Cloud Girlfriend

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 30, 2011, 06:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

No girlfriend? To the cloud!

http://www.cnbc.com/id/42337429/

No Girlfriend? No Problem!
Published: Wednesday, 30 Mar 2011 | 9:35 AM ET

We learned about "Facebook Depression" this week, when teenagers obsess about the social networking site. Kids start to feel lousy when everyone else appears to be having a blast.

Here's something potentially even sadder.

A new website called Cloud Girlfriend promises to help you create a fantasy girl for your Facebook account so you can fool everyone into thinking you have a girlfriend. At least that's what it hopes to do. The site hasn't launched yet. Once it does, those who sign up can "define the perfect girlfriend". Cloud Girlfriend will then "create" her. After that, you can "connect and interact with her publicly" on social networking sites, and "enjoy a public long distance relationship with your perfect girl."

I guess it's less pathetic than an inflatable doll.

IT World calls Cloud Girlfriend, "The saddest Facebook Startup of all", suggesting if the fake girlfriends are merely computer generated accounts, it would violate Facebook's user agreement.

AOL quotes Technology Review's Christopher Mims who actually thinks the idea has merit. "Some startups don't make it past the phase where they build a mailing list of users for their service, and if Cloud Girlfriend isn't one of them, I will gladly eat my hat."

But Mashable's Brenna Ehrlich (ah, a girl!) says the idea may backfire on men who hope a fake girlfriend online will help attract actual women. "You know what gets the online ladies going? Well, when some other lady is writing all over your Facebook wall."

At the moment, all you can do at Cloud Girlfriend is submit your email address and hope to part of the early "limited" launch. I went ahead and submitted my email address--not that I'm looking to create a girlfriend (really). I just wanted to see what would happen. Well, after I submitted my name, I was advised I could improve my chances of being accepted if I forwarded an invitation to join to seven other people.

Hmmmm...

But, what the heck? Why shouldn't a man create a pretend girlfriend and create love online? In the real world, women distort themselves with silicone, Restalyne, lipo, and Booty Pops. Sounds pretty unreal already.

http://cloudgirlfriend.com/
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

For those who are so ronery?
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 30, 2011, 06:05:30 PM
http://cloudgirlfriend.com/

QuoteDue to high demand we are only able to accommodate a limited number of users to the site. Register early to get in line.

Best idea to hit the internet since AOL chat rooms.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 30, 2011, 08:09:46 PM

QuoteDue to high demand we are only able to accommodate a limited number of users to the site. Register early to get in line.

So basically people are going to get rejected by cloud girlfriends.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Brazen

So has me posting to your Facebook walls helped any of you score?

garbon

Quote from: Brazen on March 31, 2011, 07:12:12 AM
So has me posting to your Facebook walls helped any of you score?

N/A :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Hehe... this is so funny. But I guess it avoids the problems and risks of a real relationship.    ;)