And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on August 08, 2017, 02:42:42 PM
FYI guys, it's a made-up world.
that's no excuse!  So are Star Trek and Star Wars, yet people are really fighting over that!  C'mon Languish!  We can do better than those nerds!    :ph34r:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Solmyr

Jaime's Worst Fear

Excellent point actually. Jaime sacrificed his honor to kill a mad king who wanted to burn everyone, and now he faced that king's daughter who burned everyone.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on August 08, 2017, 01:08:19 PM
I don't think it was strictly for visuals.  Arya wanted everyone to know she could take care of herself, she wasn't just that little girl who left King's Landing hiding from everyone 6 years ago.  What better way than the spar with real weapons against one of the toughest sword bearer of Westeros?  Practice swords would not have made the point.  This did.  You don't mess with Aria Arya.

You don't train with edged weapons because (1) it damages the weapons, and (2) it runs a very serious risk of someone getting hurt.  Blunting her epee (or whatever that is) with a small wooden ball, or using a blunt one if available, like the real people do it in the real world, would not have changed the impact of her demonstration at all.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Solmyr on August 08, 2017, 03:35:40 PM
Jaime's Worst Fear

Excellent point actually. Jaime sacrificed his honor to kill a mad king who wanted to burn everyone, and now he faced that king's daughter who burned everyone.

yeah Jamie's a pretty decent guy.  When he's not throwing little kids out windows to hide his incestuous adultery.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Jaime's Worst Fear

After leaving his sister who burned everyone.

I'm betting Euron burns somebody.  We know Jon wants to burn everyone, and he will get at least some of that wish fulfilled next season.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 08, 2017, 04:21:22 PM
Jaime's Worst Fear

yeah Jamie's a pretty decent guy.  When he's not throwing little kids out windows to hide his incestuous adultery.

Or threatening to throw an infant over the walls of Riverun as soon as it is born.  He's a sweetheart, except when it comes to the defenseless.

Bayraktar!

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on August 09, 2017, 03:03:19 AM
More suggestions of evil dany.
"did Ed sheeran die" :lol:

http://www.nme.com/news/tv/ed-sheeran-character-die-game-of-thrones-2122339

Quote...the Lannister army were desecrated at the hands of Daenerys and her dragons.

Timmay is writing for nme.com now?

Bayraktar!

viper37

I've rewatched the Bron-saves-Jamie sequence.  It seems plausible to could escape the dragon's fire relative unsacathed since they jumped into water almost immediatly while they were at the edges of the flames.  The water would have extinguished any fire left over the arms or legs.  They should still have minor burns though.  Had there been no water, they would have been well done.

For nitpickers, what is left to argue, is how fast can Bron get back to Jaimie and could he really achieve sufficient momentum to really clear both of them out of the fire's way
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

Quote from: viper37 on August 08, 2017, 01:08:19 PM
Quote from: grumbler on August 08, 2017, 08:36:58 AM
That had someone do something dumb, like spar with edged weapons or burn up supply trains, for the visuals. 
I don't think it was strictly for visuals.  Arya wanted everyone to know she could take care of herself, she wasn't just that little girl who left King's Landing hiding from everyone 6 years ago.  What better way than the spar with real weapons against one of the toughest sword bearer of Westeros?  Practice swords would not have made the point.  This did.  You don't mess with Aria Arya.

I think the issue is likely more that they would not have a suitable practice sword anyway. Arya uses a small foil, right?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

I still think it's not Bron who pushes Jaime.

It's Billy Bones.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

I'm assuming that Bron and Jamie fall in the river so they aren't captured.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2017, 08:17:05 AM
I'm assuming that Bron and Jamie fall in the river so they aren't captured.

Bronn will get captured so that there is a bronn Tyrion reunion... and then Dany will kill him for shooting her dragon.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.