News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Berkut on August 14, 2017, 01:00:03 PM
So the great Septorn not only married Rhaegar and Lyanna, he also *annulled* Rhaegar's marriage to Elia. On what grounds would that annulment be though?

Henry the 8th would like to have a word with you.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

Quote from: viper37 on August 14, 2017, 01:14:37 PM
So, Littlefinger manoeuvered around Arya to let her see the scroll.  Interesting to see how Aray will react.  Will she understand that her sister was coerced in writing this or will she get angry?

I think Arya doesn't do subtlety or understanding at all, she's always been one-track minded and I think that the obvious hostility she still feels for Sansa, which has been shown once again when Arya acuses her of "wanting to have all the nice things" and basically usurping the role of Lady of Winterfell and not caring what happens to Jon, will be furher incensed by the letter, which LF obviously wanted her to find.

Berkut

So High Septon Maynard annulled the marriage and married Rhaegar and Lyanna.

That means that Dayne and the other Kingsguard likely knew that Jon was the rightful heir (at that point, since the Mad King is dead, and Rhaegar and his children are dead).

I wonder if Ned knew that they were married?

Why did the High Septon keep the secret?

Why wouldn't Rhaegar announce the truth to the world while the war is raging?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on August 14, 2017, 02:16:49 PM

It would have infuriated Robert even more and probably caused Dorne to switch sides.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

1: Possibly. Even probably.

2: To prevent Jon/Lyanna being killed in the war's aftermath. Given that he granted the annulment, it is likely that he was close with Rhaegar.

3: The truth of his marriage to Lyanna? That would surely result in both her and his unborn heir being slain afterwards if they lost, which I'm assuming he was counting on at some point. In addition, publicly announcing the annulment in the middle of the war would certainly see Dorne defect or go neutral instead of aiding the Targaryens as they were.

Alternatively, insert prophecy excuse here.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

viper37

Not until Lyanna asked her to take Jon and protect him.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zanza

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

And only two living people knew about the birth, Ned and Howland (and bran now too), so the marriage status of a dead (apparently) heirless king wouldn't matter much, I don't think.

Habbaku

http://imgur.com/a/jbg1r#qViXG4u

Chrys Reviews does the Lord of Light's work again this season.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

viper37

Quote from: Habbaku on August 14, 2017, 03:00:54 PM

yeah, I felt the same watching the first scene.  How could he swim in full armor like that, for so long under water, from one shore to the other.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

PRC

Quote from: viper37 on August 14, 2017, 04:10:25 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on August 14, 2017, 03:00:54 PM

yeah, I felt the same watching the first scene.  How could he swim in full armor like that, for so long under water, from one shore to the other.

Lot's of fast travel / teleportation all over that episode, but that's nothing new for the series.

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on August 14, 2017, 12:36:28 PM
Quote from: Josephus on August 14, 2017, 11:36:41 AM
You don't want to cross her.
Really?  How did you get that?  Was it because of the very first time she had power, she burnt an entire city beginning with the guy who called her a bitch?

Subtle I know, but I picked up on it.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

So, Littlefinger manoeuvered around Arya to let her see the scroll.  Interesting to see how Aray will react.  Will she understand that her sister was coerced in writing this or will she get angry?

What did the scroll say?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Quote from: Josephus on August 14, 2017, 05:05:43 PM

What did the scroll say?

It's the letter Cersei forced Sansa to write to Robb at the end of season 1 telling him about Robert's death and Ned's capture, asking him to go to King's Landing and recognize Joffrey as king.