News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Apparently identified : actor playing Rhaegar Targaryan. Possibly in a wedding scene with Lyanna.
Jon is the rightful king!
██████
██████
██████

Solmyr

HVC

Typo aside, how does succession work? Rhaeger died before jon was born or the mad kind died, so Visyres was the rightful king? yes? So upon his death, who succeeds, his nephew, or his sister?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Berkut

So how does bigamy work then? How can Rhaegar be legally married to Lyanna?

In a medieval society hyper concerned about legitimacy, I don't see how nobles having multiple wives can possibly be a thing.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Jon has no real claim to the Throne but that's not why he's there. He's there to save the world from the Night King & ride Dragons.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Berkut on August 11, 2017, 10:55:55 AM

In a medieval society hyper concerned about legitimacy, I don't see how nobles having multiple wives can possibly be a thing.

The Targ's have practiced polygamy in the past, so if Rhaeger married Lyanna jon would be legitimate, I just don't know where on the succession hierarchy he'd sit.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on August 11, 2017, 10:55:55 AM

What the Eggplant said. The Targaryen dynasty broke a lot of rules that were traditional in Westerosi culture. Polygamy wasn't unknown.

Jon would sit on top of the hierarchy because he is male--that's what the first Dance of the Dragons "solved" anyway. It's entirely possible Dany and Jon will come to blows over the succession, but I don't see Jon as giving a damn about his rights compared to saving the kingdom. He is very much the sort to lay aside whatever claim he might have if it means peace.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

Historic example of Jons birth situation.
Well,  part of it anyway

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_I_of_France
██████
██████
██████

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Rex Francorum

Quote from: HVC on August 11, 2017, 10:27:44 AM
Typo aside, how does succession work? Rhaeger died before jon was born or the mad kind died, so Visyres was the rightful king? yes? So upon his death, who succeeds, his nephew, or his sister?

Well, it happened in France in 1316. Louis X died but his wife was pregnant. Louis' eldest brother Philippe became regent until birth of the child (John the first). The child died not long after his birth then Philippe became the king (Philippe V).

Edit: Doh, Tyr said it before me.
To rent

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 10, 2017, 07:47:25 AM
I still think it's not Bron who pushes Jaime.

It's Billy Bones.
Just paused it.  You can clearly tell it's Bronn.  While you don't see his face, you see his hair and his outfit which make it clear who it is.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

grumbler

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on August 11, 2017, 07:48:11 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 10, 2017, 07:47:25 AM
I still think it's not Bron who pushes Jaime.

It's Billy Bones.
Just paused it.  You can clearly tell it's Bronn.  While you don't see his face, you see his hair and his outfit which make it clear who it is.

Yeah, I'm not sure why GF is still pushing that idea.  It was Bron.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

How can you be so sure?

It might be Arya.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

I thought it was Littlefinger.  :huh:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HVC

It was Bronn's lesser known brother Nnorb