News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on August 15, 2017, 08:56:49 AM
The answer to the problem of "annulling the marriage will create chaos!" is not annul the marriage, not to do so in secret as if a secret annulment can ever be kept secret anyway.
Well, that's what I said.   The annulment does not really make sense, but once it's done, screaming about it will not help either, it might make things worst at this point.

I suppose from the High Septon's view, Rhaegar will prevail, and once the dust is settled, he will settle his affairs, and despite the annulment, might even recognize his children with Elya as legitimate and provide her with a comfortable retreat or even keep her as concubine.

I just don't think he imagines the loyalist camp losing to the rebel, and he wants to do a favor for his friend after he convinces him of his reason.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on August 15, 2017, 09:07:00 AM
Well, that's what I said.   The annulment does not really make sense, but once it's done, screaming about it will not help either, it might make things worst at this point.

Screaming about how it might make things worse doesn't equal an argument about how it would make things worse.  In fact, I don't see how it could make matters worse, other than Dorne not making the tiny contribution to the loyalist army that they eventually did make.   It would make a number of things better:
(1) Lords who had reservations about supporting the rebellion would have had more ammunition to avoid the rebel cause, since its basis was a falsehood.
(2) The Lannisters would have had no motive to murder Elia and her children, thus avoiding a great deal of future violence
(3) The issue of the rebellion would have devolved to the murders of the Starks.  That issue could be resolved by deposing the king and replacing him with Rhaegar, followed by a general amnesty.  None of the rebels was intending at the time to extinguish the Targaryn dynasty.

Clearly, secrecy served no one's interests except GRR Martin's.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Granting that it's very hard to take to take seriously a Wiki of a fictional story, the Battle of the Trident entry in "AWOAIF" lists the Dornish contingent at 10,000 of a total of 40,000, making it one of if not the largest elements of the loyalist force.  It also lists a Martell as the second most senior commander after Rhaegar.  That seems like a very material contribution, not tiny.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

One question left wondering.

If White Walkers can not cross the Wall, because of the magic, like Cold Hands, how are they going to cross the Wall with a captured one?  What will happen?  Will it act like some kind of anchor for the Night King to destroy the wall?  Or does he have that magical horn the Wildlings were searching for?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Habbaku

Quote from: viper37 on August 15, 2017, 01:21:48 PM

If White Walkers can not cross the Wall, because of the magic, like Cold Hands, how are they going to cross the Wall with a captured one?  What will happen?  Will it act like some kind of anchor for the Night King to destroy the wall?  Or does he have that magical horn the Wildlings were searching for?

I suspect this will be what brings the Wall down, yes. It strikes me as convenient, at least, and would help to give some plot punch behind the silly quest to go capture a wight.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

viper37

Quote from: Habbaku on August 15, 2017, 01:30:47 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 15, 2017, 01:21:48 PM

I suspect this will be what brings the Wall down, yes. It strikes me as convenient, at least, and would help to give some plot punch behind the silly quest to go capture a wight.
Something else, too, that I just read. Old Nan tells a story to Bran about the Last hero who went North with 12 companions, his dog and his horse, they died one by one, until his horse too and finally his dog...
If Tormund is strong as a horse and the Hound is a dog...

Habbaku

Certainly would be a way to sweep aside a lot of the cast. I have no doubts that Thoros and Beric are goners, along with the extra Wildlings that have been brought along as cannon fodder. Jon obviously has plot armor, and I think Tormund and the Hound make it, but I am rather skeptical they'd bring Gendry back just to off him an episode later.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

Yeah, it would be really dumb to bother bringing back Gendry like so just to kill him.

White walkers can't cross. Zombies can.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on August 15, 2017, 02:20:11 PM
along with the extra Wildlings that have been brought along as cannon fodder

Poor schmucks might as well be wearing red shirts.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on August 15, 2017, 02:26:28 PM
ah, I thought the same magic covered them both.

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 15, 2017, 01:11:04 PM
Granting that it's very hard to take to take seriously a Wiki of a fictional story, the Battle of the Trident entry in "AWOAIF" lists the Dornish contingent at 10,000 of a total of 40,000, making it one of if not the largest elements of the loyalist force.  It also lists a Martell as the second most senior commander after Rhaegar.  That seems like a very material contribution, not tiny.

Ten thousand men sent late from an entire kingdom is a tiny contribution.  Walder Frey has 4,000 men at the Twins, and that's even after some of his army takes the side of the Lannisters.  And he's hardly the most powerful lord in the Riverlands.

Yes, the Dornish made up a full quarter of the tattered remnants of an army that Rhaegar led to the Trident, but that's because of all the previous loyalist losses, not because Dorne sent so many men.  I cannot imagine that Rhaegar or the High Septon thought prolonging the war was an acceptable price for the tardy services of ten thousand Dornishmen.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on August 15, 2017, 02:05:56 PM
Something else, too, that I just read. Old Nan tells a story to Bran about the Last hero who went North with 12 companions, his dog and his horse, they died one by one, until his horse too and finally his dog...

Yep.  See post #8020.  :P

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on August 15, 2017, 02:26:28 PM
Yeah, it would be really dumb to bother bringing back Gendry like so just to kill him.

Yes.  We saw one that was on the south side of the wall when he attacked Jon and Lord Mormont.

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on August 15, 2017, 03:19:39 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 15, 2017, 02:05:56 PM

Yep.  See post #8020.  :P
sorry, I totally missed it.