China white paper highlights US military 'competition'

Started by jimmy olsen, April 01, 2011, 10:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

We need some kind of ChiCom smile.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12917338
QuoteChina white paper highlights US military 'competition'
By Michael Bristow BBC News, Beijing 

China says the United States is increasing its military presence in the Asia-Pacific region, which is becoming more "volatile".

It also says there has been a rise in operations directed against China.

The views were made in China's National Defence white paper, issued by the government.

The paper outlines the country's current views on security issues and gives an overview of its military forces.

Fierce competition

In the document, released on Thursday, China gives a downbeat assessment of the regional security situation.

"Profound changes are taking shape in the Asia-Pacific strategic landscape. Relevant major powers are increasing their strategic investment," it says.

"International military competition remains fierce."

The document singles out the United States. According to China, it is reinforcing military alliances and getting more involved in regional affairs.

Beijing also says foreigners are now more suspicious of China - and have increased "interference and countering moves" against it.

Relations between China and the United States, particularly on military matters, have been strained over recent years.

That tension eased slightly following Chinese President Hu Jintao's state visit to the United States earlier this year.

But the potential for disagreement remains high.

"We admit that our military ties continue to face difficulties and challenges," said Col Geng Yansheng, spokesman for the Ministry of Defence, at a press conference to launch the white paper.

No issue threatens the relationship more than US support for Taiwan, a self-governing island off China's eastern coast that Beijing considers its own.

"The United States continues to sell weapons to Taiwan, severely impeding Sino-US relations," says the white paper.

Col Geng made it clear that the two countries must respect each other's core interests. For China, that includes Taiwan.

"China is willing to work with the US, based on respect, trust, equality and mutual benefits," he said.

The United States and some of China's neighbours occasionally express their concerns about the ultimate aim of Beijing's military modernisation.

But the white paper reiterates that no one has anything to fear.

It says China's armed forced, known as the People's Liberation Army, are there purely to defend the country.

China, it says, has a strategy of "attacking only after being attacked".
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

QuoteBeijing also says foreigners are now more suspicious of China - and have increased "interference and countering moves" against it.

Gee, I wonder why?
Are the Chinese really surprised that their bullying and superiority complex towards their neighbors drives them away from China and into the arms of the US?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

grumbler

When the Chinese invaded US territory (the EP-3 that was forced to land on Hainan Island after a crazed Chinese fighter pilot rammed it and crippled it) that pretty much ended any pretense that the PRiCk government is anything but an enemy of the US.  I will grant that the Chinese people are not hostile, but that government has to go, Mubarak-style.  I'd prefer Ceaușescu-style but will live with Mubarak-style.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HisMajestyBOB

Unfortunately the people are extremely nationalistic, and while they might not be particularly hostile to the US, they certainly will be to US allies and interests. It could be like trading Mubarak for Mullah Omar.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

grumbler

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 02, 2011, 01:01:46 AM
Unfortunately the people are extremely nationalistic, and while they might not be particularly hostile to the US, they certainly will be to US allies and interests. It could be like trading Mubarak for Mullah Omar.
I don't agree.  Having spent some time in HK, having been to school with a number of Chinese, and having taught a number of them, I have not found them to be more nationalistic than Americans (who are more nationalistic than the global average, but still short of "extremely nationalistic").  I offer no guarantees that my experience is representative, but I think history shows that there is a wide disconnect between the people of China and their government.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

How many guys in one of those things? 5? So basically you're showing a pic where people support the government 20-1. Was there a point in there you were trying to make? In that case consider it shot down in flames.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 01, 2011, 10:49:57 PM
QuoteBeijing also says foreigners are now more suspicious of China - and have increased "interference and countering moves" against it.

Gee, I wonder why?
Are the Chinese really surprised that their bullying and superiority complex towards their neighbors drives them away from China and into the arms of the US?

Which neighbours of China have been bullied by it?

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Brazen

I thought this was going to be a paper on China White, the celeb night club.

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on April 02, 2011, 02:36:48 AM
Which neighbours of China have been bullied by it?
History aside in more recent times they're being dicks towards Japan, Vietnam and the Phillipines over 'disputed' (to varying degrees) islands.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on April 02, 2011, 12:53:25 AM
When the Chinese invaded US territory (the EP-3 that was forced to land on Hainan Island after a crazed Chinese fighter pilot rammed it and crippled it) that pretty much ended any pretense that the PRiCk government is anything but an enemy of the US.  I will grant that the Chinese people are not hostile, but that government has to go, Mubarak-style.  I'd prefer Ceaușescu-style but will live with Mubarak-style.

I would prefer Goldwater-style.  They still use liquid fuel for their ICBMs that take 24 hours to ready for launch.  All I need is a single SSBN for a pre-emptive strike.

But you're former Navy.  Please explain to me why that EP-3 pilot was not courtmartialed for not splashing the plane.

"Oh no, we're in trouble...I guess we'll just have to LAND IN THE COUNTRY WE'RE SPYING ON WITH ALL THIS LEET SURVEILLANCE GEAR AND UP TO DATE CRYPTO CODES"

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 02, 2011, 07:30:58 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 02, 2011, 07:07:42 AM
At least he splashed a Mig.

They splash themselves, so that's no big deal.
You are implying that Maverick and Iceman didn't have to work for their spurs?
PDH!

Camerus

Quote from: grumbler on April 02, 2011, 01:24:11 AM
I don't agree.  Having spent some time in HK, having been to school with a number of Chinese, and having taught a number of them, I have not found them to be more nationalistic than Americans (who are more nationalistic than the global average, but still short of "extremely nationalistic").  I offer no guarantees that my experience is representative, but I think history shows that there is a wide disconnect between the people of China and their government.

I disagree.  The HK mentality is generally much different from that of the mainland - and even those mainland Chinese who go abroad tend to be among the most open minded and liberal of Chinese (whether initially or by virtue of living overseas).

If anything, there is a *significant* segment of the Chinese population that is far more nationalistic and aggressive than the PRC government.  Many of these types are fueled by a massive victim and inferiority complex, intense national pride and desire to "make China strong and respected".  These people frequently tend to believe the most ridiculous things.  And what is worrisome in China today is that, generally speaking, the younger people are, the more fiercely jingoistic they tend to be.