Baseball Season 2011

Started by derspiess, March 30, 2011, 10:52:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 28, 2011, 08:59:06 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 28, 2011, 08:58:09 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 28, 2011, 08:53:45 PM
What is Ron Washington doing?

Hilarity is ensuing?  What's going on?  SP sucking or bullpen sucking?

There seems to be a commercial right now.
He loaded the bases with an intentional base on balls, and then pitcher walked in a run. Not surprising since he hit the batter before the IBB.

EDIT: Just hit another batter to drive in a run.

I've never seen that happen before.  I don't know what the end game of this rather unique strategy is.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Rangers are going out with a wimper so far.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Congrats to the Cards.

My poor father has been a fan of the Senators/Rangers since they started in 1961.  And he was a fan of the old Washington Senators before that in the 50s.  Ah well at least he is used to it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Card win, after one of the most unlikely seasons ever.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on October 28, 2011, 10:29:06 PM
Congrats to the Cards.

My poor father has been a fan of the Senators/Rangers since they started in 1961.  And he was a fan of the old Washington Senators before that in the 50s.  Ah well at least he is used to it.
Man, that's sad. :(
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

:punk: Seemed like forever between 1982 and 2006.  Glad I didn't have to wait too long for this one.

But I'm still in shock.  Not sure when it will sink in.  I was happy as hell that they just made the damned playoffs. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 28, 2011, 11:31:57 PM
But I'm still in shock.  Not sure when it will sink in.

I think Rangers fans are feeling that way about last night.  The full scope of the disaster that befell them is just starting to sink in.

sbr

:yeah:  Wohoo, Cards win!!  I barely remember '82 but '85 and '87 are burned into my memory forever.  Tonight's game took a bit of the shine off of a very good series but I will take it every time.

Syt

Grats to the Cards, awesome run into the postseason and awesome comeback in game 6 - a year for the history books for sure.

The bottom of the 5th had me laughing out loud; I thought Ron Washington would start to cry. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

La Russa is retiring.  Says he's not going to manage somewhere else.  Hate to see him go, but with his age I wonder if there aren't some health issues in play.  Anyway, perfect timing--  if you have to go, go out on top.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7173381/tony-la-russa-st-louis-cardinals-says-retiring

Ed Anger

La Russa retires.

Goodbye. I played your videogame.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

DAMN YOU SPICY!!!!!!!!!!!  *fake outrage at beating me*
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Well, seeing how he can't possibly top the past two months of his managerial career, I'd say now is as good a time as any to retire sign a commentator gig with ESPN.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

So how does LaRussa stack up against the top managers of his era?
Candidates being: Lou Piniella, Joe Torre, Bobby Cox, Tom Lasorda, Jim Leyland, Sparky Anderson, Davey Johnson, (anyone important I missed?)

I think he stacks up pretty well although I don't entirely approve of the 1 batter pitching change strategies he pioneered.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson