How Easy Is It To Reverse Engineer Atomic Bombs

Started by jimmy olsen, March 31, 2011, 06:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

This can't possibly be true can it?  :yeahright:

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-03-30/tech/vbs.atomic.trucker_1_truck-driver-nuclear-power-atom-bombs?_s=PM:TECH

QuoteFormer truck driver deciphers top secrets of first atomic bombs

March 30, 2011|By Alex Pasternack, Motherboard editor

Two decades after helping to design the first atomic bomb, Robert Oppenheimer, director of the Manhattan Project, was asked to describe how he felt after the bomb's first test. "If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky," he quoted from the Hindu scripture, Bhagavad Gita, "that would be like the splendor of the mighty one. Now I am become Death, destroyer of worlds."

When bombs that he helped design were unleashed over two cities in Japan in August 1945, they detonated at temperatures 10,000 times hotter than the surface of the sun. So began the Atomic Age, a period that would blow apart our ideas about warfare and technology, send the Americans and Russians into a perpetual state of fear, and set the world on a course of nuclear power, the unintended effects of which are being felt once again in Japan.

While the Fukushima disaster reawakens global concerns over nuclear power, the separate but related threat of nuclear weapons has been mostly lost in the shuffle. Political treaties and protected weapons caches aside, there is no telling what North Korea and Iran might do with their atomic caches -- or what a terrorist could do with the right ingredients and know-how.

A lot, says John Coster-Mullen. A former truck driver with no college education, Coster-Mullen taught himself how to build an A-bomb. "The secret of the atomic bomb," he says, "is how easy they are to make."

Last year, Motherboard visited Coster-Mullen to talk with him about his life project: reverse engineering the atomic bombs America dropped on Japan. His findings are available in a book he continuously updates and publishes himself called "Atom Bombs: The Top Secret Inside Story of Little Boy and Fat Man," which has received rave reviews from the National Resource Defense Council: "Nothing else in the Manhattan Project literature comes close to his exacting breakdown of the bomb's parts."

After years of research into the bomb's classified plans, Coster-Mullen has been able to create an intensely technical history of the atomic bomb, centered around a detailed explanation of how the bombs were built, including exact dimensions and configurations, inside and out. For almost 10 years, Coster-Mullen painstakingly analyzed photographs and interviewed more than 150 scientists, engineers and others involved in their development. The result is an unprecedented and highly accurate recreation of the bomb on paper, both in its mechanics and history.

Certainly Coster-Mullen's ambitious project is a neat example of the ingenuity that led America to be the first to develop the atomic bomb. But it's also a stark reminder that our most powerful technologies can end up being reworked and used in other ways, by people much less friendly than truck drivers with lots of time on their hands.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

The basic idea is simple enough.  The technical expertise to build one is something else.  You need great force and precise timing to properly fission your fuel.  Otherwise, you end up with an explosion that, while significant in conventional terms, is much less than what you would expect from an atomic weapon.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HisMajestyBOB

The science is pretty well-known.
I have a book on the Manhattan Project that goes into detail on how they made them.
The tricky parts are the incredibly fine engineering involved in order to get it to work like you want it to. Otherwise you just get a radioactive dud.

EDIT: Also, it's pretty impossible to reverse-engineer atomic bombs after they've been used. :P
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Josquius

Aye. But that still doesn't stop the irrational fear of nukes people have.
██████
██████
██████

Viking

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 31, 2011, 06:25:54 PM
The science is pretty well-known.
I have a book on the Manhattan Project that goes into detail on how they made them.
The tricky parts are the incredibly fine engineering involved in order to get it to work like you want it to. Otherwise you just get a radioactive dud.

EDIT: Also, it's pretty impossible to reverse-engineer atomic bombs after they've been used. :P

iirc the the hardest part in making the uranium bomb was building the initiating explosive charge and the hardest part in making the plutonium bomb was getting the neutron source to start firing at a precise enough time to be sure the bomb didn't hit the ground before going off (allowing the nips to reverse engineer it).
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Quote from: Viking on March 31, 2011, 06:34:57 PM
iirc the the hardest part in making the uranium bomb was building the initiating explosive charge and the hardest part in making the plutonium bomb was getting the neutron source to start firing at a precise enough time to be sure the bomb didn't hit the ground before going off (allowing the nips to reverse engineer it).
I'm not sure I buy that regarding Fat Man.  I'd be more worried about a slight variance in the pressure on the plutonium then a delay with the neutron source.  They'd already tested the implosion-type anyways, with the Trinity test.

I'm not sure how useful a fizzled bomb would be to the Japanese anyways.  Even if they had the scientific resources to reverse engineer it, a fizzle would still blow the bomb apart.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I imagine the hardest part is actually getting the materials.  You can create a "gun" type bomb, much easier then the typical implosion type.  While I doubt any one person could build it, I suspect a major American university could pull it off.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on March 31, 2011, 07:31:53 PM
I imagine the hardest part is actually getting the materials.  You can create a "gun" type bomb, much easier then the typical implosion type.  While I doubt any one person could build it, I suspect a major American university could pull it off.

Except Arizona State. They would try to turn it into a bong.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

I've never considered truck drivers to be quite friendly.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

In support of garbon's comment, I considered becoming a truck driver for a time. Then I took a trip in my car and realized I fucking hated long road trips.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Fireblade

Quote from: Razgovory on March 31, 2011, 07:31:53 PM

I nodded sagely, then giggled imagining my university trying to build a nuke. It would be disaster of EPIC proportions, not least because we don't have any sort of engineering program. The most technical thing anyone at this place would be able to build out of nuclear bomb parts is some sort of fucked up centrifuge-powered drug machine.

The Brain

Little Boy was so simple that they didn't bother to test it before using it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Slargos

Quote from: Tyr on March 31, 2011, 06:27:08 PM
Aye. But that still doesn't stop the irrational fear of nukes people have.

Ah, yes. The fear of nuclear weapons is entirely irrational. In fact, we have nothing to fear from them.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?