News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Cat Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 02, 2011, 06:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Aphrodite, the Goddess Cat, is near the end of her time among mortals.

She was a rescue cat, who someone dumped in spring in Laramie - likely when they were leaving town.  She spent some time alone hiding in a garage, and when the shelter found her she was starving.  Still, when we first met she was loving and happy to just be held and scratched, though the starving time meant she was thereafter always a first class trencherman.

Aphrodite was an indoor cat, by choice of her and mine.  Outdoor cats do not do as well, especially in Laramie, and Aphrodite never had any desire to explore beyond her realm.  Perhaps it was her habit of sleeping 16 hours a day (mixed in with 3 hours or so of naps) that allowed her to keep from going crazy, perhaps it was that nothing seemed to be better for her than a warm lap to lie in an purr.

She stayed with me through the breakup, choosing her kingdom over new vistas.  She made sure that I was not alone during the darkest of times.  Say what you will about cats, but Aphrodite knew when I was hurting and was always there, another to share my misery during that period.  She may have let her goddess-crown slip some then, but she became the most important part of my life.

Recently, she has been losing weight.  The doctor says it is renal failure and cancer - perhaps linked.  She has had more trouble eating, and in the past week it is more severe.  Too skinny now, and weaker, her end is near - maybe a week or two at the most.  I alone will have to make the decision as to when she will sleep for good, and that is perhaps the hardest thing I have ever done.

She will be missed.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Brazen

Quote from: Martinus on August 23, 2014, 08:23:57 AM
I think today is going to be the long-overdue Bath & Brush Day.  :ph34r:
No need to bathe cats, especially indoor cats. And if you like having eyes and skin.  I thoroughly recommend the Furminator, though.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/FURminator-Long-Hair-DeShedding-Large/dp/B004WJ0L3Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412778827&sr=8-1&keywords=cat+brush+furminator

Rufus is looking GORGEOUS, BTW!

Brazen

Quote from: PDH on October 08, 2014, 07:46:47 AM
Aphrodite, the Goddess Cat, is near the end of her time among mortals.
So sorry Peedy :console:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

sbr

Martinus

I'm so sorry to hear that, PDH. :console:

CountDeMoney

Your karma is permanently boosted, PDH, as are all of those who take stray and abandoned animals into their homes.  I am sure Aphrodite is grateful for everything you've given her in her last years.

PDH

R.I.P. Aphrodite.  I held her at the end, perhaps the hardest thing I have ever done.

She was a good cat in this world.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

sbr

mongers

I'm sorry PDH, hang in there; they don't really ever leave you.  :console:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

She was a good cat :(  RIP Aphrodite

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: PDH on October 10, 2014, 06:51:30 PM
R.I.P. Aphrodite.  I held her at the end, perhaps the hardest thing I have ever done.

She was a good cat in this world.

:console:

CountDeMoney

GangstaKitty has a doctor appointment for Friday AM.  Seems to have lost quite a bit of weight recently, looks terribly gaunt in the hindquarters and her neck.  Still eating, drinking and treating her litterbox like Languish, but just doesn't look well.  Worried.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2014, 02:01:31 PM
GangstaKitty has a doctor appointment for Friday AM.  Seems to have lost quite a bit of weight recently, looks terribly gaunt in the hindquarters and her neck.  Still eating, drinking and treating her litterbox like Languish, but just doesn't look well.  Worried.

:(

Hang in there, the both of you.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

Geez, I hope it is not bad, but that sounds like what I went through with Aphrodite.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM