News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball Season 2011

Started by derspiess, March 30, 2011, 10:52:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2011, 12:38:41 PM
Well they weren't for me as a Royals fan.

Yeah ok if you finish last in your division in the NHL or NBA every year you do not make the playoffs either.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2011, 01:00:26 PM
Ever heard of a little show called Sportscentre?  It's great - it gives you the highlights of all the games without having to watch every single game.

You know what?  I don't need this.  I had a great night last night and I do not need you and GF trying to shit on it and tell me why it is not exciting.

I mean I love the NHL but that does not mean I want every league to be a clone.  Sometimes it is nice when the regular season and the division titles mean more.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2011, 01:25:45 PM
Ever heard of a little show called Sportscentre?  It's great - it gives you the highlights of all the games without having to watch every single game.

You know what?  I don't need this.  I had a great night last night and I do not need you and GF trying to shit on it and tell me why it is not exciting.

Took you long enough!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2011, 01:25:45 PM

I mean I love the NHL but that does not mean I want every league to be a clone.  Sometimes it is nice when the regular season and the division titles mean more.

I don't know why you're taking this so personally.  It's not as if GF and I are calling you stupid for enjoying baseball, or that you shouldn't have been excited at last nights games.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2011, 01:31:01 PM
I don't know why you're taking this so personally.  It's not as if GF and I are calling you stupid for enjoying baseball, or that you shouldn't have been excited at last nights games.

Bad timing.  I am on a fan high right now.  And how can you honestly wonder how I can be taking this so personally?  Look how irrational you are about the Jets.

Valmy

Anyway check this out: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7033950/a-running-diary-game-162

Simmons calls it hours before it happens:

Quote4:22 — Red Sox killer Robert Andino leads off for the Orioles as Daniel hisses, "That's just an eff you move by Showalter." Lester strikes him out. I've had Andino on my AL Keeper Team all season — he's a homeless man's Ben Zobrist. There's no better candidate to ruin the 2011 Red Sox season and join the Bucky Dent/Enos Slaughter/Aaron Boone group. He's the odds-on favorite.

derspiess

I know the Tampa Bay thing was a lot more spectacular, but for obvious reasons the Cardinals and Braves games overshadowed it for me.  I had both games split-screened on ESPN3 via Xbox (awesomeness), and kept flipping the audio back & forth :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on September 29, 2011, 02:51:25 PM
I know the Tampa Bay thing was a lot more spectacular, but for obvious reasons the Cardinals and Braves games overshadowed it for me.  I had both games split-screened on ESPN3 via Xbox (awesomeness), and kept flipping the audio back & forth :)

Good God man - why?

Didn't you know there was a Winnipeg Jets pre-season game going on?????
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 29, 2011, 02:51:25 PM

I was flipping between all four games.  Those ninth innings were amazing.  Even the Braves one you could just see the feeling of doom sweeping over the park.

I hope they refer to this Red Sox collapse as 'The Curse of the Andino'.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on September 29, 2011, 11:05:58 AM
For Tim:

Pretty cool, but New England sports allegiances cross over into New Brunswick as well.

Surely Mariners territory crosses over into Vancouver as well.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

stjaba

Last night was probably the most memorable night in regular season baseball in recent memory. I was in class from 5:20 to 8:20. I got a text from a friend(we're both Rays fans) watching the game in Boston at a Red Sox party- he said the score was 7-0 Yankees, and that the Red Sox were winning. I pretty much assumed the season was over, but I went over to a friend's place anyway to watch the rest of the season- which turned out to be a good decision.

I'm pretty sure the Rays aren't going to make it out of the ALDS though. I think the team is pretty fatigued, both physically and emotionally, from the post season chase. I definitely wasn't expecting them to make the playoffs, either. So, to me, everything is gravy going forward.

One last point- yesterday's game shows us how stupid the proposal to add Wild Card teams is. All of those exciting games yesterday would have been meaningless if two wild cards qualified.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: stjaba on September 29, 2011, 07:48:35 PM
One last point- yesterday's game shows us how stupid the proposal to add Wild Card teams is. All of those exciting games yesterday would have been meaningless if two wild cards qualified.

So what you're saying is, you'd rather see that happen once every 8 or 9 years rather than doubling the chances of it happening every year?

stjaba

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 29, 2011, 08:12:05 PM

So what you're saying is, you'd rather see that happen once every 8 or 9 years rather than doubling the chances of it happening every year?

That's not what I am saying. The race for the Wild Card spot is more than the last game of the season. In both leagues it lasted for 3+ weeks. If there was an extra wild card spot, those games would have had way less meaning. There would have been one exciting game, instead of dozens.

Razgovory

Do the Mets really have the monopoly of loyalty in the city while the Yankees dominate upstate?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

sbr

Quote from: stjaba on September 29, 2011, 08:21:14 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 29, 2011, 08:12:05 PM

That's not what I am saying. The race for the Wild Card spot is more than the last game of the season. In both leagues it lasted for 3+ weeks. If there was an extra wild card spot, those games would have had way less meaning. There would have been one exciting game, instead of dozens.

Thank you.  Last night would have meant nothing if there were 2 wildcards from each league.  Please let's let at least one sport keep the importance of the regular season without selling everything out to the playoff tournament at the end.