Details emerge of brutal attack of gay man outside McDonald's

Started by garbon, March 31, 2011, 12:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2011/03/30/2011-03-30_damian_furtch_victim_of_manhattan_gaybias_attack_says_its_part_of_larger_problem.html

QuoteThe victim of a gay-bias attack in the West Village spoke out Wednesday about growing violence against members of his community.

Damian Furtch, 26, was pummeled early Sunday by two suspects shouting anti-gay epithets, police said.

The beating was the third bias attack in the neighborhood since October.

"The attack against me is part of the larger issue of violence against gay and transgender people in New York City," Furtch said in a statement.

"This has to stop. Under no circumstance should a person be attacked for their sexual orientation."

City leaders were also outraged over the hate crime. "We are sickened by this hateful attack on our streets and will not stand for it," said City Council Speaker Christine Quinn (D-Manhattan), who handed out flyers condemning the assault.

Furtch said a group of men first harassed him and a friend about their bright-colored clothing while they ordered food at the McDonald's at W. Third St. and Sixth Ave.

"I stepped outside . . . in an effort to avoid the tension in the restaurant," Furtch said.

But two of the men - believed to be between 18 and 20 years old, one with a tattoo of a cross under his left eye - followed Furtch to the sidewalk and set upon him, police said.

The crime comes months after two similar attacks.

In October, Frederick Giunta was busted for beating a bartender inside Julius Bar on W. 10th St.

Days earlier, Matthew Francis, 21, allegedly shouted homophobic slurs and assaulted a man in the Stonewall Inn.

Police ask anyone with information on the most recent attack to call the Crime Stoppers hotline, (800) 577-TIPS.

Lesson learned: stick to partying in Chelsea and the East Vil. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

I hate seeing this kind of thing. What's the matter with people anyway? Beating up someone like this.    :(

derspiess

Harassing them over their choice in clothes?  Are we sure the perps weren't themselves gay fashionistas?  :yeahright:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Slargos

If he's speaking out, I'm questioning the brutality of the attack.  :hmm:

Martinus

Slargos

So he got told at least once; I'm still questioning the brutality.

Is it called brutality because it was done to a faggot? The hate-crime factor also increases the language level employed to describe the crime?

Maybe if he hadn't tackled the dudes, they wouldn't have kicked the shit out of him.

CountDeMoney

Yay, a whole weekend of Languish cocknibbler indignation to look forward to.

Neil

It's hard to get indignant over petty crime.

Then again, if this happens to Martinus, it's funny.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on March 31, 2011, 12:54:41 PM
Lesson learned: stick to partying in Chelsea and the East Vil. -_-

What if you have to travel from one to the other?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

The gay agenda strikes again! :mad:

QuoteDamian Furtch, 26, was allegedlypummeled early Sunday by two suspects allegedlyshouting anti-gay epithets, police said.

It could be just a terrible misunderstanding
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on April 03, 2011, 11:14:35 PM
The gay agenda strikes again! :mad:

QuoteDamian Furtch, 26, was allegedlypummeled early Sunday by two suspects allegedlyshouting anti-gay epithets, police said.

It could be just a terrible misunderstanding

The homeless man who attacked him said that he's gay too.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

garbon

Quote from: Siege on April 04, 2011, 11:14:35 AM
So, it was a fagfight?

Looks likely. Also, I like how the same new source, now that the hate crime aspect is being questioned, is pointing out that the "victim" is 6'4".

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017