News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I heart my Boxee Box

Started by Norgy, March 30, 2011, 12:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

Yes, I do. I replaced my old Western Digital media player with the Boxee Box, and feared the worst.
It does have a fair bit of bells and whistles and a lot of services aren't available outside of the US, but it's still intuitive and relatively fast. It streams from the intarweb and from disk just as easily and the remote has a small QWERTY keyboard.

Hooking it up to my NAS was also easy enough.

Now, I am sure someone will tell me I could've built this out of an old processor, nail clippings and a milk carton myself, but I think the Boxee Box deserves a big pat on the back.  :)

Thus ends this short review of unecessary consumer electronics.

Ed Anger

You people are going to make me buy one of these damn things. Or a Roku box.

*grumble*
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Awesome device-- I'd get one if it wouldn't result in even more functional redundancy.  They sure made that thing so you couldn't stack shit on top of it, didn't they?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Norgy

It's like a little pyramid without Egyptians burning flags or shooting tourists.

I guess what I like the most is the intuitive menus and ease of use. It boots quickly and offers a lot more than a simple media player. I am guessing they will also offer more and more content through the web, probably mostly through connecting your Boxee account to other services so that they can charge you, but there's also the option to flip through your bootlegs and pirated stuff in a very intuitive manner.  :P

derspiess

Quote from: Norgy on March 31, 2011, 11:53:51 AM
I guess what I like the most is the intuitive menus and ease of use. It boots quickly and offers a lot more than a simple media player. I am guessing they will also offer more and more content through the web, probably mostly through connecting your Boxee account to other services so that they can charge you, but there's also the option to flip through your bootlegs and pirated stuff in a very intuitive manner.  :P

I was thinking the device would end up dying before it was released, with the hardware supply issue they had.  But it seems like it's been pretty successful.  I want to get a streaming media device for my kid's room so he can stop monopolizing my TV to watch Ponyo on Netflix for the 300th time.  I can't justify dropping $200 on a boxee for that purpose, so I think I'll get the $60 Roku box.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Norgy

There definitely are cheaper alternatives. I bought mine with a solid 30 % rebate, and I don't think I'd have paid full price.

I've ended up spending so much on consumer electronics lately, actual content seems prohibitively expensive for a few weeks...  :lol:

And while not perfect, I think its main strength is the design. It actually looks good, unlike my old first gen Xbox 360 and full-tower PC.