And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball Season 2011

Started by derspiess, March 30, 2011, 10:52:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on October 21, 2011, 02:14:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 21, 2011, 12:52:53 PM
Yeah, I saw the last half of the game.  It was tense.  My dad gets too worked up over it.  He's keeps referring to the Cardinals as "us", as if he and I were out there playing.  Really strange.

Not strange at all since the love of sports is often tied into identification with a team.  After all if you have been a fan for a few decades you have probably been with the franchise longer than anybody actually a member of it...except perhaps the owner.

Seems weird to me.  I root for the Cards because they are the local team.  It's also less depressing then rooting for Royals.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

sbr

Quote from: Razgovory on October 21, 2011, 05:59:57 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 21, 2011, 02:14:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 21, 2011, 12:52:53 PM
Yeah, I saw the last half of the game.  It was tense.  My dad gets too worked up over it.  He's keeps referring to the Cardinals as "us", as if he and I were out there playing.  Really strange.

Not strange at all since the love of sports is often tied into identification with a team.  After all if you have been a fan for a few decades you have probably been with the franchise longer than anybody actually a member of it...except perhaps the owner.

Seems weird to me.  I root for the Cards because they are the local team.  It's also less depressing then rooting for Royals.

Rooting for Muammar Gaddafi would be less depressing than rooting for the Royals.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: sbr on October 21, 2011, 06:11:09 PM
Rooting for Muammar Gaddafi would be less depressing than rooting for the Royals.
On behalf of Beeb and I:  :cry:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

I keep hearing that the Royals have one of the best farm systems in the MLB. When is it going to come to fruition?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Syt on October 22, 2011, 01:53:32 AM
I keep hearing that the Royals have one of the best farm systems in the MLB. When is it going to come to fruition?
Never.  They just rotate up, then trade and restock.  It's a never ending cycle.  Instead of keeping their own home grown guys, they bring in awful overpaid free agents on the rare occasion they splurge on salary.  It's awful.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on October 22, 2011, 01:56:34 AM
Never.  They just rotate up, then trade and restock.  It's a never ending cycle.  Instead of keeping their own home grown guys, they bring in awful overpaid free agents on the rare occasion they splurge on salary.  It's awful.

So basically like the Pirates these past two decades. Though the Bucs at least seem to be willing to break this cycle now.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

dps

Quote from: Syt on October 22, 2011, 02:51:39 AM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on October 22, 2011, 01:56:34 AM

So basically like the Pirates these past two decades. Though the Bucs at least seem to be willing to break this cycle now.

The difference is that for years, the Pirates never seemed to have a plan.  The Royals alway have a plan.  The problem is, they change that plan more often than most people change their underwear, and the new plan is usually totally at odds with the old plan:  "we're going to build from within, using our farm system",  "our minor leaguers aren't ready?  Sign some free agents", "the free agents aren't performing up to their previous standards?  Trade them for prospects", "the prospects aren't working out?  Sign some free agents", etc.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on October 22, 2011, 01:26:57 AM

I always thought George Brett was cool.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

I head an interview with an ESPN baseball talking head (Olney, Stark or Timmy Kysdfkjsdfn, don't remember which) much earlier in the year and they said the Royals would win their division in 2013. FWIW.

sbr

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 22, 2011, 08:18:26 AM

:yes:  Second best 3rd baseman of all time.

dps

Quote from: sbr on October 22, 2011, 11:29:21 AM

I'd put him in the top five, but any higher than 3rd.

sbr

Quote from: dps on October 22, 2011, 04:38:52 PM
Quote from: sbr on October 22, 2011, 11:29:21 AM

I'd put him in the top five, but any higher than 3rd.

Mike Schmidt is #1, who would you put as #2?

Barrister

:cry:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

George Brett *IS* cool. :mad:

And a God amongst men, but that may just be my personal opinion.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Is, was...it doesn't matter.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive