Meet the New Boss, Same as the Old Boss

Started by Faeelin, April 13, 2009, 04:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2009/04/11/bagram/index.html

QuoteThe Obama DOJ is now squarely to the Right of an extremely conservative, pro-executive-power, Bush 43-appointed judge on issues of executive power and due-process-less detentions.

Hrmm. It's kind of sad that this doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Faeelin

Quote from: Scipio on April 13, 2009, 04:47:29 PM
Where is your commie pinko god now?

Obama, Obama, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me?

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Good.
If there's any aspect of the Obama Administration that needs to retain its balls other than Defense, it's Justice.

Sheilbh

I don't know enough about the law in this sort of case.  I normally wait for JR and grumbler to argue for a few pages.

If this is is as described then it's pretty fucking despicable and very disappointing.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 13, 2009, 09:26:25 PM
I don't know enough about the law in this sort of case.  I normally wait for JR and grumbler to argue for a few pages.

If this is is as described then it's pretty fucking despicable and very disappointing.
JR and I are, I think, in perfect accord with one another on this issue, and you have summed up our position in paragraph 2.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 13, 2009, 09:26:25 PM
Since JR and grumbler don't have the best interests of the West at heart (one is a Jew and a Democrat, the other is a professional malcontent), I usually wait for them to come to a consensus, and then reflexively oppose it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Hansmeister

It is of course the only sensible position so it is no real surprise.  Applying Habeas Corpus to the battlefield is, quite frankly, an utterly insane position (not to mention a violation of the Geneva Convention).

Hansmeister

Always remember, all promises by Obama come with an expiration date, usually five minutes after he utters it.

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

Quote from: Hansmeister on April 13, 2009, 10:19:30 PM
It is of course the only sensible position so it is no real surprise.  Applying Habeas Corpus to the battlefield is, quite frankly, an utterly insane position (not to mention a violation of the Geneva Convention).

Define "battlefield."
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

Hansmeister

Quote from: The Nickname Who Was Thursday on April 13, 2009, 10:20:54 PM

Define "battlefield."

Congress was quite broad in its language when it authorized the use of force after 9-11:  It is completely up to the President to make that determination.  Congress could limit that authority but I don't see that happening.

Faeelin

If only there was some sort of status for prisoners captured on a battlefield in the Geneva Convention. Hrmm.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Faeelin on April 13, 2009, 10:29:05 PM

If only there was some sort of status for prisoners captured on a battlefield in the Geneva Convention. Hrmm.

Of course there are, and it is being applied more liberally than we need to.

Alas, there are different status for protected and unprotected categories of combatant, as was explained in quite detail years ago on languish.  It is just that the stupid left tends to gloss over those csategories since they find them inconvenient.

Razgovory

Quote from: Hansmeister on April 13, 2009, 10:20:17 PM
Always remember, all promises by Obama come with an expiration date, usually five minutes after he utters it.

Then you should be pleased as punch.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017