News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball Season 2011

Started by derspiess, March 30, 2011, 10:52:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

You can tell tomorrow is opening day-- on my drive in to this morning I noticed that all the bums had already staked out their begging spots.

I turned down opening day tickets because I have a project deadline to meet.  I'd like to go to Reds opening day sometime but the thought of paying a premium over regular ticket prices to go freeze my ass off doesn't appeal to me (unless it's football, which is meant to be played in that weather).

Seems like about half the yokel Reds fans are confident that they'll win the Series this year, and the other half have the proper amount of pessimism (getting swept in the divisional playoff round is still fresh in their minds).

Cardinals have too damned many question marks, so they could either win the division by a 10 game margin or have a losing season.

Phillies should dominate the NL if they stay healthy.

That's about all I've got for now.  I don't usually start paying a whole lot of attention until a couple weeks into the season, but I figured we needed a thread out of respect for the game.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

The Reds do  have a chance but only because they play in the NFC West of the NL.

I boldy predict the O's will finish in 3rd place in the AL East.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

I might go to a few minor league games this spring. Go in the middle of summer? Pass.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 30, 2011, 11:10:27 AM

*sniff*

I still feel sad when I think about the Expos 1994 team.  The champions who never were.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 30, 2011, 11:04:14 AM
I might go to a few minor league games this spring. Go in the middle of summer? Pass.
:cool:

Bats games = fun.  Last time I went I saw them kick the shit out of the Toledo Mud Hens. :smoke:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on March 30, 2011, 11:27:53 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 30, 2011, 11:04:14 AM
:cool:

Bats games = fun.  Last time I went I saw them kick the shit out of the Toledo Mud Hens. :smoke:

The Round Rock Express have the worst parking lot in sports.  I would go more often but it takes forever to leave once the game is over.  Screw that.

Also the temptation at Minor League games to blow way too much money on over-priced beer is hard to resist.

Caliga

City driving annoys me (the Bats play downtown at Slugger Field, which is right on the river), so I always make Princesca drive when we go. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

HVC

Never noticed it before, but the expo's emblem in that pick looks like jousting penises.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on March 30, 2011, 11:34:24 AM
City driving annoys me (the Bats play downtown at Slugger Field, which is right on the river), so I always make Princesca drive when we go. :)

Hell, I have to go into downtown Dayton. Especially now that the city is starting to stir back into life.

Sophie Scholl

The Royals have already pretty much topped out for the year by coming in 2nd in the Cactus League.  It'll be all downhill from here.  Having traded away most of their established players and banking off their farm system to ever be relevant again means it'll be about two years before they do anything of note.  Of course, that's figuring that they don't bring all of their talent along piecemeal or make them switch positions or other awful decision making and ruin them like they've been doing for the past 20 or so years.  I hate the Glass family.  A lot.  I'll also be following the Indians this year, who I expect to be in a struggle for last place with the Royals, but at least it'll be fun.

In terms of games, I'd like to catch a few the summer.  Maybe Toronto, Boston, Cleveland, and New York for the pros and some Syracuse and Buffalo games for AAA.  I already have tickets for the Buffalo Bisons game on Star Wars Night! :nerd:  If I see one even semi-attractive Slave Leia I'll be happy.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

katmai

Los Gigantes de San Francisco have nowhere to go but down :(
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on March 30, 2011, 01:22:58 PM
I already have tickets for the Buffalo Bisons game on Star Wars Night! :nerd:  If I see one even semi-attractive Slave Leia I'll be happy.

In Buffalo? Good luck!

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 30, 2011, 01:30:20 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on March 30, 2011, 01:22:58 PM
I already have tickets for the Buffalo Bisons game on Star Wars Night! :nerd:  If I see one even semi-attractive Slave Leia I'll be happy.

In Buffalo? Good luck!
Hahaha, I know.  A man can dream though, right? :lol:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."