Main Menu

Violence Rocks Thailand

Started by jimmy olsen, April 13, 2009, 05:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Give us the low down DP.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30162229/
QuoteDeadly gunbattle erupts as Thai protests spread
Army says it's 'trying to cause as little loss as possible' amid violent clashes

AP
updated 1:01 p.m. ET, Mon., April 13, 2009

BANGKOK, Thailand - Thousands of troops pushed anti-government protesters who rampaged throughout the capital into their stronghold Monday night, but the political unrest turned deadly when nearby residents turned against them.

The evening gunbattle came after a full day of clashes between the protesters — who are pressing Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva to resign — and soldiers across the city. Troops fired warning shots and tear gas at the demonstrators and finally forced most to retreat to their base outside the prime minister's offices. There organizers said the group, which is made up largely of supporters of ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, would make its "final stand."

Two people died in clashes between protesters and city residents enraged at their violent disruption. More than 100 people were injured in the more than 12 hours of running street battles — a major escalation of the country's ongoing political turmoil.

The unrest caused malls and shops to shutter, and official celebrations for the Thai new year were canceled. More than a dozen countries, including the United States, issued travel warnings urging citizens to avoid trips to Thailand and for those already in Bangkok to stay in their hotels and away from the protests.

6,000 troops in city
As evening fell, some of the 6,000 troops deployed in Bangkok began moving toward Government House, where the protesters have been holding out since March 26. An estimated 5,000 demonstrators were gathered in the area.

But as protesters retreated, street fighting broke out in several neighborhoods between them and residents angry at their disruption.

The deaths occurred at a market near the protesters' stronghold, which is outside the prime minister's offices, said government minister Sathit Wongnongtoey. Dr. Chatri Charoenchivakul of the official Erawan Emergency Coordination Center said the victims were males, aged 19 and 53.

He said 133 people in total had been hurt Monday.

The 53-year-old dead man, an area resident, was in a crowd of people who were hurling abuse at the protesters, who then shot at them, said Sathit. His account could not be independently confirmed.

Clashes erupted earlier between protesters and residents in at least three other areas earlier.

In a Muslim-dominated neighborhood, hundreds of protesters threw objects at residents, burned tires, barged into a mosque and tried to set food stalls on fire. Residents fought them with sticks.

Earlier, the protesters were stationed at a half-dozen points in Bangkok, defying government-imposed state-of-emergency measures that ban gatherings of more than five people.

Buses used as blockades
Protesters commandeered public buses to block several key intersections and sent two unmanned buses, one of them burning, hurtling toward lines of soldiers. One swerved and then ricocheted off trees on the side of the road before coming to a halt, with no one injured.

In one of several confrontations, a line of troops in full battle gear fired volleys of M-16 fire, most of it aimed above the heads of protesters and turned water cannons on the crowd near Victory Monument, a major traffic circle. An army spokesman said troops fired blank bullets into the crowds and live shots overhead.

The violence threatens to slash tourism revenue and could lead to the loss of 200,000 jobs in the industry that directly employs about 2 million people, said Kongkrit Hiranyakit, chairman of the Tourism Council of Thailand.

It is also likely to give pause to foreign businesses considering building factories or making other investments — especially since it comes just months after a group of rival protesters occupied the capital's airports for a week, stranding thousands of tourists and businessmen and sending the economy into a tailspin.

Political tensions have simmered since Thaksin was ousted by a military coup in 2006 amid accusations of corruption and abuse of power. He remains popular in the impoverished countryside for his populist policies.

His opponents — many in urban areas — took to the streets last year to help bring down two governments led by his allies, seizing Bangkok's two airports in November for about a week.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Give us the low down DP.

Damn kids these days don't even say 'please' anymore.  :mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DisturbedPervert

It's pretty crazy.  There aren't many of them but they're really violent, it's pretty impressive actually that such small crowds of people caused so much chaos yesterday.  They have homemade Molotov cocktails and have some guns, and are seizing public buses and lighting them on fire.  They also seized a fuel truck, drove in to a lower class apartment complex, and threatened to blow it up. 

The older dude in the article that died is the husband of a woman my girlfriend knows, the insurgents gunned him down when he tried to tell them to leave the market he was shopping in.  It happened a few blocks away from my apartment too.

Anyway I hope the military clears them out today.  I personally would like to see them slaughtered like dogs, as they've gone from protesting to violent rebellion, but the government doesn't want to kill if they can avoid it. 

All in all, it's pretty cool tv.  It sucks that new years is kinda lame this year, I have my water cannon ready for combat but there weren't that many people out yesterday.

Caliga

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 13, 2009, 05:59:41 PM
It's pretty crazy.  There aren't many of them but they're really violent, it's pretty impressive actually that such small crowds of people caused so much chaos yesterday.  They have homemade Molotov cocktails and have some guns, and are seizing public buses and lighting them on fire.  They also seized a fuel truck, drove in to a lower class apartment complex, and threatened to blow it up. 

The older dude in the article that died is the husband of a woman my girlfriend knows, the insurgents gunned him down when he tried to tell them to leave the market he was shopping in.  It happened a few blocks away from my apartment too.

Anyway I hope the military clears them out today.  I personally would like to see them slaughtered like dogs, as they've gone from protesting to violent rebellion, but the government doesn't want to kill if they can avoid it. 

All in all, it's pretty cool tv.  It sucks that new years is kinda lame this year, I have my water cannon ready for combat but there weren't that many people out yesterday.

pics plz
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DisturbedPervert

My camera is busted, it won't turn on.  Anyway I didn't go near any of it yesterday, I only went to the new years party area.

Habsburg

:mad:

Fooking Anarcists!  Order must be kept at all times!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 13, 2009, 05:59:41 PM

You have a water cannon? :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 13, 2009, 09:51:42 PM

Yes.  Thai New Years is a nationwide, 3 day, 65 million person water fight.  People all over the streets with water guns, or driving around in pickup trucks with trash cans filled with ice water, soaking everyone they see.  If you don't like it you just have to stay inside until it's over, it's very difficult to avoid the water in many places.

Normally where I went yesterday would have thousands of people with water guns, yesterday not nearly as many because of the riot.  I need to find a night club for tonight that is open and allows water guns, since the first day sucked.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 13, 2009, 10:22:14 PM

Yes.  Thai New Years is a nationwide, 3 day, 65 million person water fight.  People all over the streets with water guns, or driving around in pickup trucks with trash cans filled with ice water, soaking everyone they see.  If you don't like it you just have to stay inside until it's over, it's very difficult to avoid the water in many places.

Normally where I went yesterday would have thousands of people with water guns, yesterday not nearly as many because of the riot.  I need to find a night club for tonight that is open and allows water guns, since the first day sucked.

When I hear water cannon I think pressurized hose used on protesters, not a water gun.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Siege

Who Teh Fuck Are You?

Are you related to Btrollsom?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Hansmeister

I just met Saturday with my ex-Delta Force buddy who just returned from a mission in Thailand telling me how fucked up the situation is over there.  It's going to get a lot worse.

DisturbedPervert

It's basically over already.  The leaders of the riot have agreed to surrender and face charges, the government is providing free transport home for protesters not involved in violence, and Thaksin is completely discredited after ordering riots in the capital city.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 13, 2009, 11:18:57 PM
It's basically over already.  The leaders of the riot have agreed to surrender and face charges, the government is providing free transport home for protesters not involved in violence, and Thaksin is completely discredited after ordering riots in the capital city.
That didn't seem to work for the opposition who weren't discredited after riots, or the Royal family who weren't discredited after, allegedly, tacitly approving a military coup d'etat.  Maybe things are different for Thaksin.
Let's bomb Russia!

Hansmeister

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 13, 2009, 11:18:57 PM

Are you sure you're not simply reflecting the views of bangkok and not of the hinterland?  There tends to be a substantial difference in perceptions between the two which is at the root of much of the domestic strife.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Siege on April 13, 2009, 10:41:54 PM

Who Teh Fuck Are You?

Are you related to Btrollsom?

DPs been around for years Siege, and with the same name. How could you miss him?

1 Karma Chameleon point