And we're back!

Main Menu

Caliga Travel Alert!

Started by citizen k, March 31, 2011, 01:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

QuoteRaccoon meat at South Carolina store must go, officials say
By Harriet McLeod

CHARLESTON, South Carolina (Reuters) – Looking for raccoon meat? You won't find it at a country convenience store in South Carolina after state health inspectors told employees to throw out their supply.

Tipped off by a complaint, inspectors recently found the cleaned raccoon meat in plastic bags inside one of the store's coolers, along with bagged ice.

"In my 28 years with the agency, it's the first time I've heard of this," Thom Berry, spokesman for the state Department of Health and Environmental Control, said on Wednesday.

"My inspectors, they see all kinds of things, but this is something new even to them."

The Lucky 7 store -- located in Gadsden, near the state capital of Columbia -- removed the meat upon request, Berry said. But when inspectors went back several days later, they found it outside the building near some trash.

"We instructed the employees to bag it, pour bleach on it, tie it up and put it in the Dumpster," Berry said.

No law bans the sale of raccoon meat in South Carolina, but state and federal officials do not certify it as being safe for human consumption.

"It's kind of like squirrel," said Brett Witt, spokesman for the state Department of Natural Resources. "People do eat it. It's kind of on the lower end of animals. It's not as popular as deer or rabbit. There is a danger of ingesting any wild animal without proper preparation."

The Brain

What was the problem again?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Princesca's grandfather once proclaimed coon meat "damn good". :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on March 31, 2011, 11:38:46 AM

We can only hope he meant "raccoon" by that comment.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on March 31, 2011, 11:54:20 AM
Quote from: Caliga on March 31, 2011, 11:38:46 AM

We can only hope he meant "raccoon" by that comment.  :hmm:

Her grandmother OTOH...
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

I'm sure Cal has plenty of raccoons out behind his house he could shoot & have one of his in-laws cook up for him.

My grandma made some kind of squirrel stew from squirrels my brother & I hunted, but I couldn't bring myself to try it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Actually I don't see raccoons that often at my house for some reason... :unsure:

Possums, yes.  Deer, yes.  Wild cats, hell yes :bleeding:. Rabbits, fuck yeah.  Coyotes, once or twice.  But raccoons... not so much. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

I ate racoon once at a shooting club game dinner. Not bad. It was a while ago, but I think the closest to it would be a bit like beef.