Bolivia Wants Their Coast Back, Taking Chile to Court

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2011, 01:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Lol. If they want it back that bad, go to war for it and win it. That's the only way it'll happen. (Of course it won't since Chile would clean their clock)

Or reform the Preu-Bolivian Federation if they need access to the sea that bad.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-12842978
QuoteBolivia's Morales to take Chile sea dispute to court

Bolivia has said it will take Chile to international courts to try to recover access to the Pacific Ocean, which it lost in a war 132 years ago.

President Evo Morales said Chile had failed to respond to a deadline he had set for progress in negotiations.

Bolivia's loss of the sea was an "open wound" that must be healed, he added.

Chilean President Sebastian Pinera has rejected the remarks, calling them a "serious obstacle" to relations.

Mr Morales was speaking on Bolivia's "Day of the Sea", when it commemorates its defeat by Chile in the 19th Century War of the Pacific.

"Our fight for maritime revindication, which has marked our history for 132 years, must now include another element", he said at a ceremony in La Paz.

"We must go to international tribunals and organisations to demand free and sovereign access to the sea."

He added that Bolivia would continue dialogue with Chile while seeking a legal solution to its landlocked status.

Hours later, Chile expressed its "categorical rejection" of the Bolivian announcement, calling it an "unacceptable pretension".

"Bolivia cannot expect a direct, frank and sincere dialogue while it simultaneously manifests its intention to go to international tribunals," said Chilean President Sebastian Pinera.
National sentiment

Bolivia broke off diplomatic relations with Chile over the territorial dispute in 1978.
map

They resumed ministerial-level talks on the issue earlier this year, but Chile declined to respond to Bolivia's 23 March deadline for it to come up with concrete proposals on how to meet its demands.

Chile is involved in a similar dispute over maritime boundaries with Peru, which also lost territory in the War of the Pacific.

Last October, Peru signed a deal allowing Bolivia to build its own port on Peru's Pacific Coast.

The demand for the return of its lost coastline is the subject of powerful national sentiment in Bolivia.

The landlocked Andean nation maintains a small navy, and schoolchildren are taught that regaining access to the sea is a patriotic duty.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Slargos

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 25, 2011, 01:32:42 AM
Lol. If they want it back that bad, go to war for it and win it. That's the only way it'll happen. (Of course it won't since Chile would clean their clock)

Bolivia has said it will take Chile to international courts to try to recover access to the Pacific Ocean, which it lost in a war 132 years ago.

President Evo Morales said Chile had failed to respond to a deadline he had set for progress in negotiations.

Chilean President Sebastian Pinera has rejected the remarks, calling them a "serious obstacle" to relations.

Mr Morales was speaking on Bolivia's "Day of the Sea", when it commemorates its defeat by Chile in the 19th Century War of the Pacific.

"Our fight for maritime revindication, which has marked our history for 132 years, must now include another element", he said at a ceremony in La Paz.

"We must go to international tribunals and organisations to demand free and sovereign access to the sea."

He added that Bolivia would continue dialogue with Chile while seeking a legal solution to its landlocked status.

Hours later, Chile expressed its "categorical rejection" of the Bolivian announcement, calling it an "unacceptable pretension".

"Bolivia cannot expect a direct, frank and sincere dialogue while it simultaneously manifests its intention to go to international tribunals," said Chilean President Sebastian Pinera.
National sentiment

Bolivia broke off diplomatic relations with Chile over the territorial dispute in 1978.
map

They resumed ministerial-level talks on the issue earlier this year, but Chile declined to respond to Bolivia's 23 March deadline for it to come up with concrete proposals on how to meet its demands.

Chile is involved in a similar dispute over maritime boundaries with Peru, which also lost territory in the War of the Pacific.

Last October, Peru signed a deal allowing Bolivia to build its own port on Peru's Pacific Coast.

The demand for the return of its lost coastline is the subject of powerful national sentiment in Bolivia.

The landlocked Andean nation maintains a small navy, and schoolchildren are taught that regaining access to the sea is a patriotic duty.

Oh, you're saying that Chile's relatively more white population naturally has an advantage against those jungle-indians? RACISS!  :mad:

Eddie Teach

It's about time for another war in South America.  :hmm:

Slargos, Chile has nearly double the population and 5 times the GNP and double the percentage of GNP as military spending(so 10 times as much money for military).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Slargos on March 25, 2011, 01:40:04 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 25, 2011, 01:32:42 AM

National sentiment

map

Oh, you're saying that Chile's relatively more white population naturally has an advantage against those jungle-indians? RACISS!  :mad:
No. Chile has a much larger economy (and IIRC) a larger population. That's all you need to know.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Slargos

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 25, 2011, 01:41:27 AM
It's about time for another war in South America.  :hmm:

Slargos, Chile has nearly double the population and 5 times the GNP and double the percentage of GNP as military spending(so 10 times as much money for military).

Yeah, there will always be rationalizations after the fact. I know what I saw.

Neil

The US was far more powerful than North Vietnam, and yet North Vietnam dealt the US a defeat so massive that it took nearly 20 years to get over it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on March 25, 2011, 07:52:36 AM
The US was far more powerful than North Vietnam, and yet North Vietnam dealt the US a defeat so massive that it took nearly 20 years to get over it.

Not really sure why you are making the comparison. A war between these two would occur on their home territories which isn't analogous to the US presence in Vietnam.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

I hope they end up settling this case on Judge Judy. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Maybe Paraguay and Bolivia can do the Chaco War II:Electric Bugaloo
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

It's good that the article was quoted an extra two times, else I might have missed it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

They signed a treaty 20 years after the war ended confirming the borders so they cannot exactly claim they did it under duress.  What international court is going to rule a treaty is not a treaty?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2011, 10:00:52 AM
They signed a treaty 20 years after the war ended confirming the borders so they cannot exactly claim they did it under duress.  What international court is going to rule a treaty is not a treaty?

It's just a lame attempt by pretty-boy Evo to shore up (heh) his approval numbers, which are lagging even among his base.  That, plus he's drinking the Chavez Crazy Juice.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Which international court is it that determines if 132 year old treaties are legal or not?  I couldn't find that in the article.

Caliga

Aren't these kinds of disputes often mediated by a noninterested third party?  I think I remember reading that Kaiser Bill settled some dispute in Oceania at one point.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points