News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

The face that a Faceless Man takes does not have to be from a dead person.  Jaqen H'ghar took on Arya's face while she was alive.

Interesting tidbit:  when Arya was wandering around Bravos in the hours leading up to the stabbing, she was right-handed.  "Real" Arya is left-handed.  When they filmed that scene (and the stabbing), that was probably supposed to be Jaqen testing the waif, not Arya at all, but then they changed it in post-production.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on July 17, 2017, 12:27:48 PM
Quote from: Josephus on July 17, 2017, 12:13:07 PM
I'm not sure I quite understand how Arya does what she does. I though at first she stole some faces from the place she was at; but I guess not. So now she carries around a universal face mask that can become who she wants?
Minor spoiler, from last year's finale:
[spoiler]
she took Walder Frey's face after killing him last season, presumably.
[/spoiler]

Can she do that? :huh: I guess
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on July 17, 2017, 12:38:42 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 17, 2017, 12:27:48 PM
Quote from: Josephus on July 17, 2017, 12:13:07 PM
I'm not sure I quite understand how Arya does what she does. I though at first she stole some faces from the place she was at; but I guess not. So now she carries around a universal face mask that can become who she wants?
Minor spoiler, from last year's finale:
[spoiler]
she took Walder Frey's face after killing him last season, presumably.
[/spoiler]

They're unclear on the face stealing. Aria has something physical on her face (presumably someone else face), but when we got three deaths/wishes way back that guy (jaquin?) had a magic face change. Could be she hasn't been trained in the magic face changing.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zanza

Solid set up of the new season setting the figures onto the board.

[spoiler]The person that grabbed for Sam in the Citadel prison (?) looked a bit like Jorah Mormont. Not sure if we ever saw what happened to him (Danearys sent him away, no?). Or it could have been one of the White Walker zombies...

Jaime asks Cersei a good question - who are their allies? With the massive fleet that Danearys has, she should be able to easily crush Cersei's troops. The Ironborn can't be that numerous or else it doesn't make too much sense.

Euron somehow was strange too. What does he see in Cersei?[/spoiler]

Berkut

This is a spolier thread, I believe. The tags are not necessary. The presumption is that anyone reading is caught up.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on July 17, 2017, 12:38:42 PM
the others who serve the faceless God can do it.  Presumably, she can too.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

allright, if someone is mad, I'll refer them to Berkut :P

Quote from: Zanza on July 17, 2017, 01:23:43 PM
The person that grabbed for Sam in the Citadel prison (?) looked a bit like Jorah Mormont. Not sure if we ever saw what happened to him (Danearys sent him away, no?). Or it could have been one of the White Walker zombies...
Yes, that was him.  White Walker zombies don't talk.

The Ironborn can't be that numerous or else it doesn't make too much sense.
well, originally, that fleet was the Ironborn.  And Euron did ask for 1000 ships.

What does he see in Cersei?
The romantic version?  The most beautiful queen of all
The pragmatic verion? Power.  Daenerys will not marry him, now that his nephew and niece have given her the fleet she needed.  She doesn't need Ironborn troops, she has the Southerners and the Tyrells for sure, maybe a few other will also join, on top of her Unsullied.

He can not conquer Westeros, unlike his brother, he knows his limits.  He does not have the manpower to hold on every castle in Westeros alone.

If he wants to be a King, he if wants to deliver on his promises to the Iron Born, he needs allies.  The North will not join him, the South will not join him, so he aims for the middle.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on July 17, 2017, 02:07:24 PM

Yes, that was him.  White Walker zombies don't talk.

And his voice was quite recognizable.

Quotewell, originally, that fleet was the Ironborn.  And Euron did ask for 1000 ships.

Yeah, that's one of those WTF bits; where are the ironborn going to find enough seasoned timber for 1,000 ships?  Even if they used unseasoned timber (just needing the ships for a year) there's no way they could have summoned the man-hours needed to build one thousand ships.

QuoteThe romantic version?  The most beautiful queen of all
The pragmatic verion? Power.  Daenerys will not marry him, now that his nephew and niece have given her the fleet she needed.  She doesn't need Ironborn troops, she has the Southerners and the Tyrells for sure, maybe a few other will also join, on top of her Unsullied.

He can not conquer Westeros, unlike his brother, he knows his limits.  He does not have the manpower to hold on every castle in Westeros alone.

If he wants to be a King, he if wants to deliver on his promises to the Iron Born, he needs allies.  The North will not join him, the South will not join him, so he aims for the middle.

Agreed.  He's thinking to make himself king by marrying a queen (and then probably offing her!).  He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but the writers sure are having fun with his dialog.

Jamie is about to attack and conquer Highgarden, based on the promo clips.  Then it looks like Dani and the Dothraki are then going to crush his army and, probably, capture him.

I see Jamie as the future leader of the armies of Westeros against the undead.  They've sort of set it up that Jon isn't great shakes as a military commander.  Jamie might end up on the throne at the end.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Larch

Re: The feasibility of a 1000 ship Greyjoy fleet.

The Iron Islands are a ludicrous place that shouldn't be able to sustain a sizeable population, let alone a mighty reaving fleet. The less said about them, the better.

Pet peeve of mine, sorry to interrupt.

Decent episode. Felt a bit rushed to get people together but they don't really have the time to dither around, so off they go.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on July 17, 2017, 02:22:31 PM
Yeah, that's one of those WTF bits; where are the ironborn going to find enough seasoned timber for 1,000 ships?  Even if they used unseasoned timber (just needing the ships for a year) there's no way they could have summoned the man-hours needed to build one thousand ships.
Well, we don't know he has 1000 ships.  Did you count them all? :P
Presumably, he has a few hundred ships, wich could be realistic for... what, 6-8 months time maybe since they stole his ships?  It's not like he losts all his ships either.  they might have stolen a few too. They might have been in the process of building/rebuilding a fleet too, we don't really know.

But yeah, it's a little weird.  That's why the predictable scenes with Arya and Daenerys were necessary, from a viewer's point of view.

Jamie is about to attack and conquer Highgarden, based on the promo clips.  Then it looks like Dani and the Dothraki are then going to crush his army and, probably, capture him.
Haven't seen the promo :)  I look forward to this :)

I see Jamie as the future leader of the armies of Westeros against the undead.  They've sort of set it up that Jon isn't great shakes as a military commander.  Jamie might end up on the throne at the end.
Could be cool, but I have doubts this is what is in stores for them.  I do think, like many, that Jaimie will end up killing his sister before she burns King's Landing, but I think he will likely commit suicide afterward.

viper37

Quote from: The Larch on July 17, 2017, 03:57:11 PM
Re: The feasibility of a 1000 ship Greyjoy fleet.

The Iron Islands are a ludicrous place that shouldn't be able to sustain a sizeable population, let alone a mighty reaving fleet. The less said about them, the better.

Pet peeve of mine, sorry to interrupt.

Decent episode. Felt a bit rushed to get people together but they don't really have the time to dither around, so off they go.
I really don't think "1000 ships" should be taken too literally.  And I don't know enough about the Iron Island's geography, I can't remember much, so it's likely just a few big warships with a lot of converted merchant ships.

celedhring

The prisoner in the Citadel it's clearly Jorah Mormont.

I was also a bit miffed about Arya's poisoning scene. It felt like shock value for the sake of shock value, since the more you think about how she was able to carry it out the less sense it makes.

The rest was fine, just setting everything up.

HVC

Arya killing them off was to replace lady stoneheart doing it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

viper37

Quote from: HVC on July 17, 2017, 05:02:30 PM
Arya killing them off was to replace lady stoneheart doing it.
it would have been bloodier had it been Lady Stoneheart.  I don't think she would have settled for poison.  Would have costed a fortune in special effects :P

HVC

She's not a evil half zombie either :P