Gangs of armed young men roam Syrian seaside city

Started by jimmy olsen, March 27, 2011, 08:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Is the grip of Iran on the current Syrian government strong and well-known enough (among Syrian citizens), to push the future opposition / replacement to seek a cooperative stance toward Israel?

derspiess

Quote from: Tamas on March 28, 2011, 09:13:11 AM
Is the grip of Iran on the current Syrian government strong and well-known enough (among Syrian citizens), to push the future opposition / replacement to seek a cooperative stance toward Israel?

:huh:  I'd give that about a 0% chance.  It's not as if the Sunni masses love Israel.  IMO best we could hope for is a slight reduction in the sponsorship of anti-Israeli terrorism.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: derspiess on March 28, 2011, 09:36:14 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 28, 2011, 09:13:11 AM

:huh:  I'd give that about a 0% chance.  It's not as if the Sunni masses love Israel.  IMO best we could hope for is a slight reduction in the sponsorship of anti-Israeli terrorism.
I agree.  Anti-Israeli propaganda is how most Syrians are raised. They ain't gonna change their tune just because they got a new gubbermint.  There is a very definite siege mentality going on there, with Israel to the South, Turkey to the North, and Iraq to the East. 
PDH!

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 28, 2011, 08:40:07 AM
The Syrian government has had its boot solidly on the throat of its people for quite a while.  I don't think it's a surprise to anyone that many/most Syrians aren't happy with the regime, but if the regime is indeed losing some of its control then that is something new.

Eh I have always heard unhappiness is rampant through the entire region and it was sure to blow at some point.  That point being now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on March 28, 2011, 10:28:01 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 28, 2011, 08:40:07 AM
The Syrian government has had its boot solidly on the throat of its people for quite a while.  I don't think it's a surprise to anyone that many/most Syrians aren't happy with the regime, but if the regime is indeed losing some of its control then that is something new.

Eh I have always heard unhappiness is rampant through the entire region and it was sure to blow at some point.  That point being now.

Come on, the magnitude of this thing hit the whole world as unprepared as it gets.

Ok, not as it gets, but unprepared for sure :P

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Looks like the rubbing may soon be quelled :(

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/27/us-syria-idUSTRE72N2MC20110327

Assad's regime is claiming there is foreign intervention, particularly in Latakia, and I'd have to think there is some truth to that.  I wonder if there are any middle eastern countries that *aren't* trying to destabilize one or more of their neighbors :D

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: derspiess on March 28, 2011, 04:43:42 PM
Looks like the rubbing may soon be quelled :(

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/27/us-syria-idUSTRE72N2MC20110327

Assad's regime is claiming there is foreign intervention, particularly in Latakia, and I'd have to think there is some truth to that.  I wonder if there are any middle eastern countries that *aren't* trying to destabilize one or more of their neighbors :D
No.
PDH!

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!