News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Iron Dome deployed, totally kosher

Started by CountDeMoney, March 28, 2011, 06:10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

QuoteIsrael deploys new anti-missile system

JERUSALEM — Israel on Sunday deployed a still experimental anti-missile system to protect residents within striking distance of rockets fired from the Gaza Strip, a clear sign that Israeli leaders do not believe that rocket fire from the territory will abate soon.

An initial battery was deployed around the southern city of Beersheba, 25 miles from the Gaza border, as increased Palestinian rocket fire sent Israelis scurrying into shelters all across southern Israel in recent days.

Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu acknowledged that the system, called Iron Dome, would provide only partial protection.

"I do not want to foster the illusion that Iron Dome, which we are deploying today for the first time, will provide a complete or comprehensive answer,'' Netanyahu said after a weekly cabinet meeting Sunday.

Netanyahu said that Israel has no interest in an escalation of hostilities with Hamas, the Palestinian militant group that controls the Gaza Strip, but that "we will not hesitate to use the might of the Israel Defense Forces against anyone who attacks our people."

On Sunday, the Israeli air force reportedly killed two militants from the Palestinian group Islamic Jihad who the military said were preparing to fire rockets or mortar shells into Israel.

The Iron Dome system was rushed into service amid discussion of a possible new, broader Israeli military offensive against the Hamas leadership in Gaza, which Israel describes as a terrorist group but which is also a major force in Palestinian politics.

Israel launched a widely criticized bombardment of the coastal territory in late 2008 to try to put an end to rocket attacks. The conflict left an estimated 1,300 Palestinians and 13 Israelis dead.

Using cameras and radars to track incoming projectiles, the Iron Dome system was developed with more than $200 million in U.S. assistance, reportedly about half its cost.

The system is unable to protect communities within about a 3-mile radius from Gaza, an area that sustains the most intensive mortar and rocket fire.

Earlier this month, representatives of those communities appealed to Israel's highest court to try to force the government to strengthen defenses in their towns.

BVN

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 28, 2011, 06:10:27 AM
QuoteIsrael deploys new anti-missile system

Using cameras and radars to track incoming projectiles, the Iron Dome system was developed with more than $200 million in U.S. assistance, reportedly about half its cost.

Money well spent?  :hmm:

Warspite

Iron Dome sounds like it should be some sub-par 80s action flick.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

CountDeMoney

Quote from: BVN on March 28, 2011, 06:33:28 AM

Yup.  Every dollar that goes to saving a Jew is a slap in the face of European anti-semitards and their "pro-Palestinian neutrality".  So it's a two-fer WIN WIN.

Caliga

Quote from: Warspite on March 28, 2011, 06:35:07 AM
Will it star Louis Gossett Jr. ? :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on March 28, 2011, 06:51:40 AM

I want these pigs...destroyed
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Wasn't expecting to find Money defending missile defense systems. :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

How does it work? Kinetic rounds? Anti-missiles? Lasers?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

BVN

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 28, 2011, 06:45:46 AM
Quote from: BVN on March 28, 2011, 06:33:28 AM

Yup.  Every dollar that goes to saving a Jew is a slap in the face of European anti-semitards and their "pro-Palestinian neutrality".  So it's a two-fer WIN WIN.
:lol:

It will probably only save some defence companies...

DGuller

Seems pretty cost-ineffective to me.  The cost of shooting those rockets down would probably be hundred times more than just the expected damage from the rockets.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on March 28, 2011, 07:56:28 AM
Seems pretty cost-ineffective to me.  The cost of shooting those rockets down would probably be hundred times more than just the expected damage from the rockets.

I wonder if Marty will arrive to bite down your head now, for implying that Jewish life has a price

Brazen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 28, 2011, 07:30:52 AM
Other missiles. It's a bit shit.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Caliga on March 28, 2011, 06:51:40 AM
I was gonna say it was probably one of Destro's relatives.
PDH!

Strix

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 28, 2011, 07:30:52 AM

sharks with frickin lazers on their heads.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Josquius

Iron Dome sounds like the name of a cliched Soviet lunar colony.

Quotesharks with frickin lazers on their heads.
But what if the missiles are being fired at inland cities?
██████
██████
██████