News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on July 30, 2017, 10:04:44 PM
Yeah, sam's new surrogate dad was good. I also like euron. He's a weird amalgamation of the book greyjoy brothers, but the actor pulls it off. Especially when antagonizing Jaime. 

Pilou Asbæk is having too much fun with his script to make me believe that he is admirable in that role.   The writers obviously love him, which makes me, at best, ambivalent.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

The Sand Snakes are dead!  Hooray!  I was kind of curious how Lady Olenna got back to Highgarden so fast. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on July 24, 2017, 11:10:43 AM
whole "thousand ship fleet" bit by Euron is absurd, of course.  That was discussed with here before the season started.  The conclusion was that ships are built at the speed the plot requires.
you are taking things too literally.  He didn't mean "buid me 1000 ships, not one less", he meant "build me a lot of ships".  He might have 400-500 ships and judged it was enough.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 30, 2017, 09:58:00 PM
Sailing the Unsullied all the way round Westeros while Euron was at large is pretty pinheaded.
they didn't know of Euron before the Unsullied were sent away, along with the fleet to gather the Dornish soldiers.

It is certainly a failure of their spymaster to not know about Euron.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

I'm kinda wondering what the point of following Sam around is.  I figured he would be the guy who met and treated Jorah, but we got that out of the way pretty quickly. His father seems to be moving up in the world, so maybe we going somewhere with that.

It was kind of alluded to that Sam's boss (the guy Broadbent plays) was writing the history of the War.  I wonder if that's suppose to be Sam's ultimate fate.  Didn't Samwise Gamgee (who Samwell Tarly is named after) finish the history of the Lord of the Rings?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on July 31, 2017, 12:16:54 AM
I'm kinda wondering what the point of following Sam around is.  I figured he would be the guy who met and treated Jorah, but we got that out of the way pretty quickly. His father seems to be moving up in the world, so maybe we going somewhere with that.

It was kind of alluded to that Sam's boss (the guy Broadbent plays) was writing the history of the War.  I wonder if that's suppose to be Sam's ultimate fate.  Didn't Samwise Gamgee (who Samwell Tarly is named after) finish the history of the Lord of the Rings?

Seems pretty obvious to me that he's going to rediscover the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch that will smite the white walkers.

The leper cells made zero sense.  They lock them up in order to tell them there's no cure and that they have to leave.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 31, 2017, 12:57:22 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 31, 2017, 12:16:54 AM

Seems pretty obvious to me that he's going to rediscover the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch that will smite the white walkers.

The leper cells made zero sense.  They lock them up in order to tell them there's no cure and that they have to leave.

I dunno. Kind of makes sense for me. Spread the word amongst the population that if you catch this disease you just have to report to a maester and he'll send you to Oldtown to be cured....
Once there they lock you up and then when there's a ship available send the sufferers away to Valyria.

The part that doesn't make sense is having these ships making runs to Valyria. A land halfway around the world which is supposed to be a utterly cursed land of no return where few dare tread and fewer return. Surely they could find a more convenient place for a leper colony.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

I liked the scene with the Dorne girls for once, used as an instrument for Cersei's revenge rather than for their own story. Lena Headey is playing the shit out of this evil queen.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Berkut

Whoever does her wardrobe needs to take it down a notch or two though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

HVC

They're trying to lady Macbeth her up. It's a shame though, that with all the great actors, both regular and guest, that Emilia Clark is so bad.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Liep

Quote from: HVC on July 31, 2017, 07:25:35 AM
They're trying to lady Macbeth her up. It's a shame though, that with all the great actors, both regular and guest, that Emilia Clark is so bad.

That Bran actor doesn't really hold up either.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

HVC

yeah, child actors are hit or miss. sometimes they grown into it, and sometimes they don't. He didn't. 

His new zoned out character is off putting too (and not just because of the rape reminder), but I don't know how much of it is the actor, and how much the character.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Berkut

I am not sure what the point of creepy Bran pointing out to Sansa that he watched her get raped was...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on July 30, 2017, 10:15:36 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 30, 2017, 10:04:44 PM
Yeah, sam's new surrogate dad was good. I also like euron. He's a weird amalgamation of the book greyjoy brothers, but the actor pulls it off. Especially when antagonizing Jaime. 

Pilou Asbæk is having too much fun with his script to make me believe that he is admirable in that role.   The writers obviously love him, which makes me, at best, ambivalent.

He's just filling the Ramsey Bolton-vacated role of over-the-top psycho bad guy,
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

Quote from: Berkut on July 31, 2017, 09:10:35 AM
I am not sure what the point of creepy Bran pointing out to Sansa that he watched her get raped was...
Yes, that was strange. They could have used just about any other scene.
And him being all-knowing somehow would mean he knows about Arya as well...