Financial Times: Brazil Should Annex Portugal

Started by jimmy olsen, March 30, 2011, 11:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I wholeheartedly agree. :cheers:

http://www.businessinsider.com/brazil-portugal-merger-2011-3#ixzz1I9I2ENXh
QuoteBrazil-Portugal Merger?
John Ellis | Mar. 30, 2011, 5:08 PM | 714 | comment 11

FT Associate Editor Edward Hadas posted a short note the other day that sent his Portuguese readers into spasms of rage.

He suggested that Portugal leave the European Union and allow itself to be annexed by its former colony, Brazil.

Once they got over the sting of being a province, instead of a sovereign state, the Portuguese would soon find themselves in a much stronger position.  Hadas wrote:

Here is an out-of-the-box way to deal with the situation: annexation by Portuguese-speaking Brazil (a decade of 4 per cent annual GDP growth, much higher recently). Portugal would be a big province, but far from dominant: 5 per cent of the population and 10 per cent of GDP.

Sure, the old colonist would resent the loss of status. But the former colony has something to offer, even beyond narrower credit spreads and proportionally much lower government and current account deficits. Brazil is one of the BRICs, the emerging centre of world power. That sounds like a better home than the tired old EU.

Mr. Hadas' suggestion was, of course, a bit tongue-in-cheek.  But it's a smart idea. Portugal should think it through.  Is thirty years of servitude to the EU really such an appealing prospect?  There has to be more to life than paying back German bankers. 

And think of what it might mean to Portuguese "football" fans. Combine the Brazilian national team with the Portuguese national team and you have the best team in the world.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Valmy

Brazil has been an emerging power practically from the day it gained independence.  I wish it would get on with it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

QuoteAnd think of what it might mean to Portuguese "football" fans. Combine the Brazilian national team with the Portuguese national team and you have the best team in the world.

If you combine Brazil and Palau, do you still have the best football team in the world?

I think Portugal, Greece, Ireland, etc. have a decent situation in the EU with the EU preventing their default.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

Didn't JR just suggest this earlier today? Maybe he writes for FT...
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 31, 2011, 12:47:39 AM
:yes: Was about to make the same post. :P
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 30, 2011, 11:41:25 PM
Should we annex: Great Britain?  :P

Bleh. Fuck the English. And the Welsh? Awful people.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martim Silva

In the XIXth century, our King wanted to move the capital to Rio de Janeiro, since he saw the Empire as a single nation and having it centered in Brazil made more sense - and he did do so when Napoleon invaded. Didn't even want to come back after the French defeat.

As a result, we had the Liberal Revolution of 1820. Nobody in the home country wanted the capital outside Europe. Brazil rebelled and got its independence recognized by 1825.

Brazils' president Dilma Rousseff was here yesterday. Lula (also here) suggested the country helped Portugal by buying its debt. Dilma said 'it's complicated' and cut her trip short (i.e. left immediately after this possibility was raised).

Besides, Brazil is so corrupt that Portugal actually looks like a good nation in comparison (you have to pay to actually get police protection, for example. And police stations fight amongst each other for the right to give such 'protection').

Fuck Brazil. We'll be 1000x better as an European province, as long as Germany is ultimately in charge. THEY see things from an European perspective, irrespective of having the CDU or the SPD in charge.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 31, 2011, 12:47:39 AM

I subscribe.
But I have been travelling all week and didn't read this.  It appears my brain has been attuned to the FT hive mind.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Rubbing levels would be 100,000 times normal.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.