the trident). Jaime was upset because the king wouldn't let him go and wanted him at kings landing as a guarentee that tywin didn't declare for the rebel
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Spoilers from the leak

[spoiler] suck it greyfox :P [/spoiler]
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 16, 2017, 04:18:55 PM

We don't know exactly what Jamie said because we are hearing this second-hand, as I recall.  But he apologized for not "organizing the council" or something like that, before he had to leave, and that he'd do so and there would be changes when he got back.

And we don't have lots of evidence of intent to depose because the intent to depose wasn't public (it couldn't be) and it happened before the story began. 

We actually don't have evidence of lots of things the show takes for granted.  We don't know that the Sept of Baelor was built by King Baelor, though everyone assumes that that is true.  Demanding hard evidence that Rhaegar wanted to depose the king before abandoning the argument that the High Septon was unwise in keeping Rhaegars new marriage a secret seems daft to me (particularly when you can't present any evidence to the contrary, and just insist that the burden of proof isn't on you). 

We may, or may not, get more data on the history of the period around the time of Robert's Rebellion.  Until then, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Quote from: viper37 on August 16, 2017, 04:05:24 PM
Episode 7 leaked.  By HBO  :P
http://www.break.com/article/game-of-thrones-season-7-episode-7-leaked-online-3123300

Episode 6 you mean. Nice intentional typo in the title as they write about episode 6 in the article. Bloody clickbait.

Josquius

Conspiracy hat on, I wonder if they are leaking episodes deliberately, knowing the show is heavily pirated anyway this can be a way to out those who watch in advance.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

There's no up side. They're already a dominant cultural phenomena, they don't need buzz. People fuck up. While popular if an episode of the Big Bang leaked no one would care. 

viper37

they should just do it the Netflix way: release the entire season at once.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

I don't think HBO needs advice from much of anyone on the best way to go about monetizing and marketing big budget drama shows.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: viper37 on August 17, 2017, 09:10:54 AM

I have to wonder if you even know what HBO's business model is.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on August 17, 2017, 07:34:58 AM
There's no up side. They're already a dominant cultural phenomena, they don't need buzz. People fuck up. While popular if an episode of the Big Bang leaked no one would care. 
I was thinking more in outing/revealing pirates.
██████
██████
██████

PRC

Quote from: Tyr on August 17, 2017, 12:18:56 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 17, 2017, 07:34:58 AM
I was thinking more in outing/revealing pirates.

The latest episode 6 leak was supposed to have come from the translator for the Spanish version of GoT.

viper37

Quote from: Habbaku on August 17, 2017, 10:57:59 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 17, 2017, 09:10:54 AM

I have to wonder if you even know what HBO's business model is.
Yes I know what it is, I'm just frustrated at traditional television.  They already have HBO Go in the US after all.