Main Menu

Who's the best President we never had?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 31, 2011, 02:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on April 01, 2011, 12:12:17 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 01, 2011, 12:00:37 PM
I don't really get all the RFK love.

Me, either.  I don't think he would have made a great president.

Well not with that "D" next to his name.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Norgy on April 01, 2011, 12:13:47 PM
What about Nelson Rockefeller instead of Teflon Brain?

:thumbsdown:

Everyone loves to rave about liberal Republicans to make a point about the current breed, but they forget that liberal Republicans often led their cities or states into bankruptcy.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on April 01, 2011, 12:16:37 PM

The kennedy's are an overrated bunch.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Truman now, there was a Democrat president.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

Quote from: Razgovory on April 01, 2011, 12:16:37 PM

Your hackery is showing.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 01, 2011, 12:21:24 PM
Truman now, there was a Democrat president.

He was a gracious loser too. :)

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Norgy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 01, 2011, 12:18:08 PM

:thumbsdown:

Everyone loves to rave about liberal Republicans to make a point about the current breed, but they forget that liberal Republicans often led their cities or states into bankruptcy.

Unlike the whole union.

Meh, I have no love for "liberal" Republicans or any other Republican. It just seems to me that Reagan made them even worse.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

Quote from: Norgy on April 01, 2011, 12:24:01 PM
It just seems to me that Reagan made them even worse.

To a degree, he certainly did.  He gave them the rhetoric of balanced budgets and smaller government with none of the follow-through that they've been running on for the last 20 years.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Norgy

Quote from: Habbaku on April 01, 2011, 12:25:46 PM

To a degree, he certainly did.  He gave them the rhetoric of balanced budgets and smaller government with none of the follow-through that they've been running on for the last 20 years.

That's one point I can certainly see.
One could of course argue that his administration spent the Soviet Union to death and that the ambitious, costly and ultimately quite useless (in terms of their actual implementation) projects convinced Soviet leadership that their system was doomed.

On the other hand, (and correct me if I am completely off target here) I understand Reagan built much of his support within the party on the Moral Majority and the Christian Right and moved the Republicans towards a more social conservative agenda, thus alienating quite a few voters (including a lot of Languishtas).

It seems as if this agenda has become an important rallying point ever since in order to get nominated.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Norgy on April 01, 2011, 12:32:59 PM
On the other hand, (and correct me if I am completely off target here) I understand Reagan built much of his support within the party on the Moral Majority and the Christian Right and moved the Republicans towards a more social conservative agenda, thus alienating quite a few voters (including a lot of Languishtas).

This may be more an issue of characterization than of analysis, but my impression is that Reagan built up his power more through appeal to the nationalistic/patriotic/jingoistic/assertive (choose whichever one you like) parts of the American psyche than by pandering to the religious right.  In contrast to the defeatist self-loathing policies of Carter.  Massive defense spending.  Evil empire.  Shoot the shit out of Cuban construction workers.  Remember Carter was all about the Jesus too.

I can't think of any major legislation he signed that was particularly social conservative in nature (though Marty might be quick to jump in with his horribly homophobic policies on AIDS).